Struggling with keeping carbs low

Options
I keep hearing the lower the carbs the better like between 50-100 grams a day. I struggle with this. No matter how much I say I will do low carbs today I can never keep it low. Now I try to keep it healthy carbs like oatmeal, fruit and quinoa but it adds up quick. Today I ended with 160+ carbs and 180+ protein so about 37% carbs, 43% protein and rest fat.

My question is those who are losing on this higher calorie goal are you keeping carbs lower than 40%, more like 20/25%?

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. I am always over. I was at 197 today.
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Uh the day carbs go below 100 for me, will be the day I am 6 foot under.

I can't help but not eat carbs. I eat fruit, and other things that have carbs in them. I don't eat pasta and such anymore, but I drink the occasional soda also.

BTW my carbs are at 247 currently. I'm still in need of about 300 calories, so I'm sure I'll be close to 300 by the time I'm done tonight. AVG seems to be about 200ish though
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I eat 250-300 grams of carbs a day. I am slowly losing weight. I am not willing to drastically cut my beloved carbs. I would rather stay overweight.
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think most of us use the 40carb/30protein/30fat macro... which for me is 200-ish carbs, which I usually stay under in the process of hitting my protein goal.
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I use 40/30/30 and I find it difficult most of the time to stay under my carbs...I'm over 10-15 most of the times. I don't think it's that bad.

But since this is a new way for me to eat, I let myself some time to adjust and find what I like to eat, when, how much and all.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Former carb girl here ...reporting in. Would rather eat a loaf of bread than almost anything else. However, when I decided to get serious about changing my body ...had to evaluate what I was eating. Guess what? Was eating very little protein ....way too many carbs. Grain carbs. Slowly, I moved to change that. Steadfastly worked on upping protein and staying course with healthy fats. I'm a NUT for nut butters ..and nuts. Did lots of reading. I currently strive for balance of 30/35/35. I feel best at that ratio. And .....I don't crave grain carbs at all now. Took about a month- ish for that to happen. Believe me, if I can stop grain carb cravings and eating ...anybody can. Lol. I dont even keep bread in house now - dont want it. So .....
    In summary ...focus on scaling back grain carbs. Concentrated effort. Start eating more protein and healthy fats. Pretty soon, that crowds out the grain carbs. Ou don't miss them because you are full and satisfied ...and then ...eureka you stop craving them.

Good luck!!!!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    PLEASE DON'T LOWER YOUR CARBS!!!!!

It's just not necessary. Remember, don't do anything to lose the weight that you don't plan on doing for the rest of your life. ;)

We are not striving for more bondage/deprivation here. This is about kicking fad diets to the curb and living your life!

We are trying to break strongholds, here, not create them. Carbs are not the enemy, and we don't recommend omitting/severely restricting ANY food groups unless directed to buy your Dr. or nutrtionist, or for health reasons.

It's YOUR life...take it back from fad diets...

~Kiki
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    This is a great link to an interview Alan Aragon gave and he hits on several good points. Alan Aragon is one of the most respected folks working in fitness nutrition today.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2011/12/14/interviewed-by-wisconsins-polytechnic-university/

Even Lance Armstrong likes 'em
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/411629-how-carbohydrates-provide-fuel-aid-proper-organ-function-in-the-body/

Clinical Dietitians love 'em too!
    http://nutrition.mednet.ucla.edu/articles/Carbohydrates_are_Good_for_U.pdf
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Respectfully, some of us do very well without the grains and sugars that account for most carbs. My father is a type 2 diabetic, and has had a leg amputated, as well as half of the other foot, and he's in kidney failure hoping for a transplant. I was very obese, and a carb/sugar addict, and headed for the same fate as my father.

Almost a year ago I stopped eating all grains and sugars, and I only eat low glycemic-index fruits. I do eat carbs in the form of vegetables, and I often have a sweet potato after a hard workout. But I haven't had grains in almost a year, and I do plan to follow this for the rest of my life. It is not a "fad diet". It is a way of life. I eat incredibly clean, I get tons of protein, and I have more than enough energy for lots of exercise. I run, I do CrossFit, and I do Bikram yoga - I do all of these activities every week. I've lost almost 150 pounds, with about 15-20 more to go.

Please do not vilify or look down on or blindly criticize people who are choosing a healthy lifestyle that does not include grains and sugars. Would you say that vegetarians are following a "fad diet" because they have eliminated a food group?

Yes, I know that there are people who do low-carb in an unhealthy way. But please don't paint all of us with that same brush.

I can eat my TDEE cut without grains and sugars. I can lift heavy without grains and sugars. And most importantly, I can stay a healthy, non-diabetic person without them.

I see smart people on this forum, and this site, advocating that everyone needs to tweak things to find what works best for them. Please respect that for some of us, that means that we don't do 40/30/30 - just because many people say so.

Thank you,
    Amy
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Amy,

Hi there, I am in total agreement with what you said...our goal isn't to vilify anyone that make life choices, but, to make sure people understand that all things are ok in moderation, that you don't have to cut anything out of your diet because there is a "fad diet" out there saying you shouldn't eat fat, or no carbs, or eat all protein etc. When people are trying to lose weight they will try every and anything. So again, it is more about bringing balance to those that have opted to do "no carbs" or anything else, solely for the purpose of losing weight. Anything removed for the purpose solely of "dieting" is not sustainable because at some point you will indulge in that item again. So we suggest incorporating it all if dieting is the reason for removing anything from your foods list and provided a macros combination to help promote that balance.

Lucia
  • _Amy_Budd
    Options
    Thank you, Lucia. :)
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    Respectfully, some of us do very well without the grains and sugars that account for most carbs. My father is a type 2 diabetic, and has had a leg amputated, as well as half of the other foot, and he's in kidney failure hoping for a transplant. I was very obese, and a carb/sugar addict, and headed for the same fate as my father.

Almost a year ago I stopped eating all grains and sugars, and I only eat low glycemic-index fruits. I do eat carbs in the form of vegetables, and I often have a sweet potato after a hard workout. But I haven't had grains in almost a year, and I do plan to follow this for the rest of my life. It is not a "fad diet". It is a way of life. I eat incredibly clean, I get tons of protein, and I have more than enough energy for lots of exercise. I run, I do CrossFit, and I do Bikram yoga - I do all of these activities every week. I've lost almost 150 pounds, with about 15-20 more to go.

Please do not vilify or look down on or blindly criticize people who are choosing a healthy lifestyle that does not include grains and sugars. Would you say that vegetarians are following a "fad diet" because they have eliminated a food group?

Yes, I know that there are people who do low-carb in an unhealthy way. But please don't paint all of us with that same brush.

I can eat my TDEE cut without grains and sugars. I can lift heavy without grains and sugars. And most importantly, I can stay a healthy, non-diabetic person without them.

I see smart people on this forum, and this site, advocating that everyone needs to tweak things to find what works best for them. Please respect that for some of us, that means that we don't do 40/30/30 - just because many people say so.

Thank you,
    Amy

Please re-read and notice that I didnt lump people into one group. I said some people do it because a dr/nutrtionist said to, or for health reasons.

I was gluten free myself up until a few months ago. I have also eliminated almost every food group there is at some point due to extreme health issues that I suffer from. During each one of those eliminations I did all the research that I could get my hands on, was in every forum imaginable, and saw many people "subjecting" themselves to lifestyles that I was "prescribed" and they were miserable. They *were* using it as a fad diet, & most of them had no understanding as to why they were doing it other than "I've heard others say it was a good thing to do". Most of those people were here today, gone tomorrow, while the rest of us were in it for as long as necessary.

Because of the way that the question was stated, is what made me (perhaps wrongfully) assume that the OP was looking at in that way, which is why I addressed it that way. There was no conviction about her *wanting* or *choosing* this lifestyle. So I was letting her know that it is not necessary.

Anyone that knows me (or has taken a brief look through these threads) knows that I have never discriminated when a person says that eat a certain way, say vegetarian, yet want to adapt EM2WLs principles. Instead I give them thourough suggestions on how to make it work, based on my own meat free times. Same for anyone who is celiac or otherwise gluten intolerant.

But I could tell from her post that she was neither of those, as she's wondering if she needs to cut fruit & quinoa in order to "not go over in her *carbs*". Which leads me to believe that she's not doing it from a conviction of a certain "health" reason, but as a means to "lose weight." in which I stand firm in saying that if peer pressure is what's leading to it, & not personal health conviction or doctors orders, it is uneccesary, and a branch of fad dieting.

So I apologize if the comment offended you, but if you know that YOU aren't fad dieting, then the comment certainly wasn't directed toward you, personally. Maybe I should have stated "the *attitude* of fad dieting" is what we're trying to break free from. Does that make it more PC? :embarassed:

~Kiki
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Thankyou so much! I think some people are fine and do well without carbs and obviously some for health reasons. Mine is just to lose the last few stubborn fat lbs. I have tried for months to cut back...and I have to the 30-40% carbs but i just cant get through my day with it under 100g a day. it has the opposite effect on me and I WILL binge at the end of the day. Now I used to only eat maybe 30 g of protein a day and yesterday i ended my day with 180+ so i was thrilled but my carbs were 160+. So thankyou so much for this group!!! I certainly didnt want to start anythign either. I just keep hearing how so many limit carbs and wanted to know if this group does that, I wasnt sure.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    PLEASE DON'T LOWER YOUR CARBS!!!!!

It's just not necessary. Remember, don't do anything to lose the weight that you don't plan on doing for the rest of your life. ;)

We are not striving for more bondage/deprivation here. This is about kicking fad diets to the curb and living your life!

We are trying to break strongholds, here, not create them. Carbs are not the enemy, and we don't recommend omitting/severely restricting ANY food groups unless directed to buy your Dr. or nutrtionist, or for health reasons.

It's YOUR life...take it back from fad diets...

~Kiki

O my gosh thankyou so much for posting that reply !!! I was soooo hoping that your answer was going to be the answer I got in this group. I'm already at 98g carbs today. I eat primarily healthy carbs anyway but sometimes need the tortilla chip to satisfy a craving. If I dont then i think about it all day and it turns into a binge. I tried so hard today but have been so hungry...think TOM is coming. And I just knew I wouldnt be able to stay at 100 g a day. Your reply was a God send.
  • _Amy_Budd
    Options
    So I apologize if the comment offended you, but if you know that YOU aren't fad dieting, then the comment certainly wasn't directed toward you, personally. Maybe I should have stated "the *attitude* of fad dieting" is what we're trying to break free from. Does that make it more PC? :embarassed:

~Kiki

No apologies necessary, Kiki - I tried to write my post in a non-aggressive and respectful voice, but I guess sometimes that gets lost in the written word.

I understand exactly what you're saying - and I do know that there are people who treat low-carb as a fad, or do it in an unhealthy manner.

I think we're on the same page. I'm so, so sorry that I made you feel embarrassed - that was never my intent.

Friends? (((hug)))

:)
    Amy
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    Yes, Amy. Let's be friends ((hugs)) :flowerforyou:

Ps....for what it's worth, I don't eat 40/30/30 either, lol...I eat 35/35/30 :tongue:

Kiki
  • _Amy_Budd
    Options
    Yay! Love for everyone!

Truthfully, it is a sensitive subject - for everyone, I think. We are working on a way of life here, and unlearning bad habits that were long held. As long as we keep the debate respectful, I think it's a valuable chance to learn and see things from different perspectives. Kiki, you and Lucia are so knowledgeable here, and I am grateful to have access to your thoughts and experiences. So thank you.

:)
    Amy
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Yes, Amy. Let's be friends ((hugs)) :flowerforyou:

Ps....for what it's worth, I don't eat 40/30/30 either, lol...I eat 35/35/30 :tongue:

Kiki

This is about what i do too in the end of the day. My fitbit shows the %'s of what I've had all day so then I can adjust. just really relieved at the moment thankyou so much!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Former carb girl here ...reporting in. Would rather eat a loaf of bread than almost anything else. However, when I decided to get serious about changing my body ...had to evaluate what I was eating. Guess what? Was eating very little protein ....way too many carbs. Grain carbs. Slowly, I moved to change that. Steadfastly worked on upping protein and staying course with healthy fats. I'm a NUT for nut butters ..and nuts. Did lots of reading. I currently strive for balance of 30/35/35. I feel best at that ratio. And .....I don't crave grain carbs at all now. Took about a month- ish for that to happen. Believe me, if I can stop grain carb cravings and eating ...anybody can. Lol. I dont even keep bread in house now - dont want it. So .....
    In summary ...focus on scaling back grain carbs. Concentrated effort. Start eating more protein and healthy fats. Pretty soon, that crowds out the grain carbs. Ou don't miss them because you are full and satisfied ...and then ...eureka you stop craving them.

Good luck!!!!

Just wanted to pop back in to say .... I don't advocate eliminating carbs. I eat them ! For ME - grain carbs are trigger foods - they tend to push out other foods. So, for me, I limit them. I eat Carbs - I watch out for the grain carbs and thankfully have stopped craving them. Works best for me.