One tip!

Options
One tip I'd give is START! Start with something... anything... pick one thing like... drink more water, or don't eat after 6 or 7pm, or start exercising for 4min, or eat healthier. Don't thing much or it... just DO IT! Don't need to be perfect. Just choose one habit to start, and go for it! when you feel this new habit is part of your routine, incorporate another one. If you try to do all at once, you'll probably quit all together. Procrastinators are usually perfectionists. They want it perfect or nothing. I'll start with water. What about you? Today I'll count how many glasses of water I consume, and will increase it little by little. Yeah! Bye bye procrastination! We can do it!

Replies

• joied
    joied Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just joined this group as I agree with you that procrastinators can be perfectionists who have a do or nothing attitude. It just gets in the way. I'm willing to lend support to my fellow procrastinators when I'm not procrastinating and hope to lean on you dear procrastinating group members when I lose my way, rather than lose my extra kilos. :wink: :happy: :smile:
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    My biggest personal Procrastination Point is pre-planning and pre-packing the food I take to work. In my first month, (I am at about day 32 or 34 at the moment) I logged every single day, and just doing that has been an amazing awareness / learning process.

By this last week or two, I have settled into fairly good, healthy whole-food shopping, and packing my lunch-box jiust before taking the bus to work, but the problem is - what if I oversleep or we happen to be out of what I was thinking I would take?

For those who find getting exercising part of what they procrastinate about - Find your "zen" activity! It doesn't matter what it is. So long as you do ANYTHING regularly and with energy, you will burn fat s so long as you eat fewer calories than you burn.

A motto to help counter perfectionism:

"Moderation in all thing, INCLUDING moderation!"
  • lostman
    lostman Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello! I have been poking around on MFP lately, and saw this group. It seemed to be calling my name! So I thought I would jump in here!

I agree wholeheartedly with the "Pick one thing" idea. I had about 25-30 lbs to drop and just could not get motivated. For New Years, my son's girlfriend and I decided to both try to go dessert free 6 out of 7 days per week. I thought this might just be the push I needed to start things rolling. She and I both have a huge sweet tooth and love dessert! I also have known for some time that I really need to eat better if I was going to drop the weight and keep it off. I did not want to do any of the "liquid meal replacements" because those don't teach you to eat right. They are great when you have to have a meal in a hurry, but not a regular thing in my book.

So after going one week dessert free, I thought I would try to start just logging my food, however bad it might be. After 3-4 days of that I started to pay more attention to not only the calorie goal but the nutrition pie chart. No surprise that my daily carb amount was through the roof. Long story sort of short, cutting out dessert lead to logging food. Logging food lead to making better choices most of the time, which then lead to joining a Zumba class and walking 4-5 days/week. So I am down about 20 lbs since January. Yippee!

And a snack tip - I teach high school and have a refrigerator in my room. Sargento makes packages of Ultrathin sliced colby jack, provolone, and swiss. They are 40 cal per slice. Oscar Meyer has deli fresh sliced ham and turkey that is like 50 cal for 6 slices. I take a couple slices of cheese and a couple of slices of ham or turkey and make a couple of little roll-ups for a mid morning and mid afternoon snack that is about 100 cal! I also keep a baggie of almonds in my desk.

Thanks for starting this group! I look forward to reading others tips!
  • joied
    joied Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    what a great idea to have dessert-free days. As a diabetic 3-4 alcohol-free days per week is also recommended so I can add the dessert-free days too. of course, for me 2 weeks out of 4 per month of no cheese should make a big difference in my weight struggle but life w/o cheese is almost too diabolical to imagine!
  • lostman
    lostman Posts: 10
    Options
    The nice thing about dessert free days is that we plan our dessert day! Make it worth while! On the dessert free days we may have an orange or other fresh fruit but we have done fairly well avoiding the mindless eating of cookies, or whatever is laying around the house. I know on dessert day that I will likely go over on calories, but I make better choices about what I will eat for meals. Not a bad thing! Agreed on the cheese too! That is why I like those ultra thin slices Sargento has. I find it pretty satisfying.