First NROL4L workout

GorillaNJ
GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
Today is the day, read the book time to do the first workout. Part of me wishes that there were some predefined workouts but here is what I have made for myself following the Werkit workout log

Core
Plank
Side Plank/Row

Power
Box Jump

Strength
Back Squat
Lat Pulldown

Off set Set up
T-push up

Metabolic
Kettlebel.

How did I come about this plan... well I have not done any sort of plank in about a year so that is why I picked two of the easier planks for my core portion.

Power, I have been seeing people doing the Box jumps in my gym and donot even know if this while man can jump, i need to find out....

Strength, I just love to squat and really do like pairing them with pull downs. The second half of stregth, can't go wrong with step-ups and I have never done them off set and well T-pushups are on the cover of the damn book.

5 minutes of swinging a kettlebell at the end of the workout seems like a good way to polish myself off.

I will let you know how it went!

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    Well... reading it I was worried maybe the workout was not going to be as intense.. asking my muscles now... it was a killer. The kettle bells at the end... damn

The side planks with the row was really awkward.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Yeah, it always looks easier on paper! So the box jumps went okay? I am afraid of the box jumps...not sure I can jump, either. I actually tried jumping up onto my couch yesterday to see if I'll be able to pull these off in the gym. I figured if I missed I wouldn't get hurt. LOL. I made it, but I felt silly in front the dogs. Anyway, looks like you put together a good plan. The cool thing is you can switch out the exercises whenever and not feel bad about going off program. I am going to work on putting together a program for myself and a friend while we're finishing up Fatloss III.
  • kazzari
    Well... reading it I was worried maybe the workout was not going to be as intense.. asking my muscles now... it was a killer. The kettle bells at the end... damn

The side planks with the row was really awkward.

I did the side planks with row in NROL4abs...yes, they are challenging in their awkwardness, but kind of fun. Alwyn had us doing those at the Perform Better Fitness Summit in Long Beach, CA last August, along with all those crazy RAMP exercises.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Sounds like a great plan! Box jumps scared the hell out of me! *lol* I am not the most graceful of people and I can totally see myself tripping and breaking a leg. *lol*
  • GorillaNJ
    Well the morning after review.. Turns out it was a great workout. I am nice and sore, especially my back from those kettle bells! I went back and re-read the metabolic portion of the workout... and guess I kinda did it right. I guess I glanced through the chapter and tried to do a straight 5 minutes with the kettle bell. I got to about 3 and a half and had to take a break... which I should have been doing anyway.

The box jumps scared me too... there are two different level of boxes at my gym, the one I use for step ups which is about knee high and one that is about half of that, just above my ankles. I looked at the tall one long and hard and then ended up using the smaller one... i know I would have busted my face if I tried to double leg jump on to it.

And Kazzari... I confess, i do not do those Ramp exercises.. I normally do a couple of the ones that are the least absurd looking before my workout.
  • GorillaNJ
    Well yesterday was my first work out B.. and it was a killer. I still need to fine tune it a bit but I left the gym quite exausted and have a good level of sorness today. When I got in from the gym I had some serious soreless in my lower ab region, maybe I did too much with the core for me

Core
    Side Plank
    Plank Pulldown

Power
    Levitating Pushup

Strength
    Romanian Deadlift
    Dumbell Bench Press

Reverse Lunge from Step
    2 Point Row

Metabolic
    Stairmaster sprints
  • pugsley5
    pugsley5 Posts: 38 Member
    Sounds like a great plan..Will try today..Thanks!
  • kazzari
    Nice! I've seen my son do levitating push ups. Pretty sure they are beyond me. I'm having enough trouble with the explosives...I have a hurt shoulder.
  • GorillaNJ
    Nice! I've seen my son do levitating push ups. Pretty sure they are beyond me. I'm having enough trouble with the explosives...I have a hurt shoulder.

I am pretty sure you can do them, even in the book he points out it is only marginally harder then an explosive pushup.
  • GorillaNJ
    These workouts are really kicking my *kitten*...
  • kazzari
    Awesome! You did a good job putting it all together, apparently. Have you made any changes?
  • GorillaNJ
    Awesome! You did a good job putting it all together, apparently. Have you made any changes?

I have kept the same workout so far, I did the 3rd Workout B this morning before work. That had me really pressed for time so I was at a quicker pace and it really did take more of a toll on me. One more workout each and then it is on to the second phase of workouts....
  • GorillaNJ
    Just about finished with Phase 1 workouts.

My overall impression of the workouts is that they are grueling. The two sets of 15 and me really pushing myself on the amount of weight i am using has been leaving me sore, but more tired then sore I think. The workouts were very challenging and did have me pouring sweat by time I left the gym.

Yes the different moves like the reverse lunge off a box has challenged parts of my legs that were not before.

In retrospect, I should have included a more shoulder exercise in there somewhere, and I will make that change in the next phase as I plan it out.

And Lesson learned, recovery with the roller is amazing. I cannot believe how after the 8 minutes of kettle bell swings, my back would be squealing, and a couple rolls how much better i would be feeling. And how not sore I would be the next day from it. Same with the stairmaster day... rolling out my calves worked wonders.... even if they are still constantly sore, they have not cramped in a long time.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    I finally got the book from the library and tried workout A yesterday. It felt great while doing it, I'm nice and sore today (but not too much) and I'm looking forward to the next workout. Before this I did the NROLFW and also Stronglifts 5x5 and I'm hoping i can just go to step 4 on the squat and push exercises, but the rest I think starting at step 1 will be just fine, especially those dynamic stability exercises. Is it okay to just use a small handheld weight rather than a cable pull on those? I don't like the idea of essentially laying down under the cable station and taking up all the room. My gym can get crowded and there's often multiple people using the cable pulls at once.
  • GorillaNJ
    I finally got the book from the library and tried workout A yesterday. It felt great while doing it, I'm nice and sore today (but not too much) and I'm looking forward to the next workout. Before this I did the NROLFW and also Stronglifts 5x5 and I'm hoping i can just go to step 4 on the squat and push exercises, but the rest I think starting at step 1 will be just fine, especially those dynamic stability exercises. Is it okay to just use a small handheld weight rather than a cable pull on those? I don't like the idea of essentially laying down under the cable station and taking up all the room. My gym can get crowded and there's often multiple people using the cable pulls at once.

That was my biggest concern with the pulleys too.. luckily my gym has an area with these lifefitness machines. It is not a busy area, and I can adjust the pullies there. I had read some people use an exercise band wrapped around a post or something like that. I would guess if that does not work a dumbell should do the trick.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    That was my biggest concern with the pulleys too.. luckily my gym has an area with these lifefitness machines. It is not a busy area, and I can adjust the pullies there. I had read some people use an exercise band wrapped around a post or something like that. I would guess if that does not work a dumbell should do the trick.

Thanks for the ideas - I can definitely do the resistance band in the stretching area.