Am I the only one...

Options
HeidiHoMom
HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
I keep reading posts from people saying they have a hard time eating all of their calories.

Am I the only one who has no trouble with this???

With 3 healthy meals and a couple snacks I get right up there.

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you're not alone :) Sounds like you got to side-step the devil known as 'Diet Food'. So many folks (me included) went nuts when going on a diet - cut out anything that was remotely fattening (good fat or no), no carbs, no eating after X hour at night, no fruit (carbs!)... so basically- tons of celery, lettuce and some turkey or chicken thrown in there somewhere. Hard to eat 2000 cals of plain lettuce :D

Took me a while to get that I could eat almost exactly what I ate before- just less of some things and more of others. Less pizza, more chicken z.b.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. It kills me when I read "I don't know how I could possibly eat 1400 calories a day" - haha, I have NO problem. It's stopping at 1800 that is hard for me, there are so many good things to eat :)
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. It kills me when I read "I don't know how I could possibly eat 1400 calories a day" - haha, I have NO problem. It's stopping at 1800 that is hard for me, there are so many good things to eat :)

Exactly !! Kills me when someone says they just don't know they are going to eat 1200 cals. WTH !! I drink 700 cal protein smoothies after I lift. And , let's face it, if always had " trouble" stuffing in 1200 cals, those folks wouldn't need to be on a weight loss journey. The better food you eat, the more you can eat ...that is what I've found! Eat : )
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    Exactly Laura!!

I mean I just at 15 almonds and that's 105 calories right there!

I do not eat diet food. I did that for a while years ago but since having my first baby 3 years ago I wanted to try to cut out chemically fake food stuff and eat more whole foods which tends to be higher in calories but keeps you full longer (and tastes better IMO).

I'm also not a big fan of salad so maybe that's my problem.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Exactly Laura!!

I mean I just at 15 almonds and that's 105 calories right there!

I do not eat diet food. I did that for a while years ago but since having my first baby 3 years ago I wanted to try to cut out chemically fake food stuff and eat more whole foods which tends to be higher in calories but keeps you full longer (and tastes better IMO).

I'm also not a big fan of salad so maybe that's my problem.

That's lovely that you've never had that struggle, then. :) Enjoy your journey
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in between the group who have no trouble eating the food and those who find it nearly impossible to do so. I came here just to help me track Weight Watchers points with the online tracker and within a few weeks converted completely to MFP. While on WW, I monitored every bite that went into my mouth because I only had 18-19 points to work with each day (old program) and I wanted to eat only foods that I would be willing to eat for a lifetime while losing weight. I immediately noticed that eating just my daily points I wasn't even eating 1000 calories a day. I knew that couldn't be healthy and that it wasn't sustainable. So I started planning to add in part of my weekly allowance each day to include a more reasonable amount of food. However, I still had a problem with being so focused on my measly point allowance that I would hoard points until the end of the day and then need to eat something in the evening to meet the point allowance. It's hard to make yourself eat something more when you've told yourself you're done eating for the day and you don't feel the need for anything. Usually I would just drink milk, but sometimes I had to add something more like nuts or a piece of cheese.

Since stopping WW, I don't feel so obsessed about food like I did when each food had a point value. I feel more relaxed and am finding a comfortable balance. One thng that has helped me is that, since I always know what I will be making, I enter my main meal (usually dinner, occasionally lunch) either the day before or in the morning that day. Then I know whether I need to eat more lightly at other times or need to eat a bit more. I always did that in my head, to a certain extent, but putting it on paper helps and it also avoids any surprises later if I forgot to include something in my mental calculations.
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    I do the same thing with planning my main meals ahead of time. I usually know a day or so before what I will having the next day or two for meals because we tend to meal plan for at least a few days out of the week. I do find it makes it easier.