How soon after waking do you eat your first meal?

Options
2»

Replies

• beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I take a thyroid med in the morning. I am supposed to take it an hour before breakfast. I take it then go on an hour walk. By the time I return, it is time to get kids up and myself in the shower. I drink 32 oz of water while getting ready for work. I don't actually eat until I get to work. It is prob 3 - 4 hours after waking. I spoke to my personal trainer about this. he said that much water should jump start my metabolism. The synthroid should be doing that too. Curious if anyone else knows if that is true? I can easily add a banan but it wouldn't be until after my hour walk.

I'm also on thyroid meds and have recently started taking them before I go to bed instead of in the morning. All of the restrictions of no calcium or high fiber foods within 4 hours wasn't working for me. So now about an hour after I get up and am at work I eat my monster sized breakfast and take my vitamins for the day.

But I agree, when I wake up I am normally pretty hungry right after waking and try to eat within an hour or so.

I didn't realize that there were restrictions like this with thyroid meds. I was taking mine upon opening my eyes, then making a big breakfast 30 min later...including fiber and calcium. I think I'll try taking before bed now. Great idea!!
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I eat within 30 -40 minutes after I wake up, I feed my 2 year old, then cook something for myself and have a cup of coffee. As other people said, I'll get lightheaded if don't eat right withing an hour or so.
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    I take a thyroid med in the morning. I am supposed to take it an hour before breakfast. I take it then go on an hour walk. By the time I return, it is time to get kids up and myself in the shower. I drink 32 oz of water while getting ready for work. I don't actually eat until I get to work. It is prob 3 - 4 hours after waking. I spoke to my personal trainer about this. he said that much water should jump start my metabolism. The synthroid should be doing that too. Curious if anyone else knows if that is true? I can easily add a banan but it wouldn't be until after my hour walk.

I'm also on thyroid meds and have recently started taking them before I go to bed instead of in the morning. All of the restrictions of no calcium or high fiber foods within 4 hours wasn't working for me. So now about an hour after I get up and am at work I eat my monster sized breakfast and take my vitamins for the day.

But I agree, when I wake up I am normally pretty hungry right after waking and try to eat within an hour or so.

I didn't realize that there were restrictions like this with thyroid meds. I was taking mine upon opening my eyes, then making a big breakfast 30 min later...including fiber and calcium. I think I'll try taking before bed now. Great idea!!

Don't feel bad. I just found out about the whole calcium and fiber thing about few months ago. And I've been on thyroid for ... 15+ years. Thyroid issues run in my family and my mother was like "Didn't you know that?? Didn't I tell you??". Um... NO!! :grumble:

But for the past couple months I've been just taking it before I go to bed and making sure I haven't had anything to eat 2 hours before that.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I didn't know either! So don't take with calcium or fiber?!?!?!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options

Don't feel bad. I just found out about the whole calcium and fiber thing about few months ago. And I've been on thyroid for ... 15+ years. Thyroid issues run in my family and my mother was like "Didn't you know that?? Didn't I tell you??". Um... NO!! :grumble:

But for the past couple months I've been just taking it before I go to bed and making sure I haven't had anything to eat 2 hours before that.

Isn't it amazing the things our doctors don't tell us?? I found out about the calcium, iron and fiber from a friend who also takes synthroid!!

My mom failed to tell me that all the women in our family go through menopause early. So when I was struggling with infertility in my early 30's due to cruddy old eggs, she was like, "Oh, I never told you that??" It would've been more helpful if she had told me like a decade earlier!!
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I eat about an hour after I get up. Get up, workout, kids are usally up watching me struggle the last 10 min, Feed them, then me.
    The kids are 6 year old (twin) boys, and a 4 year old daughter, so they dress themselves, get their school stuff ready (with a little reminding) 90% by themselves.