NRoL for Life

Options
laurarpa
laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
I'm only part way through it, but I think I like this one better! So much more flexible and some really good key points/explanations. It is pretty much addressed to middle aged+ but there's nothing that makes it applicable to only hat age group - it's totally adaptable/challenging for wherever you happen to be. LOTS of levels of making it harder/mixing it up.

If you haven't started yet and don't have NROLFW then I'd totally recommend this one instead, especially if you are older. That's just my opinion, though, of course.

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Do they have a laid out program like NROLFW? How long is it? What kind of exercises do they include in this one? I have been thinking of checking it out, but haven't yet. Thanks for your help!
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    He lays it out as a 12-week program with 3 phases. Transorm, develop and maximize. Then you can repeat it with more weight/more advanced/different exercises, increased sets/reps.

You make your own program by choosing the exercises you want to do. You start up with RAMP/warmup then proceed to core training, power training, strength training, and metabolic training in every session.

For core training, you pick 2 core exercises from stabilization and dynamic stabilization. For instance, plank, side plank with all kinds of harder and a few easier variations, Plank and rows, plank and pulldowns, spiderman plank, mountain climber, cable chops,

Power training is some pylo stuff like explosive pushups, jump squats, box jumps, kettlebell swings, single arm snatch...

Strength training still gets an A & B workout. In each workout you'll have a "push", a "pull" and a lunge or single-leg-stance. A will have a squat and B will have a hinge (deadlift variation). In pHase 2 there are combinations (such as squat with a press) and phase 3 has more combinations. In phase I you do 1-2 sets of 15 reps. In phase II you 2-4 sets of 10 reps. In phase III you aim for 2-3 sets of 12 reps.

Metabolic training - the point of this is to do simple drills such as pushup, squats, kettlebell swings to exhaust your body and really kick up the afterburn.

And then of course there is some recovry stretches/ techniques etc.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Sound good ! I like the core stuff being first and I also like the fact that they have power and strength and metabolic work in every workout. Right now I'm doing Starting Strength, then I'll be off of heavy lifting for about 2 months-summer vacation and all and I'm planing to go back to heavy lifting Sept. , so that will be def. something to look into. I can't wait to hear more about you experience with it! Thanks for all the info!