Stressing out

Options
Our Anniversary Cruise is Exactly 6wks from tomorrow. I know cardio is supposed to be limited but I want to make as big a change as possible in 6wks. If I add more cardio in stage 1 week 2.....will this mess up everything???? I want to shed as much fat as possible by then. I would love to feel comfortable in a dress, short and swimsuit. I'm LOVING lifting heavy but also honestly want to shed some weight as well. I'm 5'6" and 161. I know some pounds need to be lost as well. Has anyone started at a later stage where cardio was included? Help

Replies

• CharleneExtreme
    Options
    Maybe walking will be okay?? I think the reason they don't want you doing cardio is incase you get injured and it interferes with lifting - but i cant see walking being a problem!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've done cardio all throughout and no issues with it limiting my ability to lift. for stage 1, i did 30 minutes on lifting days and 45-60 minutes on non lifting days. i primarily run, row and versaclimb
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting my third week tomorrow, but have been doing cardio so far. On lifting days, I run a mile to warm up and a mile afterward if I'm feeling good. On off days, I've been either running or taking a class (but I make it more low impact). Good luck!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I do a 15-20 minute cardio warmup before I lift too, and 60 minutes moderate cardio on non-lifting days. I'm in the same boat as you. I want to build muscle, but I have GOT to burn off more fat, too.
  • TheReese1206
    Options
    Thx
  • hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Same boat as you guys...I started stage 1 week 2 today and have from beginning kept with cardio too..typically I'm doing about 30 mins cardio on lift days and up to 50 mins on non-lift days, with one day off...have to burn the fat as well as build muscle...I couldn't only do lifting every other day! Good luck everyone :)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I did cardio all through stage 1 and I was fine, tired sometimes, but fine. I would do about 15-25 minutes on lifting days (running on the treadmill, elliptical, bike or some combo) and then another hour of intense cardio two times a week on non-lifting days. So I was lifting and doing cardio 3x a week, and purely cardio 2 days a week. Just listen to your body, stretch after your workouts and take care so that you don't get injured. As long as you are feeding yourself with plenty of healthy fuel, you should be OK.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading the book, and I think cardio is ok as long as you are really listening to your body. The reason he limits cardio is because your muscles need to be able to recover. So if you are doing intense cardio it could take away from muscle recover and also limit how much you can lift if you're tired. I'd say start slow, see how your body responds. Refer to the book for the clues you're doing too much. Possibly you could cut back on lifting to 2 days a week and do cardio 2 days a week depending on how intense your cardio is. Remember that weight training actually burns fat, cardio just gives you a calorie deficit unless you'[re doing intensive cardio which draws from your fat stores. Either way, good luck and I hope you feel fabulous wearing a bikini on your anniversary cruise!