"Netting BMR" is a mathematically flawed concept

Options

Replies

• rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yes, lifting and cardio. Taking measurements too! No movement in 11 weeks. In fact, I tracked my weight every single day for the month of April looking for trends using https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet and my weight trend is flat or gaining by the end of the month.

I actually used fitness frog to calc TDEE and BMR and then subtracted 15% so

TDEE = between 2100-2400 depending on workouts/week
    Eat = 1700 net on light days and 1950 on workout days

but something is not working. I think I might be eating too much by shooting to "NET" these values. Maybe I should just eat a flat 1800 every day or something, regardless of exercise.

I'm still not clear on whether you logged anything as exercise in your MFP diary. If you calculated your TDEE (including exercise) via another website and used it as your target, then you shouldn't be logging the exercise calories on MFP, or you're double counting them and eating too much.

If you don't log anything in the MFP exercise diary (in other words, if all your calories burned were accounted for in your original target), then your net calories and gross calories are identical. You'd just be eating 1785-2040 calories (85% of 2100-2400) total.

Hmm yeah...I guess I've been trying to "net" above bmr (1550) everyday while also aiming to eat my TDEE-15% and getting confused. It is confusing on days where I aim to eat 1750-1800 but exercise off 400 at the gym and then feel like I should eat more to get my net up and it sounds like I've been eating too much, which sucks, cause I rather enjoy eating more.
    Thanks everyone :embarassed:

I took a look at your food diary (hope you don't mind). What I see is that you are still all over the place. Your goal is to eat a set amount every day. So pick a number I will use mine 1900 and try to eat that much every day (with in your macros of course). So when looking at your food diary there are always three numbers the first is what you have eaten, your goal food (which always changes if you add your exercise cals.) and what you have left to eat. Don't worry about any number but your first number. Does this make sense? Now the next question is what do you have your activity level set for with MFP?

I looked too, agree and also think you're not hitting your protein nearly enough.
    There's an awful lot of treats too.....just sayin.......
    Also, one day I saw a fried egg for breakfast and no listing for whatever you used to fry it with.......

No one is perfect (believe me, look at mine) but an 11 month plateau with all the effort your making is upsetting.

I hope you and all of us can figure out what's going on!!:wink:
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    OK, this thread is thoroughly confusing me, and making me question following EM2WL's philosophy. I've also been stalled at eating more for almost 8 WEEKS. No change in measurements, either.

Help me understand. If I figure out TDEE, based on moderate (I workout 3-5 days per week), and w/ a 15% cut, my daily goal is 1800 calories. What the OP is saying, is I should ALWAYS eat 1800, no matter what. So, if I burn 800 calories (I always record my exercising on MFP). MFP then says I'm only netting 1,000 calories. What the OP is saying, is I still only eat 1800 real-food calories for the day?

In my eye, that's only netting 1000 on days I exercise. Is that correct?

I'm I confusing myself even more.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yes, lifting and cardio. Taking measurements too! No movement in 11 weeks. In fact, I tracked my weight every single day for the month of April looking for trends using https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet and my weight trend is flat or gaining by the end of the month.

but something is not working. I think I might be eating too much by shooting to "NET" these values. Maybe I should just eat a flat 1800 every day or something, regardless of exercise.

I'm still not clear on whether you logged anything as exercise in your MFP diary. If you calculated your TDEE (including exercise) via another website and used it as your target, then you shouldn't be logging the exercise calories on MFP, or you're double counting them and eating too much.

If you don't log anything in the MFP exercise diary (in other words, if all your calories burned were accounted for in your original target), then your net calories and gross calories are identical. You'd just be eating 1785-2040 calories (85% of 2100-2400) total.

Hmm yeah...I guess I've been trying to "net" above bmr (1550) everyday while also aiming to eat my TDEE-15% and getting confused. It is confusing on days where I aim to eat 1750-1800 but exercise off 400 at the gym and then feel like I should eat more to get my net up and it sounds like I've been eating too much, which sucks, cause I rather enjoy eating more.

I took a look at your food diary (hope you don't mind). What I see is that you are still all over the place. Your goal is to eat a set amount every day. So pick a number I will use mine 1900 and try to eat that much every day (with in your macros of course). So when looking at your food diary there are always three numbers the first is what you have eaten, your goal food (which always changes if you add your exercise cals.) and what you have left to eat. Don't worry about any number but your first number. Does this make sense? Now the next question is what do you have your activity level set for with MFP?

I looked too, agree and also think you're not hitting your protein nearly enough.
    Also, one day I saw a fried egg for breakfast and no listing for whatever you used to fry it with.......

No one is perfect (believe me, look at mine) but an 11 month plateau with all the effort your making is upsetting.

No I definitely don't mind! I've been frustrated so I need all the help I can get. I do eat lots of treats, esp lately! (i got cookies in the mail from my mom).

Protein is a work in progress for me. I used to net 40 or less every day. I'm hitting 80-100 lately which is progress at least. I think my issue is that I've been "netting" my tdee. I don't know why I didn't get this point earlier. I have no "exercise" figured into mfp bc I've been setting my own goals and just adding exercise if/when I do it to my diary. Sounds like I should just stop all that and eat the same amount every day when possible.

re: fried egg...not sure what else to call it?? I guessed an entry for "fried egg" assumed it was already having oil added to it. I always just use a spray of Pam or the like.

gah.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    OK, this thread is thoroughly confusing me, and making me question following EM2WL's philosophy. I've also been stalled at eating more for almost 8 WEEKS. No change in measurements, either.

Help me understand. If I figure out TDEE, based on moderate (I workout 3-5 days per week), and w/ a 15% cut, my daily goal is 1800 calories. What the OP is saying, is I should ALWAYS eat 1800, no matter what. So, if I burn 800 calories (I always record my exercising on MFP). MFP then says I'm only netting 1,000 calories. What the OP is saying, is I still only eat 1800 real-food calories for the day?

First off if your TDEE-15% is set at 1800 calories and then you go burn 800 calories your TDEE is set using the wrong activity modifier. I have mine set for moderate and only burn 250-400 calories when I work out so that means my goal is 1900 calories and my BMR is 1390 there is no way ever that I will be under my BMR. Does this make sense? I believe everyone's confusion here is determining your activity level. This is just my opinion though. So even if you ignore MFP's NET calorie thing and do your own math. You are correct if you eat 1800 calories in a day and then go burn 800 you need to eat more calories (enough to reach or BMR).
  • Cclancaster
    Options

No I definitely don't mind! I've been frustrated so I need all the help I can get. I do eat lots of treats, esp lately! (i got cookies in the mail from my mom).

Protein is a work in progress for me. I used to net 40 or less every day. I'm hitting 80-100 lately which is progress at least. I think my issue is that I've been "netting" my tdee. I don't know why I didn't get this point earlier. I have no "exercise" figured into mfp bc I've been setting my own goals and just adding exercise if/when I do it to my diary. Sounds like I should just stop all that and eat the same amount every day when possible.

re: fried egg...not sure what else to call it?? I guessed an entry for "fried egg" assumed it was already having oil added to it. I always just use a spray of Pam or the like.

gah.

There is one in the database that says fried egg with pam. I believe it is only 70 calories for the whole egg because I use that one all the time. If it makes it easier for you Then don't log your exercise into MFP Just eat 1900 calories and as long as your burns aren't more than 350 calories then don't worry about it but if you do burn more than 350 just eat back your burn (?) - 350 = Does this make since. You shouldn't net your TDEE-15% you should just Net your BMR.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

That's not quite what I was saying, but it doesn't matter to how I answer your question. :smile:

When you figured out your TDEE (just over 2100, by the sound of it) and set your original 1800 calorie target, were you already taking that 800-calorie exercise into account? If so, then you shouldn't log those calories on MFP, because they're already included in your original TDEE estimate. By logging those calories on top of a target that already includes them, you'd be eating the calories from that workout twice, and probably not keeping much (or any) calorie deficit.
  • Cclancaster
    Options

That's not quite what I was saying, but it doesn't matter to how I answer your question. :smile:

When you figured out your TDEE (just over 2100, by the sound of it) and set your original 1800 calorie target, were you already taking that 800-calorie exercise into account? If so, then you shouldn't log those calories on MFP, because they're already included in your original TDEE estimate. By logging those calories on top of a target that already includes them, you'd be eating the calories from that workout twice, and probably not keeping much (or any) calorie deficit.

I believe this is where so many people go wrong when determining there original TDEE because if a person has a bmr of lets say 1390 (mine) and is consistently burning 800 calories a day just in exercise then there is no way their TDEE is 2100 it would have to be higher than that.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Recall, that he was talking about those that are using the #s that MFP has set up, and eating back cals. He was not talking about EM2WLs philosophies, but rather, those that only use "part" of the philosophy, for example: setting cals goal to TDEE -15%, PLUS eating back exercise cals. Thus mixing the MFP concept of "eating back" cals w/the EM2WL concept of using TDEE. The two don't mix, which is why we always clarify that TDEE *includes* exercise cals, so there's no need to eat them back, unless you are netting below your BMR, which means that TDEE was not figured w/correct activity level.

Don't over think it. Because then it does become confusing, which is why we've never explained it in this way......

~Kiki
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options

Isn't the whole TDEE point to figure in your activity (TDEE = BMR times your activity level, right)? Isn't that why it asks what level of activity you're at? I believe I said moderate level (working out 3-5 days). So, are you saying to just not record exercise at all on MFP? Would that make it easier? I just know if I eat 1700 or 1800 everyday, then fine. But say I run 10 miles, then that 1800 calories isn't gonna cut it for me.

So, say my activity level changes week to week. One week I work out 2 times, the next week I work out 5 times. Then I should change my cut value every week, or every day for that matter? Woooahhhh. My head keeps spinning.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

I believe this is where so many people go wrong when determining there original TDEE because if a person has a bmr of lets say 1390 (mine) and is consistently burning 800 calories a day just in exercise then there is no way their TDEE is 2100 it would have to be higher than that.

excellent way of putting it. :smile:
  • dlwyatt82
    Options

It seems confusing to me to deliberately pick a higher target which estimates your exercise calories, then log more exercise on heavy burn days. If it's done properly, though, you still arrive at the same TDEE estimate in the end.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

It seems confusing to me to deliberately pick a higher target which estimates your exercise calories, then log more exercise on heavy burn days. If it's done properly, though, you still arrive at the same TDEE estimate in the end.

So is that your point? That there is more than one way to figure out what calories to eat?
  • dlwyatt82
    Options

Isn't the whole TDEE point to figure in your activity (TDEE = BMR times your activity level, right)? Isn't that why it asks what level of activity you're at? I believe I said moderate level (working out 3-5 days). So, are you saying to just not record exercise at all on MFP? Would that make it easier? I just know if I eat 1700 or 1800 everyday, then fine. But say I run 10 miles, then that 1800 calories isn't gonna cut it for me.

So, say my activity level changes week to week. One week I work out 2 times, the next week I work out 5 times. Then I should change my cut value every week, or every day for that matter? Woooahhhh. My head keeps spinning.

TDEE is the total number of calories you burn in a day, including your BMR, all exercise, plus the calories needed for non-exercise activities (walking around, driving, carrying a baby, whatever. It all adds up).

Estimating your activity level can be tricky, but MFP adds some reasonable guidelines for that on the page where you select it. For me, I work at a desk job and don't do a whole lot of walking on a daily basis, so I pick Sedentary. I would then log any cardio exercise on MFP, and eat those calories back, because my choice of activity level was based on my average day before exercise.

Now, in this group, I believe they're recommending using a manual calorie target on MFP. They calculate an average estimated TDEE (including some amount of workout calories), and don't log the exercise on MFP unless the burn is higher than usual (and then, they only log the difference in calories, not the whole workout).

If done properly, your total calories burned for the day should still be about the same on MFP. Whether you start with a lower target and log a lot of exercise, or start with a higher target and log less, you should still reach the same total.

Which leads back to my original question: when you picked the Moderate activity level, was that because you work out 3-5 times per week? Would you have picked something lower if you didn't factor those workouts into the decision? If yes, then your original calorie target (what you're referring to as your TDEE in the above posts) already includes at least some of the 800 calories you logged, and you were probably eating too much compared to what you actually burned in total on that day.
  • dlwyatt82
    Options

So is that your point? That there is more than one way to figure out what calories to eat?

Nope. My point is pretty well spelled out in the original post, that Net Calories moves up and down based on how you log your exercise, even if your TDEE and calories consumed haven't changed. Therefore, comparing Net Calories to anything else is meaningless.

My last comment about it being confusing was just an observation.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Nope. My point is pretty well spelled out in the original post, that Net Calories moves up and down based on how you log your exercise, even if your TDEE and calories consumed haven't changed. Therefore, comparing Net Calories to anything else is meaningless.

My last comment about it being confusing was just an observation.

No- I mean what's your point in posting this in a group that doesn't recommend using MFP settings anyway? Why aren't you posting this on the main board where it can help more people?
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    Well, I think this has been helpful. I've been being too piggy. Time to cut back again. Damn! I was enjoying the chocolate additions to my diet. :blushing: (a little too much I guess).

I've never been good at moderation, as it were.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

TDEE is the total number of calories you burn in a day, including your BMR, all exercise, plus the calories needed for non-exercise activities (walking around, driving, carrying a baby, whatever. It all adds up).

Estimating your activity level can be tricky, but MFP adds some reasonable guidelines for that on the page where you select it. For me, I work at a desk job and don't do a whole lot of walking on a daily basis, so I pick Sedentary. I would then log any cardio exercise on MFP, and eat those calories back, because my choice of activity level was based on my average day before exercise.

Now, in this group, I believe they're recommending using a manual calorie target on MFP. They calculate an average estimated TDEE (including some amount of workout calories), and don't log the exercise on MFP unless the burn is higher than usual (and then, they only log the difference in calories, not the whole workout).

If done properly, your total calories burned for the day should still be about the same on MFP. Whether you start with a lower target and log a lot of exercise, or start with a higher target and log less, you should still reach the same total.

Which leads back to my original question: when you picked the Moderate activity level, was that because you work out 3-5 times per week? Would you have picked something lower if you didn't factor those workouts into the decision? If yes, then your original calorie target (what you're referring to as your TDEE in the above posts) already includes at least some of the 800 calories you logged, and you were probably eating too much compared to what you actually burned in total on that day.

I get what you are saying. The reason I chose the TDEE method vs MFP is that with this method my exercise calories are spread out over the week (because it is an average that TDEE uses). So, I get to enjoy a manageable amount of calories everyday, while only working out 3-5 days/week. This works better for my lifestyle. I don't have to starve on days I don't work out (i.e. 1200 calories/day) and I don't have to force feed myself on days I work out extra hard. I have a steady sorce of calories and at the end of the week...yes, it does work out about the same as if I just used MFP and ate back my exercise calories, but I am a happy camper, instead of a cranky pants :bigsmile:
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    I like your logic.

no more cranky pants
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    From the original TDEE & BMR sticky post:

*********A FINAL WORD ON EATING BACK TDEE CAL'S TO HOPEFULLY CLEAR UP CONFUSION********

If TDEE is figured out correctly, then exercise cals don't *have* to be eaten back because, technically, TDEE figures them in. The underlying factor here, is that most people underestimate their activity levels, (for fear of being told to eat "too much") and then proceed to under eat. If a person is burning 1000 cals/day in exercise, then that should be figured into their TDEE, meaning their TDEE should be AT LEAST 1000 cals more than their BMR. If this is not the case then they are undercutting themselves on the cals. So a person w/a BMR of 1300, that puts up 1000 cal burns should have come up w/a TDEE calculation of 2400 or more. So any situation where a person is not getting those calculations, they should be eating back some of those exercise cals.

So if you come up w/BMR=1300, TDEE=1800, you need to either A)eat back some cals, or B) recalculate your TDEE to include the *actual* burns that you're getting.

So to cut using *true* TDEE figures, you'd just eat a flat TDEE (-15%), as long as TDEE is correct. It should be fine. But if you are using MFP's calculations, or are not getting a TDEE that includes the amount you burn each day *plus* BMR, you need to eat back some exercise cals.

****************************************************************************************************************************************

Kiki
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    I've got some resetting to do. Dang. I think I've just plain read TOO MANY different explanations and gotten lost in the woods, when it doesn't have to be that hard at all.
    Thanks again, Kiki.

you must be a very patient person irl.
This discussion has been closed.