Low carb or just high protein

Options
Do you eat very low carb or just very high protein and count calories?

I'm a week into low carb (under 100, most days around 50 per day). I just don't have ANY ENERGY!!! Barely able to work out! Wondering if I just need to give it more time or eat more carbs and have energy to spend more time in the gym. :)

Your thoughts? What would ou suggest I do?

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    The plan I am starting has equal grams protein and carbs (148 grams). Jamie Eason says "Carbs help sweep the protein into muscles".
  • blueyes_223
    blueyes_223 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I cut back on my carbs for the past two weeks, and i feel great, not too tired at all. I think you might just need to add some more protein. Hang in there!
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It's about finding what works for you. Some people simply can't handle a low carb diet. I prefer keeping my protein set and cycling my carbs. Another approach is the southbeach diet way, where I think you have almost no carbs for the first week or two and then gradually add them back in.

What are your carb sources, currently?
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    When you cut the carbs, you need to up your fat: add avocados, healthy fats such as coconut oil, olive oil, tuna fish, salmon, nuts, etc. The fat will give you the energy (and more energy than the carbs).
    I have no cravings at all and I am never hungry, and I eat under 30 g of carbs.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Carbs are an energy source and when you're not getting enough, especially if lifting, you'll notice serious strength and energy depletion. If you opt to cut your carbs that low, up your fat intake. Nuts, oils, avocados, etc to give your body an energy source to burn. I would still recommend having a "spike" day where you increase your carbs and cut your fats to refuel the glycogen stores in your muscles.
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the type of carbs your consuming, are you eating complex carbs like oatmeal, quinoa, yams,sweet potato's, beans? Also I do low carb as well however I workout fasted, so I usual have a drink or 1T. Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar, 1T. honey or 1packet of Stevia, 1/4c. of lemon juice mixed with water, and this gives me a serious energy boost to get through an hour of weights and cardio! It's also a great fat burner and you can use it as a energy pick me up during the day! Hope that helps good luck!!