Question about activity level calcs

Options
fiveohmike
fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
Hey Guys,

So in another thread someone brought up a good point.

I do insanity 5-6 days a week, and also life some weight in there too. However the rest of my time I am generally sedentary (IT Desk Job).

I am only asking because on the TDEE calculator, the difference from Sedentary to Active is a 1400 calorie swing.

Anyways any advice on this one, on how you pick your activity level would be great.

Replies

• 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I use this calculator which assigns activity levels based on the total amount of time you workout per week.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

~Kiki
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    I use this calculator which assigns activity levels based on the total amount of time you workout per week.

~Kiki

That's a nifty calculator. I especially like how it helps you meet your macros, by telling you what you should aim for at each meal.

Thanks!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

~Kiki

You rock! When I hit my goal weight I am sending you present.

hahahha
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    That calculator is really great!

Bookmarking it. I'm going to use it every time I lose 5 lbs.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options

~Kiki

You rock! When I hit my goal weight I am sending you present.

hahahha

I'll be waiting :bigsmile:
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

~Kiki

awesome! It just verified EXACTLY what I have my settings at! :) perfect...I feel more confident now in my numbers. haha! I'll be bookmarking it so I can use it every 5lbs lost. :)
    thanks Kiki!
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Cool site! Thanks Kiki!!! :drinker:
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I used this and it conflicts with fat to fit`s numbers and my TDEE registering on my omron monitor. It says I usually burn about 3000 a day. The monitor only records ped steps so it`s numbers are actually 100 to 200 calories lower than truth.

If fat2fit says I should eat 2300
    this site says 1950

I have eaten 2300 for a week, gained .5 kg.
    for 2 weeks before that ate 2100, gained .5 kg.
    a week before that found eat more to weigh less and at 2000 for a week, gained .5 kg

Before that followed orignial MFP setting of 1800. gained .5 kg. every 2 weeks or so.

About 2 months before that desperately trying to keep my weight loss from a starvation diet 2 years ago. Eating as little as possible and gaining , you guessed it, about .5kg a week.

So I thought I would keep my settings at 2300 for a little longer, maybe I still wasn`t eating enough for my activity level.
    Besides my moderate exercise of 3 or 4 times a week, religiously!, I am very active.
    P.S. my moderate exercise is couch to 10k. Plus chasing kids and walking everywhere, I play Kinect and do your Shape toning, body weight and dumbell workouts once or twice a week and dance every chance I get.
    I`m 68.9 in. 5'8"
    Now 183 lb
    goal weight 160
    body fat 32%
    Still gaining, sigh, will I ever find the right amount for me? Less seemed to not be working and weirdly enough more seems to be keeping with the same trend. You would think I would gain more! That`s good but I really want to lose.
    Is my activity level right?
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    I used this and it conflicts with fat to fit`s numbers and my TDEE registering on my omron monitor. It says I usually burn about 3000 a day. The monitor only records ped steps so it`s numbers are actually 100 to 200 calories lower than truth.

If fat2fit says I should eat 2300
    this site says 1950

I have eaten 2300 for a week, gained .5 kg.
    for 2 weeks before that ate 2100, gained .5 kg.
    a week before that found eat more to weigh less and at 2000 for a week, gained .5 kg

Before that followed orignial MFP setting of 1800. gained .5 kg. every 2 weeks or so.

About 2 months before that desperately trying to keep my weight loss from a starvation diet 2 years ago. Eating as little as possible and gaining , you guessed it, about .5kg a week.

So I thought I would keep my settings at 2300 for a little longer, maybe I still wasn`t eating enough for my activity level.
    Besides my moderate exercise of 3 or 4 times a week, religiously!, I am very active.
    P.S. my moderate exercise is couch to 10k. Plus chasing kids and walking everywhere, I play Kinect and do your Shape toning, body weight and dumbell workouts once or twice a week and dance every chance I get.
    I`m 68.9 in. 5'8"
    Now 183 lb
    goal weight 160
    body fat 32%
    Still gaining, sigh, will I ever find the right amount for me? Less seemed to not be working and weirdly enough more seems to be keeping with the same trend. You would think I would gain more! That`s good but I really want to lose.
    Is my activity level right?

From what I am reading you haven't stuck with a calorie goal for more than 2 weeks if this is the case then you aren't giving it enough time it takes more like 6 weeks to starting determining if something is going to work. What is the longest you have committed to a calorie goal?
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    2 weeks at 2100.

Now starting my second week at 2300.

Thats the longest.

I just watched Kiki`s video on metabolism reset. I guess I am doing that right now. So you think 6 weeks should get me adjusted? I guess I should just throw out my scale during that time. All this consistent weight gain is really bumming me out.

I don`t wanna go on faith, I want to progress on knowledge. I can be more confident if I am. Maybe I won`t worry so much.

And 2300 is the reccommended level for where I want to be at 160.
    Maitenence for my size now at 182lbs is 2474.
    Not too much difference so I thought 2300 is fine.
    Will I keep gaining weight forever? Even though I am not eating over maintenence? 4 weeks, now 5 and still gaining. :sad:
  • Evelyn2050
    Evelyn2050 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bump to save link
  • sugarsquare
    sugarsquare Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow this link was awesome. I had been eating at 2100 last week based on another post, but I felt like this was just too high even though maintenance was 2224. I had done a 15% reduction on my own to 1950ish and that is what I had planned on eating until I lost 5 or so pounds and then I was going to re-evaluate. This is EXACTLY what this link said to do!
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    You all may also like this calculator: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

There is a pdf you can print so you can track a 24 hour period to see if you are tracking enough activity.