Heavy lifting vs more moderate weights

Options
Gardengail
Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
Hello, all. Do you consider heavy lifting (vs. more moderate weights/machines) key to this philosophy?

Just curious as I had surgery to replace a heart valve about a month ago. Tomorrrow I have my cardiac rehab assessment and will have guidelines from their perspective. (The heart valve issue was congenital vs. general heart disease. I don't have high cholesteroal, high BP, any blockages, etc.)

Prior to that I was lifting weights (machines) and doing cardio at the gym for 19 months or so. (leg press: 210 pounds, leg extensions/curls/ adductor/abductor: 65, lat pull downs: 70, bicep curls: 40, triceps: 40, ab machine: 70, chest press: 50)

Thanks!

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say lifting heavy (for an individual amount of 'heavy') was the real key.

The real key is learning to eat to fuel and not to deny or punish. To learn how to eat enough without too much, how to exercise enough without over exerting ourselves. How to grow in our relationship with Health and not do damage to ourselves as we lose weight and get in shape.

I would never, ever presume to tell you to do anything other than what your cardiac team will clear you for. Hopefully they can recommend a great physical therapist and/or PT gym for you where you can lift AND be safe. See if there's a neurological rehab gym facility that they can get you a script to attend- lots of great equipment there for all levels.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Fueling the body regardless of workout regimen is vital because the body requires a certain amount of nutrients to function. When calculating your TDEE, you would use the activity level that is appropriate for you. The key is to have a deficit, so if you calculate your numbers correctly, with a deficit you will have weight loss.

Yes, please find out from your doctors what you are cleared to do.

We do suggest heavy lifting because so many women tend to go light and won't venture into a weight room. There are so many ways to lift, but we get them in the mindset of going heavier in the weightroom to get them moving in that direction.
  • Gardengail
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure it will be a while before I get back to even my pre-surgery weights and will, of course, keep my specific circumstances in mind.

Today's assessment appointment was not particularly insightful or challenging. The only thing they had me do was 17 minutes on a recumbent bike (15 at a level 3, which I would say was light, and 2 minutes at a level 1). Very easy and they were happy with the heart monitor numbers and my BP. Wednesday's session is supposed to be cardio and weights for a total of an hour and we'll see how that goes. Then they are supposed to give me guidelines to take back to the Y so I can reset my program. After the rehab 'warm up' I went to the Y to do the rest of my required daily walking. Our Y has lots of different cardio equipment, an indoor track, many classes, free weights, weight machines, etc., so it is a really nice place to go.

Tell you what, I felt like the healthiest patient there - same as when I go to the cardiologist. I'm happy to be healthy! Monday I go back to work, too, so I'll see if I am still up for working out after hours or need to change to the morning.

Thanks again!
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure it will be a while before I get back to even my pre-surgery weights and will, of course, keep my specific circumstances in mind.

Today's assessment appointment was not particularly insightful or challenging. The only thing they had me do was 17 minutes on a recumbent bike (15 at a level 3, which I would say was light, and 2 minutes at a level 1). Very easy and they were happy with the heart monitor numbers and my BP. Wednesday's session is supposed to be cardio and weights for a total of an hour and we'll see how that goes. Then they are supposed to give me guidelines to take back to the Y so I can reset my program. After the rehab 'warm up' I went to the Y to do the rest of my required daily walking. Our Y has lots of different cardio equipment, an indoor track, many classes, free weights, weight machines, etc., so it is a really nice place to go.

Tell you what, I felt like the healthiest patient there - same as when I go to the cardiologist. I'm happy to be healthy! Monday I go back to work, too, so I'll see if I am still up for working out after hours or need to change to the morning.

Thanks again!

That's great that they're giving you weights and cardio- what a blessing! Think they'll eventually work you back up to more challenging stuff? Did they give you a timeline?

Double bonus that your Y is awesome!
  • Gardengail
    Options
    They haven't given a timeline yet. Maybe Wednesday. As far as more challenging, I'll probably get to that on my own in the future since I am strongly self-motivated. My husband keeps reminding me that surgery was only 4 weeks ago and over achievement isn't always a plus. At the Y today I walked 3 miles on the indoor track -- 2 in 17 minutes each and 1 in 20 minutes (trying to get some of the cool down on the last one). I have to walk so many minutes, then rest a certain period in between. (And I really just want to keep going w/o the rest period, but I really am trying to follow directions.) In GA it is already too hot for me to be outside much - the heat really saps my energy right now, so I am glad to have the Y.
  • Gardengail
    Options
    So here are the extensive guidelines I received from cardiac rehab: 1) my max heart rate should never be more than 10 to 30 BPM above my resting heart rate for that day; 2) don't lift anything over 10 pounds for another month, then nothing over 25 pounds for the balance of 4 months post surgery and 3) nothing above 13 (somewhat hard) on the Borg RPE scale.

After the 4 months I can begin to increase again, staying w/i the heart rate guideline and RPE scale. It's a new beginning!
  • gemiwing
    Options
    So here are the extensive guidelines I received from cardiac rehab: 1) my max heart rate should never be more than 10 to 30 BPM above my resting heart rate for that day; 2) don't lift anything over 10 pounds for another month, then nothing over 25 pounds for the balance of 4 months post surgery and 3) nothing above 13 (somewhat hard) on the Borg RPE scale.

After the 4 months I can begin to increase again, staying w/i the heart rate guideline and RPE scale. It's a new beginning!

That sounds great and totally doable! The light weights will really give you time to work on form which is so important. Plus you don't have to feel guilty for not going higher in weight as fast because you're under doctors' orders :D

You must be recovering very well for them to allow you such a wide window! One of our family members was told no exercise period for six months post op.
  • Gardengail
    Options
    Thanks, gemiwing. My recovery has gone very well. Since was 'just' a congenital defect in the valve and I am otherwise in good health I think it was easier for me. So many people that have heart surgery have other health complications. Everyone has their own story and situation to deal with. I am blessed! Looking forward to returning to work next week, too.