Which way did you up your calories-fast or slow?

Options
twoboys2012
twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
What do you reckon will happen by upping my calories over 4 weeks to get to my goal calories opposed to just jumping straight in one hit???

I am one of these people who get so discouraged by a gain (again with the mentality side of it going with it) that would rather go with the way that will be less painful for me
Thanks

Replies

• swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I upped mine fast and keep losing/gaining the same .5 lb. I was using a cut of 15%, but now I'm backing down my calories for a cut of 20% to see how that goes. I have about 60 lbs to lose.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I upped mine fast and keep losing/gaining the same .5 lb. I was using a cut of 15%, but now I'm backing down my calories for a cut of 20% to see how that goes. I have about 60 lbs to lose.

Hold on, you had a cut of 15% and bounced you should go up in cals by 100 not down. When you are bouncing when you've increased it means you need more not less food. Also always allow 4 wks of bouncing before you do anything...and goin down is not the ticket unless after 6wks of weighing you are truly trending upwards.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    What do you reckon will happen by upping my calories over 4 weeks to get to my goal calories opposed to just jumping straight in one hit???

I am one of these people who get so discouraged by a gain (again with the mentality side of it going with it) that would rather go with the way that will be less painful for me
    Thanks

You need to do what you feel you must. Slower will be less fluctuations. Make sure to read what to expect when upping.
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Hold on, you had a cut of 15% and bounced you should go up in cals by 100 not down. When you are bouncing when you've increased it means you need more not less food. Also always allow 4 wks of bouncing before you do anything...and goin down is not the ticket unless after 6wks of weighing you are truly trending upwards.

I was really debating between 15-20% since I have so much to lose. I only jumped back down this morning, so I guess I'll go back up and see where I am at 6 weeks. Thank you for confirming what I should be doing.
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I dove all in. I think the benefit to doing it all at once is that your body will fully readjust sooner, and you can start losing again sooner... buuuuuut, you are probably more likely to see a bigger gain at first.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I am going slow because I have breastfeeding calories to eat as well and I'm not really sure exactly how many I burn with that. So if I continue to lose I will up them again in another few months.
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    How old is your baby/how often are you feeding? A good rule is 20 cal/ oz of breastmilk. My toddler feeds at bedtime still, which I guesstimate is about 10 oz, so I add in an additional 200 cal a day for him.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    How old is your baby/how often are you feeding? A good rule is 20 cal/ oz of breastmilk. My toddler feeds at bedtime still, which I guesstimate is about 10 oz, so I add in an additional 200 cal a day for him.

He is 5 months and not a big eater in terms of quantity per nursing but I feed on demand so I honestly couldn't tell you how often he nurses. He sleeps through the night though. I can't pump so I don't know exactly how much he is eating but he gets one bottle of formula at 11pm and he typically drinks about 4-5 ounces then.

I think on average I nurse between 7-10 times a day depending on whether he is having a growth spurt. BUt I am also considered obese at 5'2 197 lbs. So I have read that I don't need to eat as many calories for breastfeeding as someone else who isn't overweight.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

I was really debating between 15-20% since I have so much to lose. I only jumped back down this morning, so I guess I'll go back up and see where I am at 6 weeks. Thank you for confirming what I should be doing.

Yes please at the six week mark post where you are and we can go from there based on not just wgt, but how you are trending, incheslost etc.