Just Some Clarity...

Options
bachooka
bachooka Posts: 719 Member
I'm fairly new to this eating more to weigh less thing... And I'm just wondering... should I be eating at maintenence for right now? I want my probably starving metabolism to recover... what steps should I be taking?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would start at your TDEE - 15% and try it for a couple of weeks, and then adjust as necessary :)
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It depends on how long you were at the lower cal levels. Some of us ate low for so long that a full metabolism reset was required, which is what you said about eating at maintenance first.

That is what I did, because my body needed a complete reset/refeed from the abuse that I'd given it. I took probably longer than most people in this group before my body forgave me and I was able to head back in the right direction w/ my weight loss journey again. I ate at maintenance for MONTHS, focusing on giving my body healthy foods and fuel and working back in all the healthy stuff that I'd eliminated over time (healthy carbs, fats, etc). I also really needed the break mentally from the whole "diet" mentality, and to get my mind wrapped around the fact that it was ok to eat real food in decent portions.

Then when I finally decided to lose again, I was able to lose on a much smaller deficit than before, and the journey was much more pleasant. So you may wanna dig around through some of the different threads, and understand the process, and choose the path that is best for your lifestyle. Some choose to just eat TDEE -15%, and other go the full metabolism reset route, as I did. What I did took MUCH longer than most are willing to try, but the fact that I can now eat TWICE as much food, and get 10x better results, tells me that it was all worth it.......

Only you know which is best for you, mentally & physically :wink:

Kiki