Starting heavy lifting today!!!

I purchased NROL4W a week ago, read through it, and joined a gym on Thursday. I have wanted to join a gym for a long time, but I was having trouble justifying the expense. Then, last week, I found out that the company I work for is changing health insurance companies starting May 1. One of the benefits they offer to everyone enrolled is a $20/month reimbursement on gym dues for members who visit at least 12x/month. So, that was the last thing I needed to be convinced that joining a gym was the right thing to do for me. :)

I have mapped out my plan and am beginning the journey of lifting heavy via NROL4W today. I am psyched. I have lifted a few times before, but never had the guts to spend much time away from the machines. I am ready to do some squats, deadlifts, and prone jackknifes!!! Today is the day I toss the barbie weights and start building muscle, reducing body fat, and watch my body transform!

Will report back after I work out. :happy:

Replies

• Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    OH!!! The prone jack knife is killer, but you know it's working!!!!! So sore from that one. Good Luck to you!!!!!
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    I'm back! My whole body feels like Jell-o. I kinda like it, because it proves I did some serious work.

I wasn't sure where to start with the squats, but I knew I could do more than the 45-lb bar. I did my warm-up set with just the bar, and then I added 25 lbs for my first set. That felt good for my first real set, but I felt that it was still a little too light for me. For my second set of squats I added another 5 lbs--so, 75 lbs total. That was just about right, but I think I could still do more. When I do Workout A, round 2 in about 5 days, I think I might start out at 80 lbs on the squat and see how that goes. Right now I'm just trying to find the right balance--perfect heavy weight vs too light or stupidly heavy.

My lesson to myself for today is: read the descriptions of the workouts a little more closely. Stage 1, Workout A, round 1 calls for 2 sets of 15 reps for most moves. I applied that to the prone jackknife as well and OMG! I was focusing so hard on keeping the *$%@ ball from rolling out from under my legs that I lost count. I think I got about 15 reps on both sets, though.

I came home to find that I only had to do 2 sets of 8 reps for the prone jackknife. *FACEPALM* I'm pretty sure my form was wretched, though, so for the rest of Stage 1 I will follow the # of reps in the book and focus more on maintaining good form on the prone jackknife--since I know I can do 15 reps already. :blushing:
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    You rock! Getting to the NROLW is my ultimate goal. Thank you so much for sharing the start of your journey! I'm soooo following this! If you start a blog or anything please let me know!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Great job!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Awesome! Don't forget to videotape yourself so you can check your form- form is WAY more important than the weight. The weight will go up but form has to come first. :D

Congrats!!!!
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Wow, girl, you go! That's quite an impressive starting squat weight. Just remember you'll be doing your AMRAP with that weigh ;-)
    Let's hear back to see how you feel tomorrow :)

I've done the same thing with jackknife ... they are killer too. Even though I have the worksheet printed out and with me, I get carried away with the count from the other exercises.

Good luck with this journey!
  • junebug523
    Thanks! I am *blessed* with big thighs (can't believe I just said that), which seems to mean I have a lot of strength there too. Before I joined my gym I would load my backpack with about 40 lbs worth of hand weights and heavy books...and I would do 3 sets of 50 reps. It was ridiculous...I knew I needed a bigger challenge. Very happy to have the resources in my gym.
  • junebug523
    Update: I wasn't too terribly sore after NROL4W, Stage 1, Workout A--a little soreness in my abs when I cough or laugh, and soreness in my quads. 48 hours after the workout, I was still feeling my quads, but other than that I felt READY to work out again.

Tonight I did Stage 1, Workout B for the first time. My conclusion after working out was that it was too easy today. On some of the moves (deadlift, shoulder press, lat pulldown, lunge) I increased the weight on my second set because the first set was too easy. By the end of 15 reps on the second set, I was definitely feeling it--but I still think I can do more.

Deadlift: 60 lbs both sets...I realized after I came home and reviewed the move in my book that my form was pretty bad here, I may stick with 60 lbs next time and just really focus on getting the form right.

Shoulder press: 12 lb dumbbells...tough to say with this one. By the end of the 15 reps my arms were shaking a bit, but the weights still didn't feel all that heavy. I think I will try moving up to 15 lb dumbbells next time and see if I can make it all the way to 15.

Lat pulldown: 55 lbs first set, 70 lbs second set. I think 70 was just right. Just need to get my form right on this one...I don't think I was scooted in enough on the bench.

Lunges: 30 lbs first set (two 15-lb dumbbells), 40 lbs second set (two 20-lb dumbbells). I think 40 was about right. My quads were really feeling it (I think because they were still a bit sore from Sunday's workout).

Swiss-ball crunch: 8 reps was way too easy for me. Think I will add weight next time.

So...that's all for now! I am excited to do Workout A again in a couple of days. Especially ready to tackle that prone jackknife again...