The mental battle

Options
sassylilmama
sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
Scale up, measurements the same or slightly up, pants tight from bloating. My brain is telling me this is not working and I need to go back to eating less. It has been almost 3 weeks, I know this takes time. But mentally I am having a hard time right now.

End rant/whine

Replies

• msesheta
    msesheta Posts: 29
    Options
    My scale is up again and measurements are up and my pants are getting tighter and tighter. I have 30 lbs to lose and right now this does not seem the way to do it :(

Shelley
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Scale going up again (same few pounds up/down), clothes feel tighter, water retention, etc, etc. I don't plan to measure until after TOM which I think might be right around the corner and I hope is contributing to the above miseries. The fact that I'm starving and exhausted helps me believe that TOM is on it's way. The emotional impact of TOM makes dealing with all of this even harder though. I keep adding and subtracting food from my planned diet today, scared to eat more, scared to eat less.

30 lbs to go. 3 weeks in. No changes I can see yet. But others have stuck it out for 7 weeks or more before seeing results and that gives me hope. This process takes time. I WILL WAIT THIS OUT DANG-IT!! I WILL!!!

ok...pity party over...sniff...
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Scale up, measurements the same or slightly up, pants tight from bloating. My brain is telling me this is not working and I need to go back to eating less. It has been almost 3 weeks, I know this takes time. But mentally I am having a hard time right now.

End rant/whine

that is a seriously impressive weight loss timeline you got there. i'm sure it took some real patience to get that done, but you probably under ate for a good while to get there. i think your body just needs some time to adjust.

it may give you hope (or you may want to smack me) that i've seen a drop after doing the eat more thing for almost 3 weeks. i went up about 5.5 pounds from my lowest and now i weighed in this morning a pound down from my low. i was only doing the eat too little thing for a few months though, so maybe i required less adjustment time.
  • sassylilmama
    Options

End rant/whine

that is a seriously impressive weight loss timeline you got there. i'm sure it took some real patience to get that done, but you probably under ate for a good while to get there. i think your body just needs some time to adjust.

it may give you hope (or you may want to smack me) that i've seen a drop after doing the eat more thing for almost 3 weeks. i went up about 5.5 pounds from my lowest and now i weighed in this morning a pound down from my low. i was only doing the eat too little thing for a few months though, so maybe i required less adjustment time.

I always ate higher than MFP suggested anyway. Before upping calories I was eating about 1600-1700 so I am only eating a few hundred more now. For me I tried the MFP suggested 1200 for about a week and could not do it. This is just a bigger jump. Hopefully in the next week some changes happen cuz I am not sure how much longer I can do this w/ no results.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    These things need to be taken into consideration

1. Did you eat to much sodium in the last couple of days?
    2. Is your TOM near?
    3. How much are you working out?
    4. Did you just workout the last day or so using heavy weights?

These are just a few of the things I ask my self daily. Yesterday felt like crap felt pudgy and my pants were tight and my stomach felt bloated. The day before I workout hard both my upper body and my lower body so my muscles retained quite a bit of water (I am still a little sore today from it). Add the two-three days of me being over on my sodium content and it begins to explain my feeling. This morning I woke up and even though the scale still said 128lbs I could actually see my hip bones which I haven't been able to do since I started this process. (I had a high BF% when starting). You need to look at all angles our bodies are NOT consistent every day no matter how much we want them to be every thing will cause a slight change whether that is positive or negative.

End rant!!! Don't give up yet.
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options

End rant/whine

I always ate higher than MFP suggested anyway. Before upping calories I was eating about 1600-1700 so I am only eating a few hundred more now. For me I tried the MFP suggested 1200 for about a week and could not do it. This is just a bigger jump. Hopefully in the next week some changes happen cuz I am not sure how much longer I can do this w/ no results.

yea, i was afraid i might be assuming too much there, but i went for it anyway. still, hang on for a bit. i think this is really the best long haul solution.
  • sassylilmama
    Options
    Sodium I keep in check. Most days under 1700, a couple days this week were higher but nothing crazy. TOM not near. Working out an hour a day. Sunday and Tuesday were more focused on strength. But I really do not do any heavy weights yet. I am holding out trying to give it 2 more weeks. But I am already dealing with some depression so this is not helping. Ugh life.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Just for a reference I have been eating 1800-2000 calories a day for about 6 weeks and I have bad days. This whole week I have felt yucky and like maybe I was eating to much or not enough or something we all have these days. The thing you have to do is give it time and commit. Tell yourself every morning that you are fueling your body and you are doing it the right way. I haven't lost a single pound in this process I even gained 4lbs in the first couple of weeks. So our bodies need time to adjust and go through their normal changes.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help....when I first started eating more I did so gradually. Initially my body dropped 3 pounds (2 pounds I had gained back earlier and then another pound).

Once I reached my max calories 1700, my body gained 2 pounds back again. For the last 2-3 weeks, I've been fighting with this same 2 pounds. Gaining, losing, gaining, losing. Very frustrating.

But I hung in there and now I'm going on SIX weeks of eating more and I weighed myself this morning and finally got past that darn 2 pounds!! I lost .5 this week so I finally have a 2.5 loss!! Was hoping for more but my muscles are still very sore from strength training this week.

So, for me it took an entire SIX WEEKS for my body to realize I'm not going to starve it and the food will not suddenly disappear when I get frustrated with it. I think it has finally clicked with my body that this is the way I'm going to eat for the rest of my life and it's cool to finally drop some pounds.

Oh and also I've lost inches in the meantime so while the scale hadn't showed any progress these last few weeks (until today), my clothes are fitting much better.

Hang in there....commit to it and your body will thank you!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ladies, please keep in mind that we all got to this point because we were starving and were not losing....now we are all in various stages with mental struggles....it is hard waiting it out when you want to see changes now, but I can tell you I am not at my goal yet, but I am watching myself transform. It takes time. When I stopped stressing so much about it and focused on how my clothes fit, made sure to fine tune my eating so I am hitting macros, make sure to lift heavy 3 days and try and get in min of one cardio a week max 2...feeling so much better and seeing changes in my body I decided to stop listening to the old mind telling me this isn't fast enough and to go back to cutting calories...I totally ignored because it didn't work. I feel so much better now physically that I can't go back to eating less.

It is a rough adjustment at first and every woman is different. I know you read some of the posts where some drop immediately and it is like WHYYYYYYYYYYYY NOOOOOOTTTTTTT MEEEEEEEEEEE. Well, when I was doing it, it was all by myself, there was no forum so I had to struggle with a couple of others that had the same mindset (and I say few), but I am so glad I held on. I am here to support you through this and I can't make you keep on eating, but I want you to think about how you felt in that deprived state of 1200 cals...can you really maintain that forever? Doesn't it make more sense to wait it out until your body really trusts you and to be honest sometimes I am finding that in some cases the problem is you think you are being consistent, but you really arent...I see diaries where some hit the mark a few days, then have a low cal day, up cal week, low cal week, etc...not saying that is any of you...just some things to go back and take look at.

I pray you give it more time and hang in there...it is so rewarding when you do trend down...
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The mental battle is the toughest..

I was gaining becasue i had decided to up my calories but i did not actually commit to the TDEE - 15%, as i thought it was too scary. So i went back up the 6 lbs i had already lost..

Until Sunday. I decided i was all in - TDEE - 15% after 4 weeks of wibble wobbling on higher cals but not quite TDEE-15% level..

I have now lost 1 bl Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and 0.4lbs this morning.

Hang in there.. Drink a crap load of water, take some probiotics or digestive enzymes if needed, but stick it out.

We have spent our whole lives trying the "other way" to lose weight,. and we are here because it hasn't worked... So whats it gonna hurt to give this method a real try.. I mean really commit to it. You can do it!! It will work.
  • sassylilmama
    Options
    Thank you for all the encouragement everyone. Not giving up yet.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    The mind games are actually the hardest part.. followed by figuring out how to eat more:)
    But give it time. It does eventually come around. I hit week 5 before the scale went down finally, and then got hit with AF and high sodium in week 6 so the scale is still doing wonky things. But I have to keep reminding myself that rewards do come and there are enough people ahead of me who have done this whole eating more "thing" and have shown the weight losses will come. I know I still have a lot of frustrating days where I want to throw in the towel and go back to WW and eat my points and not touch my APs, knowing I am starving myself.... even then, the weight losses had stalled..

It truly is tough mentally, but I have faith in this. I know it makes perfect sense and definitely the reasons why the weight was not budging for me, so I know my time will come