"keto flu"... help... :S

Options
cobylea
cobylea Posts: 194 Member
I've just recently hopped back on the low carb wagon. I know this WOE is for me, I feel so much better once I get past the first couple of days. Which is where my problem begins....How do I get over the sickly feeling that everybody deems the "keto flu"?? I get awful headaches, can't concentrate at work and feel just plain gross. I know if I power through it things get better but these first few days feel like YEARS! Anybody have any suggestions as to get over this? Or at least make it more bearable?

Replies

• sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    try a chicken stock cube. Usually low salt is the problem because you lose so much water in the first few days. It worked miricles for me and still does when i feel fuzzy headed. Try not to use more energy than you need for the first few days too. Your body is working hard enough already in its transition :)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Like sicchi mentioned, you lose sodium as you flush out the excess water you were retaining. I munched on a lot of pork cracklins, lol.

Also, here are some more tips:

Part 1: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-i/

Part 2: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Besides salt I found more fat helped. I finally had to raise my carb intake about 10 net grams because I never could adapt to high energy exercise with 30 net grams.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Besides salt I found more fat helped. I finally had to raise my carb intake about 10 net grams because I never could adapt to high energy exercise with 30 net grams.

Absolutely...hence why I was eating pork cracklins, mmm fat & salt! haha.
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I will try and keep up my sodium and fat. It's day 2 and I feel pretty good but the withdrawal is bound to start happening soon.
  • ltowns11
    ltowns11 Posts: 134
    Options
    OMG...I had this at work this week I had no clue what was going on!!! GO figure there is actually a name for it "keto flu"! It feels terrible, you can't concentrate! I am so glad I know now there is a diagnosis (well sort of ) for this condition. I am a nurse practitioner and I need my head to be in the game at all times!!!! What I found however is that I have to keep my carbs atleast 10g or higher for optimal concentration. We have to remember carbs help to power brain function so just have to find your absolute minimum in order to maintain the ability to have adequate cognition. Thanks for the diagnosis!!! Oh yeat FYI I am at the end of week two phase one of South Beach...and lovin the results!!!!:love:
  • echarlto
    echarlto Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water. Most of the weight you lose from lowering your glycogen stores is "water weight". It's easy to overshoot and get a little dehyrated. Ketosis is also dehydrating. So keep your fluids up. Your urine color should be very light yellow or yellow-green.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    water - water - water!
    take your vitamins
    make sure you're staying full on approved foods (i didn't count calories for the 1st two weeks)

That being said my husband had it bad for a while - i was just tired for like a day or two.

you'll get through it! watch some movies and relax!
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to EAT. Most people equate "dieting" with "eating less" so it's hard to remember that when starting low carb you can eat as many calories as you want (well, need) without sacrificing weight loss.

Always have food around that you can eat - and eat it!
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to EAT. Most people equate "dieting" with "eating less" so it's hard to remember that when starting low carb you can eat as many calories as you want (well, need) without sacrificing weight loss.

Agree! I had it for two days, and upped my cals from 1500 to 2200 with more fat- feel SO much better!!!!!
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Agreed! eat eat eat make sure you're full on approved items!