Dr. OZ diet myth #2

Options
XOchocolate
XOchocolate Posts: 95 Member
Just thought I would share this with ya all:

Diet Myth #2: The More Calories You Cut, the More Weight You Lose
It may seem counterintuitive, but cutting too many calories from your diet can be bad for your waistline. Because 3500 calories equals about 1 pound of fat, you would need to cut 3500 calories out of your diet each week to lose 1 pound a week. In order to do this, you’d have to cut 500 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week.

The problem with severely restricting diets, however, is that they jolt your body into “starvation mode,” preventing your body from burning unwanted fat. This mechanism, which is thought to have evolved as a defense against starvation, helps the body make the most of the calories it gets from food and drink; the body, in order to keep functioning, then looks to get some of it calories from lean muscle. This results in muscle loss. Less muscle means a slower metabolic rate—and in this case, stalled weight loss.

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/health/Dr-Oz-Weight-Loss-Advice-Diet-Myths-Surprise-Weight-Gain/#ixzz1tFW4LCQB

Replies

• twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that!!

I have to say that I used to love Dr Oz but since he's had his own show, he seems to have gotten caught up in all the endorsements for lame products and fad diets that don't work. So I lost some respect for him.

But glad to see this article....he's earned a little bit of my respect back!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    So GLAD a noteable DR.. said it!
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    This is my girlfriend's favorite book and does a great job explaining a lot of that:

http://www.amazon.com/You-Diet-Owners-Manual-Management/dp/0743292545
  • time2shine29
    time2shine29 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I see far too often people it eating enough on here and it's hard not to feel sorry for them.
  • XOchocolate
    XOchocolate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I know that you guys all know this already but I just thought it was cool to see it from Dr. Oz.

Enjoy your weekend everybody!