step-ups

Options
Polly758
Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
How do you add weight on a step-up? I was holding a plate weight or dumbbells, but they are getting awfully heavy and I'd like to give my wrists a break if possible. Maybe put them in a backpack?

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Try to keep using dumbells if you can, it's a handy exercise in building grip strength. I struggled once i hit 11kg/25lb each side, but I kept the weight the same for a couple of sessions and my grip strength really improved. You'll need it for when your deadlifts get really heavy!

Do you have a wrist injury?
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I do want to improve my grip... it's just that I use computer all day at work so I try to rest my wrists coz they can get so sore. But you are right that it'll strengthen up and stop hurting eventually.
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I forgot what page it's on, but the author also suggested using a bar over your shoulders during step ups. He would setup in the squat rack and put the box close to him so he only needs to take a step or two to get to it. However, he cautions that your center of balance is affected and you come down a lot faster with the weights on your shoulders, so be careful.

Or you can use a weighted vest too.