New with Questions and Advice Needed Please!

Options
Hi... I think I am in need of some advice. I have been chugging along here on MFP and have lost about 14 pounds. I generally have been sticking to the calorie allowance, although when I work out I do try to eat back some of my activity calories. However, I feel like I am slowly screeching to a plateau, and I have seen rumblings on the boards about the philosophy of eating more to help with the weight loss. This is a concept that will be a little challenging to me, as I would describe my previous eating habits as being a disorder- of the over-eating/binging kind. I finally feel like I have regained some kind of control over my intake and so eating more makes me worried that I will slip back into old, bad habits, but I am committed to trying to accomplish weightloss in the most healthy fashion, so I don't really want to starve myself either.

Here's the deal. I am a vegetarian, but I do eat dairy and eggs. I TRY my best to get most of my calories as nutritiously as possible. I TRY not to have too much processed food, but I would say my snacks can tend to be a bit more processed. In addition to walking almost every day, I try to work out about 3 times a week. I recently started doing Crossfit, and I also do P90X or some other kind of video.

If I do eat more, I don't know how much more I should be eating... what about other things, like how much fat, fiber, etc? Most importantly, if I eat more, can others suggest some specific foods that would be good to add to my diet? My diary is open so you can take a peak and see what you think.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out!

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hello from a fellow old binge/starver :D

I keep my cals the same whether I workout or not- I just eat an extra treat if I work out really hard to make sure my calories stay above my BMR.

Figure our your TDEE (and BMR) then take twenty percent (less if you're really close -say within ten poundsish- of your goal weight) off your TDEE and eat the remainder.

I eat the same every day so I no longer have binge days. I do occasionally have a free day but that's more about macros and less about caloric volume. When I started eating enough- the binge urges (basically my body desperately trying to get enough fuel to replenish stores) slowly went away. Took about a month and if I slack off- they return.

Take a read through the stickies topics if you haven't already- they'll guide you through most things.

Don't worry about eating 100% SUPERAWESOME CLEAN ALL THE TIME!!!! That's another type of eating disorder (denial and hyper-selection) that we with a tricky past have to be careful of. Eat good most of the time- don't get too complicated and controlling. :)

As far as food choices- fats, nuts, greek yogurt, avocados, good fats- it's all good. Even ice cream :D