jiggly percentages

Options
So quick question for those of you who've been tracking your body fat %

What method seems more accurate FOR YOU?

I used the fat2fit website tools and with the military circumference method it said I was 40% fat...which seems like a lot. On the other hand, I used the fat2fit equation where it takes your wrist size, neck size, waist, hips, etc., and it said 26%.

What the heck?? How can anyone be sure of anything with numbers that disparate? I mean really...

So I'm wondering if you've had a bod-pod experience or measured with calipers and compared to these equations, what did you find?

Replies

• jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    I think the military formular is supposed to be the most accurate but depends on you measuring in the right places and in the same place every time! I find this formular comes out quite a bit higher than my body fat scales that I have at home.

I was considering buying some calipers but thought that might just throw another number in to confuse me!

For now I am just sticking with my scales as long as my bf comes down as my weight comes off I'll assume it's as accurate as it can be...
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    All of the methods are just estimates anyways, so I just look at general trends. I occasionally use online calculators but mostly I go by my scale numbers. As long as the percentage is trending downwards I assume I am getting the results that I want (especially when my measurements are going down as well, lol).
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

I used the fat2fit website tools and with the military circumference method it said I was 40% fat...which seems like a lot. On the other hand, I used the fat2fit equation where it takes your wrist size, neck size, waist, hips, etc., and it said 26%.

What the heck?? How can anyone be sure of anything with numbers that disparate? I mean really...

So I'm wondering if you've had a bod-pod experience or measured with calipers and compared to these equations, what did you find?

Where are you taking your waist measurement?
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Someone on here said that the military BF is more accurate for men than it is for women.

I ended up using my husband's handheld BF device.

You can always just stick with one formula and track your progress. Even if you're not actually 40% fat, as you lose inches and pounds, your BF will change on the calculator. Hope that makes sense!
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options

Where are you taking your waist measurement?

One of them (I think the military) asked for waist at navel and the other asks for waist at natural waist. My natural waist is 32 and at the navel it's more like 34.

I just plugged all my info into the Covert-Bailey formula and it said....14%. WOW. Now I KNOW that's way off. If I had 14% bf I could just sit back and love my 5'3'' 170lb ripped body.

HA
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    For women (even on the military) the measurement should be at the natural waist, normally half way between the navel and sternum,
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap pair of calipers - $5.00 at my local fitness store.

The online calculators were giving me 2 wildly different numbers.