Accidentally did Week 5 Run 3!

Options
NicoleJ21
NicoleJ21 Posts: 3 Member
Went to the gym today, thinking I was going to do Week 5 run 2 - I've not been sticking fully to three times a week in the last few weeks and have done Wk5 run1 a few times, and one Wk5 run2 in the middle somewhere.

I use the NHS Choices podcast and was relieved when Laura said that was 5 minutes over. I carried on running and it seemed like 8 minutes must surely have passed, so I checked and 9 and a half minutes had gone by. I had pressed the wrong podcast! I was briefly tempted to stop running as Week 5 run 3 scares me a LOT, then thought 'well, I've started now...'. So I carried on and it was fine - 20 minutes isn't so scary! I felt so much better after, especially since I'd probably have kept on repeating the rest of Week 5 for quite a while out of fear and lack of confidence!

If anyone is about to do the first 20-minuter, don't worry, it's actually fine! The mental challenge is the worst bit, but then the mental challenge of starting to run again after you've had a walking interval is sometimes worse for me.

Replies

• gersoco
    gersoco Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! You should feel proud of your accomplishment... Oh and as a bonus, welcome to Week 6!! :-)

I recall doing something similar in Week 5 when I accidentally programmed the 'droid app RunKeeper with the Day 2 times instead of Day 1.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Well done you!!!! that's a brilliant achievement

I recall the 20 min run and was absolutely dreading it, I said to myself if i manage 12 or 15 min ill be happy and come back another day to do 20min

coming up to 20min i felt so good that i decided to add on another 5min then another and another eventually covered 5K and did have a bit of a teary moment at the end to think that id done 5k which was a hell of an achievement for me who has never run

Ive since done 2x 10k training runs and will do my first 10K race on June 17th

Keep at it and HAPPY RUNNING :bigsmile:
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    Well done! I've only just done W3R1 and although I found it a lot easier than I thought I was going to, I'm still dreading W5R3! So I'm glad to see your post, gives me some hope!
  • NicoleJ21
    NicoleJ21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I can't say I'm actually properly enjoying it yet, apart from when Laura says it's over and well done! It did feel good when I got over 10 minutes though.

Bex: I find the key is trying to forget I'm running, so distractions or daydreaming are good. Maybe plan your dream holiday so you're thinking of something good!