I despise lifting.

Options
AmyzNewGroove
AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
Ok, maybe that's a bit dramatic. But I definitely don't enjoy it. The past couple weeks I have felt a little discouraged when it comes to lifting. I don't get that endorphine lift (pun not intended) post lift session the way I do after cardio, and I feel crappy the next day!! I can see the progress (I'm lifting heavier and my muscle tone has visibly improved!), so I'm not about to give it up, but I just never ENJOY lifting... Does that come with time? Gosh I hope so. Have those of you heavy lifters out there experienced this?? Or did you always love lifting??

ETA: I am keeping my macros 40/30/30, and I have a protein shake post workout...it's not the my muscles are sore the day after, I just feel crappy!

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think we all just have our favorite types of workouts. Personally I love to lift weights. I also like plyometrics and kickboxing. But I dislike running! Don't know why...I can and do run and have run often enough I should like it by now, but I do not feel great after and I get bored about 5 minutes in. :grumble: I wish I liked running. it's a convenient way to get a quick burn when I'm camping or something, but no such luck.

Maybe find a way to mix it up a bit with cardio so you can still feel a little good after a workout? I know you are supposed to lower cardio if you want to lift heavy, but evaluate your goals, who you are, and make your exercise routine work for you. The more you like your workout, the more effort and time you'll put into it. We all want to get fit, but not everyone has the exact same goals or preferences in life. Decide on your goals then decide what options you have to get there. Lifting heavy has great benefits and I'm all for it, but so does general strength training of all sorts.

Play with different strength training options till you find one you like then go from there! Devise a workout that works for YOU! That YOU enjoy and still gets you to your goals. Don't just do a work out that everyone else is doing because it works for them.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    What program are you using? I hate lifting weights over and over and over. I like a few compound moves- do em and get out. Maybe try different types of lifting?
  • AmyzNewGroove
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the advice/ideas! :flowerforyou:

Jyska - what you said about everyone having their favorites makes sense. I definitely enjoy all forms of running, it's sort of my stress therapy. It's also the exercise I have the most experience with, so maybe that's part of it, too. And what Gemi said about the program, well lack of program is probably part of my problem...I've been using the machine weights and just working all the areas randomly. Maybe if I have a defined schedule of exercies I'll get into it more. I've read NROW4W, and did 1 day of week 1 but quit because I got overwhelmed by the complexity of the program and felt like a dork constantly looking at my phone app to figure out what exercise to do when... :embarassed: I recently started getting into kettlebells (DVD at home) in hopes that the added cardio aspect will help me "like" strength training more.

Really, I think the thing that bugs me most is that I feel so worm out the next day. Is that pretty normal? Usually, after I run I feel energized the day of/after, so this is a new experience. Maybe I just need to get used to that?
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Really, I think the thing that bugs me most is that I feel so worm out the next day. Is that pretty normal? Usually, after I run I feel energized the day of/after, so this is a new experience. Maybe I just need to get used to that?

Sometimes I feel totally bagged the next day after a workout (or even right after), and other times I feel great. I think for me it just depends on things like TOM, sleep, daily stressers, WHAT I ate, how hard I worked out (or if I felt like I was just slugging through), etc.

As for running, I find the best part about that is STOPPING! :laugh: :laugh:
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    LOL I feel your pain, as I despise cardio! :laugh:

I do enough to keep healthy and assist in reaching my goals, but it's not my main focus. The cardio that I do I try to make fun.

Hopefully you can find your happy medium w/weights. If not, you'll live, lol (although I might be sad if you just shunned it altogether....but I'd understand :tongue: ) . But, ya never know, it could grow on ya...or at least the results from it, could inspire you to keep it up?

~Kiki
  • AmyzNewGroove
    Options
    Lol you ladies crack me up! I'd just run all day every day (think Forrest Gump) if it would give me the strength/shape I'm looking for!! :)

I lifted this afternoon, and it might have been fluke, but I kinda *almost* enjoyed it... :O I might retract that statement when I wake up tomorrow and can't move an part of my body without extreme effort, though. ;)
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am really enjoying the lifting while I'm doing it, so far... however, I have felt like I was hit by a truck the last two days (after my first HEAVY session on Monday)... although, I think I may be getting sick.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

Sometimes I feel totally bagged the next day after a workout (or even right after), and other times I feel great. I think for me it just depends on things like TOM, sleep, daily stressers, WHAT I ate, how hard I worked out (or if I felt like I was just slugging through), etc.

As for running, I find the best part about that is STOPPING! :laugh: :laugh:

God Running I love it and I HATE it. I can only go a mile still after months.:grumble: but I LOVE the high I get from running, if I could package it I would be in heaven. Weights I love too but, I dont get that same high but man to see my the different parts of my body other than the tummy I love. Other words it may get better, but just remember weights work well!

Have you tired Rowing? That is almost a full body work out and cardio at the same time.
  • jamface11
    jamface11 Posts: 87
    Options
    I enjoy lifting, but keep it short and simple with compound moves. I hate cardio and abs, so at most i'll elliptical for awhile to warm up. Wish I enjoyed cardio more :P
  • itwasntme
    itwasntme Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think it is different for every person and finding what makes you and your body happy. I enjoy kettlebells, TRX suspension and body weight training. Just keep looking and trying new things. You'll find something that works for you.
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You could also try body-weight exercises (calisthenics) instead of lifting. I don't have a gym membership because I am a member of a yoga studio and it's too costly to do both. "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren is an excellent read. The iPad/iPhone app is great too. There is a 10 week plan and all the exercises with photos.

http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0971407614