Warmup & Warmup sets

Options
Do people do the warmups in the book or would a walk suffice?

Also - is it important to do the warmup sets before each exercise? The book wasn't very clear! (so far I do all my warmup sets with body weight before doing any of the actual workout - but only to familiarise myself with the workouts.)

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I've lifted before but didn't ever do warm up sets until I started this program. I definitely recommend the warm up sets. I do a very quick cardio warm up and then at least one warm up set for the lead exercise and then the first set of exercises (ex: squat, pushup, seated row). I'm pretty warmed up for the other exercises and don't find the warm ups necessary. I use about half of my working weight for the warm up.

I use the warm up set to check my form and I feel better prepared for lifting when I get to my first working set.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    for a warm up i either do 10 minutes on the versa climber of 2 rounds of a complex (8 each of overhead squats, overhead throws, pushups, reverse lunge with twist and reverse wood chops, upright row) with a 25# weight.

i do a warmup set of squats and deadlifts where i do 15-20 quick reps using half the weight i plan on starting with. on pull down day, i also do 15-20 quick reps using half the weight i plan on starting the workout with.

warm up sets are really going to be helpful when you start getting into heavier weights. for instance i'm close to deadlifting and squatting my body weight on those and i'm pushing pretty close to my 1 max rep on those, so i definitely want to make sure i'm sufficiently warmed up so i can continue pushing my max
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I do a dynamic warm up about 10min. and warm up sets. I use empty bar for warm up sets. Doing the warm up sets gets your body use to the movement that you are doing with heavier weight and that is a great prep for the heavier weights.
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - made me realize why the warm-ups so important. I think I'll stick to doing it by the book if i eventually want to lift heavier! :)