Victories, scale related or NSV

Options
missyyclaire
missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
It looks like many of y'all are in good practice mode already for our upcoming challenge. I see people putting in their ketostix results and starting conversations about this way of eating. I thought that it'd be nice to have a place where we could come and celebrate our victories, whether it's weight lost or non-scale-victories.

I, for one know that I've spent the majority of my adult life not loving my body or appreciating what it does for me day after day, year after year, even with all the abuse I've given it. As I begin to let go of some of this weight, I feel a it of a veil lifting. It feels so good to be able to try on smaller clothes at the stores. So much so that I often go, knowing I won't buy anything, but it just feels great putting on a smaller size. Two days ago I was the the Macy's womens dept and took in 2 Ralph Lauren shirtwaist khaki dresses, one in 18w and one in 16w. I was sure the 16w wouldn't fit, but decided to try it first. (I used to be in a size 24). Not only did it fit, but there was room to spare. I didn't buy it, but I sure pranced around in the three way mirror for a while. The ladies there must've though I was a little crazy.

I hope you all are having similar things happen to you, and hope that you'll share them here.

4 more days til we start!!!

Replies

• missyyclaire
    Options
    Here's another NSV from yesterday...

Back when I was 25, I went on a bike ride with friends. Ten minutes down the trail I felt like I was going to pass out and throw up. I had to stop and I was so embarassed that I had to sit on the sidelines while my friends rode on. I waited til they looped back to get me before going to the car. I felt like such a wimp. And really embarassed. I was not physically active back then and remember weighing about 252 lbs.

Flash forward to yesterday here in Minneapolis. All over this town are "Nice Ride" stations. They're little stations where you can rent an apple green bike for about $10, all done with a credit card. In about 1 minute you've got your bike and you're riding. I haven't ridden a bike in about 15 years, but I have walked, lots. So, I thought just maybe I could ride for a bit. I rode down to the river and along it, then up through the university and back to my hotel. I did have to walk it up some hills as I just don't have the strength to ride up, BUT, I rode the majority of 90 minutes yesterday. 90 MINUTES! No previous training other than walking! I was never out of breath. I stopped a few times for some water and string cheese, maybe pausing for 3-4 minutes, but the rest of the time I was riding. And I'm certainly not 25 anymore, I'm 49. 49!!! What a good feeling.

I really want to hear how y'all are doing, how your body is improving, how you're feeling, how your clothes are fitting. I love reading about your successes.
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    Tried on, did not buy, some clothes at Macy's two days ago. They all fit...well, except the Levi's. I was looking at my rear end in the mirror when I tried on several pair of pants...and was glad to see my high hips aren't as big as they used to be. I have a funny backside...my hips have always been oddly wide and my rear not so much. Now they're almost on the same plane...almost. Lol!
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Tried on, did not buy, some clothes at Macy's two days ago. They all fit...well, except the Levi's. I was looking at my rear end in the mirror when I tried on several pair of pants...and was glad to see my high hips aren't as big as they used to be. I have a funny backside...my hips have always been oddly wide and my rear not so much. Now they're almost on the same plane...almost. Lol!

Great NSV!!!
  • laurelderry
    Options
    Day 3 is in full swing and I feel WONDERFUL. I had a rough time yesterday in the late afternoon and evening and had to have a snack around 9pm... but was still able to keep my carbs in check. Today, I'm looking at my carb total to be around 21g at the end of the day (I've been prelogging to ensure I stay on track).

As of today, I'm down 2.4 lbs since the 1st!

How is everyone feeling?
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Good for you two :)!

I have a love/hate relationship with clothes... I hate shopping its my idea of torture! My husband told me yesterday I need to buy new clothes, the ones I have are falling off me lol. He understands I hate shopping since Im kinda stuck right now between womens/teen clothes. Yesterday I tossed out all the clothes that dont fit me and I have 1 pair of pants and 2 shirts lol... I need to buy all new undergarmets too! I figure I will bite the bullet and just "look" at clothes and see what happens from there.

I think being heavy most of my adult life I still see myself as that 264 pound person and still have the mind set I need to go to fashion bug or lane bryant to get any clothes. My sister in law made me go to those stores about 2 weeks ago and none of the clothes fit they were all to big lol! so now I have no idea where to shop :)
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Good for you two :)!

I have a love/hate relationship with clothes... I hate shopping its my idea of torture! My husband told me yesterday I need to buy new clothes, the ones I have are falling off me lol. He understands I hate shopping since Im kinda stuck right now between womens/teen clothes. Yesterday I tossed out all the clothes that dont fit me and I have 1 pair of pants and 2 shirts lol... I need to buy all new undergarmets too! I figure I will bite the bullet and just "look" at clothes and see what happens from there.

I think being heavy most of my adult life I still see myself as that 264 pound person and still have the mind set I need to go to fashion bug or lane bryant to get any clothes. My sister in law made me go to those stores about 2 weeks ago and none of the clothes fit they were all to big lol! so now I have no idea where to shop :)

I kind of wish you lived nearby: I hate clothes shopping too; for many varied reasons including the above! The fact that women's clothes are all sized differently depending upon who manufactures them drives me nuts!! Why can we not have just measurements like men's clothes do?

I'm also at the point where some of my clothes look better on me, but others are now too baggy and make me look thrown together. Kind of a good problem to have, I suppose...

Anyway, hang in there!!
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    Well, a trip into Macy's yesterday was kinda fun. Again, I didn't buy anything, but had fun trying on the clothes. I'm still in "women's" (How I hate that department, it's waaaaay too old and stodgy for me). I picked out 5 pairs of khaki shorts and pants in size 14. I'm not completely into that size yet, but I'm close. I was able to get all of them on, buttoned and zipped. Though I do admit I was 'squoze' into some of them! Some of them actually fit, but 10 more lbs off will probably make that size much more comfortable.

What a difference from weighing 272 pounds and wearing a tight 24. Ahhhhhh!
  • mjslazak
    Options
    Right on, Elaine!
  • mjslazak
    Options
    Ok, I had been analyzing my diary and although I was doing a much better job than I had at achieving good fat and protein levels, I had let the carb counts sneak back up (still well below the SAD, but not where I need to be for ketosis). So today I decided to kickstart things by doing an IF til noon. It was actually harder than the last time I'd done it, so I drank a lot of water and had a few cups of tea. But here I am, 12:21 pm, big salad beside me, and proud.

Now I need to work on not scarfing this down in two minutes flat. ;-)

I figure this is a good start for the weekend coming up, especially as my husband and I will be joining friends tomorrow night for a night on the town (we won an overnight stay at a boutique hotel). So although I'll make the best choices I can while eating out, the carbs may be up there again tomorrow night! I'll be back on the bandwagon again Monday.

One day at a time, right?
  • laurelderry
    Options
    Way to go Elaine!!
  • laurelderry
    Options
    Ok, I had been analyzing my diary and although I was doing a much better job than I had at achieving good fat and protein levels, I had let the carb counts sneak back up (still well below the SAD, but not where I need to be for ketosis). So today I decided to kickstart things by doing an IF til noon. It was actually harder than the last time I'd done it, so I drank a lot of water and had a few cups of tea. But here I am, 12:21 pm, big salad beside me, and proud.

Now I need to work on not scarfing this down in two minutes flat. ;-)

I figure this is a good start for the weekend coming up, especially as my husband and I will be joining friends tomorrow night for a night on the town (we won an overnight stay at a boutique hotel). So although I'll make the best choices I can while eating out, the carbs may be up there again tomorrow night! I'll be back on the bandwagon again Monday.

One day at a time, right?

I'm in the same boat- eating below my normal carbs- but still finding them creeping back up. Way to go on the IF! I have never successfully fasted, but I'd like to try.
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    mj- your free night in a boutique hotel sounds wonderful!!!