ON MY WAY TO UNDERSTANDING!

Options
WayFonda
WayFonda Posts: 19 Member
So I finally figured out TDEE and BMR and what I should be eating. But now I'm confused about customizing my goals. My TDEE is 2365 and my BMR is 1526. To lose 1-2 pounds weekly my TDEE cut would be 1365-1865 respectively. I figured my BMR was a good middle ground. If I set my goal at 1526 and eat this everyday & complete my current exercise routine (90-120 minutes at least 5x's a week burning 800-1100 cals) MFP is going to take those calories away from what I've eaten & tell me to eat more! BUT I've already figured what I should eat based on my TDEE which already has my exercise figured in!! Why should I then eat back the calories burned if my goal is set based on this already. My Net will still be low instead of 1526! Please be patient & understand that some of us are new to this, sincerely want to reach our goals the right way, but need A LOT of help here! Your responses are appreciated!

Replies

• Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    If you are burning between 800-1000 calories in exercise a day then you need to calculate your TDEE using very active. Plus you shouldn't shoot for a 2lb weight loss a week because that will put you below your BMR each day. I can't see how eating 1865 calories and then burning 800 is healthy because it leaves you with a net of 1065 which is way below your BMR. So I believe you calculations are incorrect and you need to redo them using the very activy mulitplier.
  • WayFonda
    Options
    But very active I thought was for an individual who's on their feet busy all day. That's not me. I'm active when I exercise but otherwise sitting or looking after my kiddies & my job even is mostly driving or sitting.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Just to give you some clarification I am a SAHM, and I substitute at my local school sometimes. I work out 5-6 days a week for a burn of 250-450 calories so half of what you burn when you exercise. And I have my activity level set at moderate. So at the very least you should be a step above me. Now I am not sure if there is one in between moderate and very but you maybe if you took an average between moderate and very and use that it would be better than using just moderate.
  • WayFonda
    Options
    Ok I see what you mean.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    So I finally figured out TDEE and BMR and what I should be eating. But now I'm confused about customizing my goals. My TDEE is 2365 and my BMR is 1526. To lose 1-2 pounds weekly my TDEE cut would be 1365-1865 respectively. I figured my BMR was a good middle ground. If I set my goal at 1526 and eat this everyday & complete my current exercise routine (90-120 minutes at least 5x's a week burning 800-1100 cals) MFP is going to take those calories away from what I've eaten & tell me to eat more! BUT I've already figured what I should eat based on my TDEE which already has my exercise figured in!! Why should I then eat back the calories burned if my goal is set based on this already. My Net will still be low instead of 1526! Please be patient & understand that some of us are new to this, sincerely want to reach our goals the right way, but need A LOT of help here! Your responses are appreciated!
    Use tdee you have here and subtract 15%. Are you using an hrm for calc your burns? My hrm ran high so make sure the reviews show it is pretty accurate. When you exercise be sure you net your bmr at least. Problem with high cardio burns is you have to eat back so many cals. Are you strength training?
  • WayFonda
    Options
    Hi Lucia! Thanks for responding! I love your weight tracker pic..I want a lil ping pow like that one day lol! Yes I workout pretty intensely...kickboxing, bootcamps, run 3-4 miles, & I've recently begun strength training 3-4 times a week. I have a Polar with a chest strap & am in the gym 5-7 days a week 90-120 minutes. I'm doing weight watchers too & guess I have to start eating my activity points.