Is it possible...

Options
Hey everyone! I've been reading this book and can't wait to try it! BUT is it even possible without a gym and on a budget? I have a fitness center at my apartment complex but it doesn't have free weights and only has one of those total gym type machines that I can pull one bar down from above while sitting or standing and then pull another bar up from the floor for curls that way and then one side has a bench where I can press things. Oh and a side for leg curls. So I think that it's basically everything that it says NOT to use combined into one machine! Can I use this at all just modified? Do I have to spend money on a lot of equipment. I just really want to start this but I'm afraid that it's not possible without some serious funds. Any advice?? I'm still reading and wanted to start Monday but looking at the exercises, I feel like I might have some problems.
Thanks!

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Same questions! I JUST got my book the other day and haven't started reading but can't wait to find out how far I can get at home without any space for equipment other than dumbbells. Good luck court!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely check on craigslist for someone getting rid of barbell and weights. You'd be surprised how cheap you can find them this time of year when people are admitting that they're not using that january purchase.

You can use the machine for a few of the exercises, but the good compound lifts (there are like 2 per workout) are going to be beyond you. :)
  • court617
    court617 Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks! I've been looking around on Craigslist, but the problem is I don't have a lot of room for too much and everyone seems to be selling 400 lbs of weights and benches and everything else. A little pricey, but I also live in a 1 bedroom 3rd floor apartment. I don't mind a corner of the living room having some weights but I don't know where I'd put everything!
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it at home, as he does offer alternative exercises for those at home. However, you will end up spending a considerable amount of money on weights, etc to do the program well. In the end, a gym membership *might* be cheaper.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I am doing it at home. I started thinking I could just modify and stick to dumbbells, but I pretty soon changed my mind and started buying equipment. I think I've got everything I need now, but it has cost a lot. And we've lost our spare bedroom. I also miss having a human being to check things with. But hey ho, I don't have a decent gym anywhere near where I live, and doing this is better than not doing it. Overall, though, I agree with Jessica - a gym is the better option if it is an option.