If lifting (IM doing NROL4W) when do you start cutting?

Options
I know there is a bulking and cutting phase but when do you know when to do the cutting and for how long? I was surfing bodybuilding .com and after eating almost 2000 cals I cant fathom cutting back to the 1200-1300 they suggested although their plan did look like a lot of food. They never say for how long to be in the cutting phase? I think I would end up binging and it would have the opposite effect.

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oh my, you never ever ever go back to eating those few cals...NEVER!!!

Ok, whew...I will let Kiki speak to that one more, but I believe the bulk phase is about 12wks. Bulk phase you add 15%, cut phase you subtract 15% from your TDEE.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Thats what I thought when I read it. i got kinda depressed because i just cant go back to that low of cals. I would be miserable. So i guess I have been cutting...lol. I have been doing the 15% of TDEE. I feel like I'm bulking though. that must be just my body adjusting to more cals then? When i say bulking..lol..I mean I feel like I've gained more fat and muscle.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting right now, and I can promise you.....it ain't on 1200-1300 cals, :tongue: lol.

But Lucia's right. To bulk, you'd be eating ABOVE maintenance, as a surplus is needed. I bulked over the winter, around 12-14 wks, at about 2300+ cals & now I'm cutting @1900. My maintenance is around 2100. Just to give you an idea.

I've written a few blog posts about bulking and cutting, if you'd like a bit more depth on that.

Here's one that explains why I bulk:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/31prvrbs/view/the-benefits-of-bulking-214021

And how long to bulk:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/31prvrbs/view/how-long-should-a-bulk-last-when-to-cut-218010

But, yes, essentially you are cutting right now, lol. If you wanted to take a middle of the road approach, you could just eat at maintenance and do a "body recompostion". This is a combined method of the two that does take a bit longer to put on the same amount of muscle, but you won't have to go back and forth between the two cycles, until it's something that you're ready for. If you are just beginning, a bulk is probably not necessary right away....

Kiki
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Thankyou so much! I just really want the extra 5-10 lbs of fat off my body (arm dangles a bit, love handles and a bit on the inner thigh.)
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    So, if I can hijack the thread and ask a piggy back question, if I'm doing new rules for women, what do I do next? I was thinking of a cardio phase, while working to maintain heavy lifts. Would this be the same? I guess I'm not bulking, since I'm not eating over, but I've almost eliminated my cardio since it was affecting my lifts.

Any insight/direction would be appreciated! TIA!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    So, if I can hijack the thread and ask a piggy back question, if I'm doing new rules for women, what do I do next? I was thinking of a cardio phase, while working to maintain heavy lifts. Would this be the same? I guess I'm not bulking, since I'm not eating over, but I've almost eliminated my cardio since it was affecting my lifts.

I believe NROLW suggest doing 30 min hiit sessions. Maybe try it on non lift days.
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I believe NROLW suggest doing 30 min hiit sessions. Maybe try it on non lift days.

I just finished reading NROLW and it does suggest HIIT for 20-30 min if you want to add some cardio, though he advises to not do cardio on days following the workouts that incorporate interval work in the actual workout
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Awesome - thanks! I bought the woman's book and am waiting for the original at the library.

Thanks again!