Need advice

Options
Justacoffeenut
Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
I know there are a lot of runners and such on here. So looking for advice on helping my calf muscle get better, and also other exercise idea's.

I was walking and just started jogging (in place). It started hurting a little bit a couple days ago. I just figured it was the leg exercise I was doing and the increas of activity. Well today I started my warm up and was doing jumping jacks. Not far into it and a pain goes through my left calf and that was it I was down for the count. Now before anyone say's get tough or any other rude remark I am a mother,(spend 24 hr in labor without any med's), with fibro and deal with pain daily and never take so much as a advil so when I say this was pain I mean this was pain.

I want to keep moving and getting exercise in just walking is out, jogging is out, heck jumping jacks maybe out for now. So any idea's.

A) right now have muscle rub and calf wrapped tight with a heating pad wrapped around it. Any further idea's

B) what exercise can I do instead that are calorie burners. I am just getting back into serious exercise after about a 12 year break. So need ideas

Thanks for the positive feedback

Replies

• ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hmm, since you can't use your leg that takes out many exercises, but you could try stability ball exercises, such as crunches etc. and you can look on websites for more exercises you can do with the stability ball, you could also work on your arms with dumbbells, or a medicine ball, If you have a gym member ship you can utilize the ab machines, or ask the trainers what they recommend for someone who is unable to use both legs at the moment. And I suggest having doc check out your leg just to make sure its nothing serious (but then again I'm a hypochondriac and am in the doctor office if a trip over the curb lol).
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, I usually do leg exercises, but I hope this gave you some ideas of what you could do.
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Is it like a cramp? Like a charley horse? Because I think those things are THE most painful things I have ever experienced and sometimes if I get a really bad one my muscles will be sore for days after. I notice I get these more when I'm dehydrated. Like after a hard workout or a night of drinking.

Or does it feel more like a torn muscle?
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Is it like a cramp? Like a charley horse? Because I think those things are THE most painful things I have ever experienced and sometimes if I get a really bad one my muscles will be sore for days after. I notice I get these more when I'm dehydrated. Like after a hard workout or a night of drinking.

Or does it feel more like a torn muscle?

Not like a charley horse. Hope not a torn muscle. I have it wrapped which helps some so i can still walk though it hurts. I need to keep moving somehow.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Have you check your potasiam in your diet to make sure you are getting enough. Since it seem to be worse when dehyrated, I would start with drinking a sports drink with lots of potasiam and using a foam roller to message your muscles. Talk to your doctor if it hurts longer then 3 days.