Jumping in with BOTH feet and SCARED

Options
TurboFireMama
TurboFireMama Posts: 121 Member
Hi everyone! I have been on a plateau since last October. Started my fitness Journey in January 2011 lost 30 lbs oodles of inches and 4 sizes and stopped at that point, even though I have more to lose. Probably close to 10 lbs or the last layer of fat to reveal my muscles underneath.

Anyhow, like most I started out eating 1200 + my exercise calories. I upped the calories to 1620 in December with no results. I have been to the Dr. for Bloodwork and thyroid levels came back normal. I was low in Vitamin D and Iron which shouldn't affect weight loss but am on supplements for both.

Anyhow, I workout 5-6 days a week full intensity burning 400+ calories and upwards of 700+ on some days. I am active during the day without the exercise as well.

I took a month off from March to April and my body responded with a 2 lb weight loss only to be lost when I started working out again. I gained it back +2. My body immediately started holding onto weight again. I maintained a strict eating plan not going over the 1620 calories during this time.

I was researching plateau here and found a thread with a link to the group. I spent about 3 hours reading through things and figuring out my BMR and TDEE and what my calorie intake should be vs what it has been. I think I have been eating at least 400 to little for months now. The weight loss during my break started to make sense because I wasn't exercising and burning as many calories and my caloric intake was probably about right and my body wasn't starving....

I also want to mention that I eat fairly clean. No processed foods. I am gluten and dairy intolerent so I am careful about consuming those if any. I do enjoy pizza from time to time. I eat chicken turkey, salads veggies, fruits. Protein shakes, luna bars raw almonds, coconut oil.

I am scared to up the calories and also challenged to get the protein my body needs, but I am ready for change. I have been so frustrated the last 6 months trying to figure this out and I know what i want is attainable and I can taste it! I just need to pick the lock to succeed and I am hoping it is to eat more.

Here is what one of the awesome members suggested for me based on my stats:

"Hi!

Your BMR is 1624 (fitnessfrog.com). Never eat below this.

Your TDEE (maintenance) is 2469 (fitnessfrog.com) multiply that by 15% = 2098 (cut)

Eat your cut daily. If you burn more than 474 calories from exercise eat the extra calories back to stay above your BMR. I got the 474 by subtracting your cut from your BMR.

Also make sure you are consuming 1 gram of protein per body weight so for you its 154 grams of protein. "

My stats:
Height: 5'7"
Weight 154
Age 37
BF% 19-20
BMR 1597
TDEE 2518 less 15% = 2140
Goal Weight 140 or to decrease my body fat to look ripped without flexing
Plateau since October
Workout to Turbo Fire 6-7 days a week
Just added running back into my routine. Run 3.1 miles a couple times a week in place of Turbo
Strength training added with free weights and JM Killer butt and thighs video

I would love to have any other suggestions. I also wanted to say that the last 2 days I have upped my calories and found that I am actually feeling HUNGRY again. Last night it seemed like I couldn't eat enough and this morning I woke up really HUNGRY....I hope that this pushes me through to seeing the results I dream about. Because it isn't for lack of trying that I am not seeing them.

Thank you for this group and for all this information! I am hoping it is the key to my success....

Replies

• TurboFireMama
    Options
    Oh and I have one more question...

What if I don't burn 474 calories in a day? Do I cut the amount I eat by the difference in calories?
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    First off- you have some AMAZING dedication going on! Six months (give or take a few weeks) of plateau and you stuck with it- you're going to do so well once you get your numbers in order. You already have the right mindset- it's just in need of the right numbers to make it work :)

It is scary to do something that sounds too good to be true- but remember EMTWL is not too good to be true. :D We won't lose weight as fast as starving but we won't gain it all back again either. We don't eat whatever we want all the time but we do eat enough to fuel our workouts. Other dieters won't understand what we're doing and we have to explain it over and over again. We do get to eat cake though- so that is quite nice :)

So I think, for me, it helps to remember this is at it's core- all about Math. Thermodynamic functions of our body need a certain caloric range for optimum conversions- so we put our body there. No magic here, just science :)

Eat your cut value- give it six weeks or so and let's just see what happens. Gotta have a start point. Your numbers look good.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

What if I don't burn 474 calories in a day? Do I cut the amount I eat by the difference in calories?

Eat your cut value even on non-workout days.
  • TurboFireMama
    Options
    First off- you have some AMAZING dedication going on! Six months (give or take a few weeks) of plateau and you stuck with it- you're going to do so well once you get your numbers in order. You already have the right mindset- it's just in need of the right numbers to make it work :)

It is scary to do something that sounds too good to be true- but remember EMTWL is not too good to be true. :D We won't lose weight as fast as starving but we won't gain it all back again either. We don't eat whatever we want all the time but we do eat enough to fuel our workouts. Other dieters won't understand what we're doing and we have to explain it over and over again. We do get to eat cake though- so that is quite nice :)

So I think, for me, it helps to remember this is at it's core- all about Math. Thermodynamic functions of our body need a certain caloric range for optimum conversions- so we put our body there. No magic here, just science :)

Eat your cut value- give it six weeks or so and let's just see what happens. Gotta have a start point. Your numbers look good.

THANK you so much!! I appreciate your kind words of advice and encouragement!! i am looking forward to some changes!
  • TurboFireMama
    Options

Eat your cut value even on non-workout days.

Thank You so much for responding to my question!