Sugar on 60 Minutes

Options
cranberrycat
cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
Did anyone see this on 60 Minutes? http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7403942n
I believe it aired in early April.

I posted the video link on the Zone Diet website forums, and got some very interesting comments (so interesting that the forum moderator decided to delete most of the comments on the thread--ugh!)

What I didn't know at the time, is that Barry Sears had a video chat that week, as well, and commented negatively about the piece on 60 Minutes. I didn't get a chance to hear the chat live, but did listen to it a few weeks later. I don't have the link to it, but I believe you can find it on facebook on the Zone Diet web page (and perhaps there is a link on the website, as well).

It struck me as odd that Barry Sears would be so negative about it, as it was seemingly the same stuff that he has been saying all along.

I was just wondering, did anyone else have a chance to see the piece on 60 Minutes, or hear the Sears chat? Any opinions there?

Replies

• sara0143
    sara0143 Posts: 21
    Options
    I was able to watch most of the video from your link before my computer protested. I would like to see what Sears says about it. If you find it please post it, I'll see if I can find it.
  • cranberrycat
    Options
    I will try to get the link on here. I am having computer issues, as well. I can't get to the link that was posted on FB because that site is blocked at work, and we are having trouble with our router at home, so can't get on there, either!
  • cranberrycat
    Options
    I found the link to the Barry Sears chat, you just click on is picture and then it goes to the chat.
    http://www.widgetbox.com/i/fabf9a01-834e-4c56-b9ea-513a1db8b949
  • prattep
    prattep Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    His concern is that they portray table sugar and high fructose corn syrup as the sole villains. As in his books, he points out that excessive consumption of complex carbohydrates (pastas, potatoes, etc.) contribute to the inflammation and hormonal imbalances which underlie many of the diseases discussed in the 60 minutes spot. Of course, he goes on to say that sugar stressed as the ONE toxic ingredient simply for shock value. The doctor's beef is that the solution is not as simple as just eliminating sugar from one's diet, as the 60 minutes report might have you believe.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Eric
  • prattep
    prattep Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I meant to say simple carbohydrates...
    His concern is that they portray table sugar and high fructose corn syrup as the sole villains. As in his books, he points out that excessive consumption of complex carbohydrates (pastas, potatoes, etc.) contribute to the inflammation and hormonal imbalances which underlie many of the diseases discussed in the 60 minutes spot. Of course, he goes on to say that sugar stressed as the ONE toxic ingredient simply for shock value. The doctor's beef is that the solution is not as simple as just eliminating sugar from one's diet, as the 60 minutes report might have you believe.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Eric
  • cranberrycat
    Options
    Hey, Eric!

Didn't see your response until today...

I agree, there is more to it than just that. But, my take on Dr. Sears' response to the piece was that he felt that they were wrong. He had a strong negative tone. I don't know, but if it were me, I would have given them credit for bringing up the issue, but add that there is much more to it than simply eliminating sugar.