You can't help who you're attracted to, right?

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
So I've been seeing this guy for just a few weeks. He's really nice and we have a lot in common. The bad thing is, I'm not attracted to him. I feel like a terrible person for saying that. I've tried to wait it out, to see if that will change. The last guy I was with, I didn't really find him physically attractive at first, then once we took things further, that changed and I couldn't get enough of him. Even now, I get "twirly" ( :laugh: ) if I let myself think about him. But this new guy and I have gotten pretty close (not as close as the last guy and I got, but close enough), and I just don't feel that way. And I can tell he's way into me. I also think that he might be the kind of person that would let me just take over, and I don't really like that. I like someone who will push back when I push, know what I mean? I don't want everything to always be up to me...I don't want to be the guy in the relationship! :laugh:

I just don't know what to do or how to do it or what to say to him...I don't want to hurt his feelings. :frown:

Advice?

Replies

• MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Honesty is always the best policy but I'd make SURE you don't think you can ever find him sexually attractive before being honest. There will probably be no going back. I personally think physicial attraction is low on the requirements list but everyone is different. Good luck!
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Tell him to f*** off, he's going to say:
    okay.jpg

I know it because I'm like that.

So you don't want to hurt his feelings? Tell him you're lesbian or something. I don't know, I think it's impossible to not hurt him anyway if he is into you (especially because it would seem he's doing all the chase).
    Tough moment in one's life, I agree - but I'd say go for it and let him know you don't feel the attraction anymore or some lie like that. Better earlier than later.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    You're going to hurt his feelings. Do it now rather than later though if you're 100% sure. Just tell him you're not interested in pursuing something right now. Keep it simple but leave no ambiguity.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Yes. You need to tell him. If you are sure it is not going anywhere, then you just need to let him know. It will hurt less now than it will later if you let this continue.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    You're going to hurt his feelings. Do it now rather than later though if you're 100% sure. Just tell him you're not interested in pursuing something right now. Keep it simple but leave no ambiguity.
    Well said.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I'd go with... Be honest and up front about your feelings. Its always better that way.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    You're just not into him!! Let him go! :flowerforyou:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Tell him,it is the fair thing for both of you.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You have to end things before his feelings develop further. But you also shouldn't be so blunt to tell him he's not attractive.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Just give it to him straight up, we men get rejected all the time, we'll be fine. Say that you don't think things will work out because you're just not into him that way, don't BS (but don't be mean about it either). Whatever you do to try to spare his feelings will probably eventually make it more difficult.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm (mostly) with the others, in that you should probably free him to find someone else. But I'm not sure you should tell him why, because that’s not a something he can change. Someone else might find him super hot.

That said, it *is* possible to build physical attraction for someone who is otherwise perfect but in today's day and age most people are looking for fireworks.

I can send you a link about a guy whose mom AND step mom weren’t attracted to his dad and how step mom eventually grew to desire dad sexually. No man really wants that, though (which is why the son was asking, “How can I avoid having this happen to me?”)
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm (mostly) with the others, in that you should probably free him to find someone else. But I'm not sure you should tell him why, because that’s not a something he can change. Someone else might find him super hot.

That said, it *is* possible to build physical attraction for someone who is otherwise perfect but in today's day and age most people are looking for fireworks.

I can send you a link about a guy whose mom AND step mom weren’t attracted to his dad and how step mom eventually grew to desire dad sexually. No man really wants that, though (which is why the son was asking, “How can I avoid having this happen to me?”)

Agreed. Leave physical attraction out of it. Nothing worse than to be told you're not physically attractive.

And that said, I want a woman who wants to jump my bones every time she sees me and vice versa.. the building up to it doesn't make any sense to me.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I personally think physicial attraction is low on the requirements list but everyone is different. Good luck!

I agree that many other things are more important, but here's the thing about physical attraction: whether it's low or high on the requirements list, it's still a requirement. Without it, a romantic relationship cannot succeed.

As shallow as it seems on paper, if you're not physically into the guy, it's not going to work, and it's better for both of you if you end it now. If he really likes you, there is no way to spare his feelings.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Attraction isn't a choice.

Though I sense that this lack of attraction stems more from personality/behavioral issues than pure physicality.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I want a woman who wants to jump my bones every time she sees me and vice versa.. the building up to it doesn't make any sense to me.

In the spirit of disclosure, the dad in this case never knew his wife wasn't interested (though he did find out his ex was never attracted to him). So why did she marry him? Well, she did what most women do when they come across a "good catch" that will "take good care of them." They pretend to be all hot for the guy, and pretend to be whatever he likes until she snags him. Then, after the rings go on, the facade falls off and he wonders, 'What on earth did I marry."

The good news story in this case is that she recognized him as being a good MAN, not just a good catch. Sex wasn’t top of her priority list. Being with a good man was. And his treating her well eventually built up that desire. So this is what she told the son, anyway.

I’ll look for the link when I get home.
  • toots99
    Options
    Honesty is always the best policy but I'd make SURE you don't think you can ever find him sexually attractive before being honest. There will probably be no going back. I personally think physicial attraction is low on the requirements list but everyone is different. Good luck!

I don't think looks are everything, but if I don't want to be physical with someone, then (for lack of a better way of putting it) what's the point?
  • toots99
    Options
    You have to end things before his feelings develop further. But you also shouldn't be so blunt to tell him he's not attractive.

Oh I'd never say that! And it's not that he's not attractive, but just not to me. I'm not so stuck on myself that I think everyone finds me attractive.
  • toots99
    Options

That's what I mean. I'd never say that to him, that's not nice.

I get that, totally. But is it fair to him to "wait" while I build up attraction towards him?
  • toots99
    Options

And that said, I want a woman who wants to jump my bones every time she sees me and vice versa.. the building up to it doesn't make any sense to me.

Yes, that please! I don't think I'd want to be with someone who wasn't 100% into being intimate with me.
  • toots99
    Options
    Attraction isn't a choice.

Though I sense that this lack of attraction stems more from personality/behavioral issues than pure physicality.

It's that as well. It's about 50-50.