Circuit Training - how long between laps.

Options
JonesJennings
JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
Hi all. I'm doing a lot of circuits at the minute. Typically 3x15 of 7 seven different excercise.

How long is a sensible break between laps of the circuit? I've heard that there are risks in resting for too long, and letting the muscles cool down, yet if I try to get straight into the next circuit, I can never get the desired number of reps. What duration of break between laps is recomended?

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    What are your goals??
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    If you goal is still to put on 15% of your body weight, according to your profile, I would look into Stronglifts 5x5 for your primary muscle building regimen. You can continue your circuit training to improve your cardiovascular system but keep it to 2-3 times a week, and perform your 5x5 routine 4-5 days per week. Consume at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, consume a surplus of calories, get adequate sleep, and take a good multi vitamin and fish oil if your diet is inadequate.
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Main goal at the minute is to improve general fitness. I'm measuring that in terms of 1.5 mile run time and max pressups / situps / chin ups in a single set, and also in terms of weight gain (aiming for 15% increase) At the minute, I'm using a military fitness programme that's rather generic. I'm not sure why circuits are on there, but rather I'm looking at it in a monkey-see-monkey-do way.

I'll defo have a look into this 5x5 system. Looks like I'd have to join a gym though. At the minute, one of my limitations is I don't have any gear apart from a door frame chin up bar.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Main goal at the minute is to improve general fitness. I'm measuring that in terms of 1.5 mile run time and max pressups / situps / chin ups in a single set, and also in terms of weight gain (aiming for 15% increase) At the minute, I'm using a military fitness programme that's rather generic. I'm not sure why circuits are on there, but rather I'm looking at it in a monkey-see-monkey-do way.

I'll defo have a look into this 5x5 system. Looks like I'd have to join a gym though. At the minute, one of my limitations is I don't have any gear apart from a door frame chin up bar.

Hmm...well, your main goal appears to be cardiovascular fitness/speed gains and increasing the reps for those strength moves while also gaining weight. So the best thing to do is to leave as little rest as possible between sets. Possibly a 1:1 ratio of work time and rest time so that the lactic acid can dissipate and you can complete all of the reps. However, too much rest is not ideal since you are wanting to increase your endurance.

I'd say start with a 30 second recovery period and see how that suits you. In order to gain weight you'll have to be eating a calorie surplus but you didn't supply your stats. I assume that you're a man and that you should be taking in well over 3000 calories a day to reach your goal (this is an assumption and can be fine tuned with more information about your height/weight/age/bf%).