Starting to eat more but need help with TDEE

Options
Hey all,

After losing 23 pounds on MFP's recommended 1,200 net calorie plan (but not always eating back all my exercise calories), my weight loss has slowed but more concerning was that while I had a lot of physical energy, I was starting to lack concentration and focus. I did a little research and found you all and realized that perhaps I haven't been eating enough.

I"m sure you've gotten many, many questions like this before, but I'm trying to figure out what my new calorie goals should be. My current BMR is 1,464, but where I'm getting mixed up is estimating my TDEE. I have a desk job so am sedentary much of an average day, but I workout at least 5 days a week, 2-3 of those days being roller derby practice where I usually burn at least 600 calories (according to my HRM). The others are runs or crossfit-style workouts that incorporate strength and high intensity cardio. For estimating my TDEE, does that make me "sedentary," "lightly active," or "moderately active?"

Thank you! I'm going to go have a snack before my run....because I should. :)

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

After losing 23 pounds on MFP's recommended 1,200 net calorie plan (but not always eating back all my exercise calories), my weight loss has slowed but more concerning was that while I had a lot of physical energy, I was starting to lack concentration and focus. I did a little research and found you all and realized that perhaps I haven't been eating enough.

I"m sure you've gotten many, many questions like this before, but I'm trying to figure out what my new calorie goals should be. My current BMR is 1,464, but where I'm getting mixed up is estimating my TDEE. I have a desk job so am sedentary much of an average day, but I workout at least 5 days a week, 2-3 of those days being roller derby practice where I usually burn at least 600 calories (according to my HRM). The others are runs or crossfit-style workouts that incorporate strength and high intensity cardio. For estimating my TDEE, does that make me "sedentary," "lightly active," or "moderately active?"

Thank you! I'm going to go have a snack before my run....because I should. :)

You are def MODERATE:-) get that number subtract 15% which should be about 1900 and change, be sure to net your bmr when you have high burns.
  • slammy1079
    Options
    Thank you! Looks like my cut goal is 1,889. And if I burn more than 424 calories in a workout, I will eat enough back to net my BMR of 1,464. Do I have that right? :)

I've been driving myself nuts trying to figure out what I should be increasing to. I'm going to up calories immediately and stay away from the scale for a little bit so I don't freak out. Even after a couple of days of eating a bit more I'm feeling a lot better - more alert and focused.

Thanks again!