So confused...

Options
Just looking for some support and advice
My "hubby" and mine's 7 months of peace came to an end this morning. :( No huge blowout, but I did yell a couple of times and now we aren't talking. I'm confused, because he says I am "doing it again" meaning I am acting crazy like I do when I am PMDDing. It is possible my period is supposed to start a week from Saturday, but it isn't "normal" for me to start this early. I usually start acting emotion and "crazy" only couple days before my period starts. It is also possible that I am just stressed (I am working days and nights the next two days and then getting on a plane to Virginia on Sunday because my sister is having major surgery). So, I guess I have some questions for you ladies:
1. Anyone else find it difficult to decipher between regular stress and PMDD when that time of the month approaches? I already find it difficult to be aware of my behavior when I DO know it is PMDD related.
2. Anyone else get annoyed with your spouse when they throw the PMDD card in your face every time you get angry? At least it feels that way to me.
3. How do you deal with things when you and your partner have an argument?

Does any of this make any sense?

Replies

• JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    1. Anyone else find it difficult to decipher between regular stress and PMDD when that time of the month approaches? I already find it difficult to be aware of my behavior when I DO know it is PMDD related.

Well its already hard to tell because all of our emotions feel very real. And yes of course its difficult to tell between "regular" stress and PMDD. But its important to remember they will automatically play off of each other. The stress will make PMDD worse and PMDD will make stress much worse. The other thing to consider is that typically PMDD often starts anywhere in the 2 Weeks before your period! Yes half our lives basically. Actually that is part of the definition of PMDD versus PMS. Perhaps its usually mild enough that you don't notice until it gets worse closer to your period?

Also you have a significant amount of stress right now. PMDD or no any person would be more irritable and easily upset right now.
    2. Anyone else get annoyed with your spouse when they throw the PMDD card in your face every time you get angry? At least it feels that way to me.

My hubby used to mention it but now he knows no one can predict my crazy :P

Ask your "hubby" to be understanding considering your intense work load and your sister's impending surgery. You can apologize for shouting but tell him that you don't appreciate him jumping to conclusions about PMDD being the cause of your mood or your anger. Explain to him that it feels like he is invalidating your feelings by writing it off as being caused by PMDD. That may not be his intention but its how him saying that makes you feel. (I believe)
    3. How do you deal with things when you and your partner have an argument?

If you are anything like me you probably want this resolved and life with the hubby back to normal RIGHT NOW. Now he really shouldn't not talk to you AT ALL but from what I've seen your hubby probably just needs time to cool down. I know its hard to give them that time but yeah it's probably necessary.
  • stitchinhippie
    Options
    Thank so much, JG! Much appreciated! I think you are right, the PMDD is usually mild enough that I can control it until right before my period.
    Things are much better. That time of no talking during the day I think helped us both. It helped me to take a step back and see what was important and what was just ego. And, it helped him calm down and see why I might be irritable (not just because of PMDD).