How long until you noticed consistent weight loss?

Options
macnurseapril
macnurseapril Posts: 53 Member
Hi Folks,

I'm been EMTWL for 3 and a half weeks (2200-2800) My 20% cut is 2800 cals (5'10, 268 lbs moderately active exercise 5-6/7 days a week) I have started NROL4W and my clothes are definately fitting better, but no change in inches or weight. I've been playing with the same 3-5 lbs for more than a month.

Do I just need to be more patient for fat loss?

Is there anyone here that has lost a significant amount of weight on this plan? My GW is 175, my SW was 294.

Thanks for your help!
April

Replies

• Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Are you sure you haven't lost inches? If your clothes are fitting better then that usually means inch loss.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    April, Im beginning to think we are the same person:)
    Ive been eating more for 8 weeks now and I have had one signifigant drop on the scale and since then the scale has gone back up to pretty much where I was. So nothing weight wise wants to change and my inches arent budging either.. I have been trending my weight daily so I have seen how sodium and travel have affected me, but still, You would think over time than Id still be losing weight even with the bloat happening on occasion..

I feel like Im never going to start seeing the scale drop and finally be rewarded for putting in all this hard work. Im tired of carrying 70 extra pounds on me!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Ummm....never, lol :noway:

Seriously. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm really only a few lbs away from my high point when I upped my cals. All along the way, the scale has just said whatever it wanted: up some days, down others, but the clothes kept getting looser.

At my highest size, I wore 8-10 (idk which because I just started wearing elastic stuff after a certain point, so it could've been 10-12?). I now wear a 2. I don't think I've lost more than 5 lbs during the whole shebang... And that still depends on what conditions I'm weighing in under.

That's why consistency is so important, because progress is sneaky. One day you finally accept that you need smaller clothes, and when you go to try stuff on in the store, you find that you've surpassed MULTIPLE sizes. I seriously never even purchased the in-between sizes. I went to the store w/baggy 8s assuming I needed 6s. Walked out with 2s :tongue:

To this day, the scale remains a liar, in my book...

~Kiki
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Seriously. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm really only a few lbs away from my high point when I upped my cals. All along the way, the scale has just said whatever it wanted: up some days, down others, but the clothes kept getting looser.

At my highest size, I wore 8-10 (idk which because I just started wearing elastic stuff after a certain point, so it could've been 10-12?). I now wear a 2. I don't think I've lost more than 5 lbs during the whole shebang... And that still depends on what conditions I'm weighing in under.

That's why consistency is so important, because progress is sneaky. One day you finally accept that you need smaller clothes, and when you go to try stuff on in the store, you find that you've surpassed MULTIPLE sizes. I seriously never even purchased the in-between sizes. I went to the store w/baggy 8s assuming I needed 6s. Walked out with 2s :tongue:

~Kiki

I have the exact same experience.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ive been eating more for 8 weeks now and I have had one signifigant drop on the scale and since then the scale has gone back up to pretty much where I was. So nothing weight wise wants to change and my inches arent budging either.. I have been trending my weight daily so I have seen how sodium and travel have affected me, but still, You would think over time than Id still be losing weight even with the bloat happening on occasion..

I feel like Im never going to start seeing the scale drop and finally be rewarded for putting in all this hard work. Im tired of carrying 70 extra pounds on me!

Hey Rayann1,
    I remember your drop, but didn't know you were back to where you were. Your body hasn't gone up in weight so it is utilizing the fuel, which is a good thing. Do you have an opportunity to take your weight when you have had no sodium highs, lifts, or high cardio burns, or Tom within a few days?
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    In response to the first question, because I have changed so many things especially kicking up the lifting into full gear, I have to say that I have had a lot of fat loss and some movement on the scale, BUT I have gained some lean muscle mass too. So, my weight is trending down slowly BUT I don't even think about that anymore because my clothes sizes are going down. To me that is so much more important. I now wear a size that I couldn't fit unless I were pounds lighter. If my muscle mass goes up and my fat goes down, then I won't get any lighter, but who cares? I am wearing a lose 6 and snug 4 right now and at my current "weight", before, I could wear no less than a good snug 8.
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    In response to the first question, because I have changed so many things especially kicking up the lifting into full gear, I have to say that I have had a lot of fat loss and some movement on the scale, BUT I have gained some lean muscle mass too. So, my weight is trending down slowly BUT I don't even think about that anymore because my clothes sizes are going down. To me that is so much more important. I now wear a size that I couldn't fit unless I were pounds lighter. If my muscle mass goes up and my fat goes down, then I won't get any lighter, but who cares? I am wearing a lose 6 and snug 4 right now and at my current "weight", before, I could wear no less than a good snug 8.

Lucia,

I think, if I recall correctly, that we are the about the same height/age range. I'm 5'7" and 43yo. Your stats encourage me tremendously since my fav jeans that I am hoping to get back into are a 6. I am a snug 8 right now and weigh 150#. Thank you so much for your efforts in this forum.
  • macnurseapril
    Options
    I measure bust, waist and hips and ther has been no change since I hit this weight. My clothes do feel looser in the arms and the calves, so it may be that I have lost some there, but no place really "empowering".

Raynn, I hear you. I don't know if it's because I have spent so many years getting myself to this place and my body needs to learn that I will feed it, or if I work out too much, or what. I am totally in to giving it more time, but man would I love to see some progress.
  • macnurseapril
    Options
    Thanks Lucia :) If I was an 8 I'd be thrilled, but I am still a solid 20. I know it took years to get here, and it may take years to get where I can be. I'm just frustrated that I am working so hard and I'm not seeing an results yet.
  • JoyWoodruff
    JoyWoodruff Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 18 to a 16 and now a 14 and the scale is barely moving. It goes up 4lbs down 6lbs up 2lbs down 3lbs. I hate the damn scale !!! Im going with how I feel in my clothes.. and btw my arms and legs went before anything in my waist :( Not quick enough but hey, I didn't get big over night either >.<
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Lucia,

I think, if I recall correctly, that we are the about the same height/age range. I'm 5'7" and 43yo. Your stats encourage me tremendously since my fav jeans that I am hoping to get back into are a 6. I am a snug 8 right now and weigh 150#. Thank you so much for your efforts in this forum.

Yes, I think so....my last "low trending" weight was 154.6lbs I believe (up 5lbs now w/ water weight, but no different in my clothes at all). I am wearing a lose 6 slacks, and can fit some of my 4, 6, 8 jeans great...(jeans run so different, not consistent like slacks), but I have this one pair of size 8 jeans that I want to get into...but again, weird there are some small 4 and 6 jeans that I have that fit good...so..who knows. I can fit some of my 4 slacks, but they are still snug...so getting there.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I measure bust, waist and hips and ther has been no change since I hit this weight. My clothes do feel looser in the arms and the calves, so it may be that I have lost some there, but no place really "empowering".

Raynn, I hear you. I don't know if it's because I have spent so many years getting myself to this place and my body needs to learn that I will feed it, or if I work out too much, or what. I am totally in to giving it more time, but man would I love to see some progress.

Sometimes too much cardio works against you. Kiki did a video on that one.

Ok, if I were in your shoes...and everything I offer or mention is from the perspective of what would I do if it were me knowing what I now know...Ok, honestly, if I were not losing at the higher calories and not gaining either...I would take off 8 wks and do a metabolic reset. I would eat my maintenance calories for the 8 wks, do cardio 2 times a week for 30 min (HIIT session) and lift some serious iron....so far those that have done it may bounce a bit but stabilize not really gaining much of any weight....THEN, I would do a 10% cut to get weight coming off again and then maybe go down another 5%...but for me no less I like to eat too much. I rather bounce up and then back down if needed.

See the thing is...we all did the low cal thing...it doesn't work...the body needs what it needs and stops the loss when you restrict it too much...so we know going down to the low numbers is not the key to any equation. So, when you reset your metabolism to a higher number, then you can do a smaller cut to get the weight moving again. There is a great article that was posted on the main page about metabolic reset.

I know we all want the hurry up and drop it quick, but you can't make your body do a thing if you are not doing what it needs you to do...
  • Raynn1
    Options

Hey Rayann1,
    I remember your drop, but didn't know you were back to where you were. Your body hasn't gone up in weight so it is utilizing the fuel, which is a good thing. Do you have an opportunity to take your weight when you have had no sodium highs, lifts, or high cardio burns, or Tom within a few days?

I had a great loss two weeks back, finally started dropping the weight after 6 weeks of gains and nothing else.. then last week TOM hit the night before.. had a 1 pound gain on my official weigh in day... but climbed up about 3 more..then finally by Sunday of this week the scale was showing what it was on Wed, and I was so hopeful to finally get the bloat off... Then we were travelling all day Sunday and Monday showed a 4 pound gain... So now Im apparently trying to get rid of bloat once again.. Today is a rest day, and ive been chugging the water constantly and watching my sodium the last 72 hours, so I can only hope for another drop tomorrow, but I doubt it will take me to where I was hoping to be.. So lets hope this next week can finally start attacking the real fat again and the scale would start to cooperate..

On another note, Its harder for us "larger" gals to hear others say you've not seen the scale go down, only up. Its one thing when you are within maybe a 10 pound range and lifting tons and building muscle to be "ok" with the scale not moving.. but its another when you are considered obese, and everyone is breathing down your neck telling you to get the weight off. And then when you do what you think is the right thing, its still not reflecting what we think it should. Sure, I would be thrilled with gaining more muscle mass when I am closer to goal and see the scale go up and down... but at 235 pounds... I want to see that number go down, Period... KWIM? I know I am in this for the long haul, and I certainly didnt gain everything overnight... but its beyond frustrating to still do things right and not see any changes..
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Hey Rayann1,

I had a great loss two weeks back, finally started dropping the weight after 6 weeks of gains and nothing else.. then last week TOM hit the night before.. had a 1 pound gain on my official weigh in day... but climbed up about 3 more..then finally by Sunday of this week the scale was showing what it was on Wed, and I was so hopeful to finally get the bloat off... Then we were travelling all day Sunday and Monday showed a 4 pound gain... So now Im apparently trying to get rid of bloat once again.. Today is a rest day, and ive been chugging the water constantly and watching my sodium the last 72 hours, so I can only hope for another drop tomorrow, but I doubt it will take me to where I was hoping to be.. So lets hope this next week can finally start attacking the real fat again and the scale would start to cooperate..

On another note, Its harder for us "larger" gals to hear others say you've not seen the scale go down, only up. Its one thing when you are within maybe a 10 pound range and lifting tons and building muscle to be "ok" with the scale not moving.. but its another when you are considered obese, and everyone is breathing down your neck telling you to get the weight off. And then when you do what you think is the right thing, its still not reflecting what we think it should. Sure, I would be thrilled with gaining more muscle mass when I am closer to goal and see the scale go up and down... but at 235 pounds... I want to see that number go down, Period... KWIM? I know I am in this for the long haul, and I certainly didnt gain everything overnight... but its beyond frustrating to still do things right and not see any changes..

Rayann1, the thing is, there are changes going on, you just can't see it yet. The water part, you just can't control, we are just way more cognizant of it because we are watching the scale. I am going to go look for a post that just blew me away...it is not all about the scale it is the transformation...not saying you will not lose weight, but I think this will just help put things in perspective...brb.

Ok, check this out...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof

I was absolutely floored!
  • Raynn1
    Options

Hey Rayann1,

Rayann1, the thing is, there are changes going on, you just can't see it yet. The water part, you just can't control, we are just way more cognizant of it because we are watching the scale. I am going to go look for a post that just blew me away...it is not all about the scale it is the transformation...not saying you will not lose weight, but I think this will just help put things in perspective...brb.

Ok, check this out...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof

I was absolutely floored!

Thanks. I had seen that post before. Beautiful results to show the scale sucks:)..
    Its hard... the impatient part rises... we are used to seeing more quicker results.. and while I understand that doing it this way wont make the weight drop off any faster... I certainly was expecting at least something to start coming off 8 weeks in. I know water gains I cant control. especially this last one of travelling. Thank god I had been trending because I think I would have thrown in the towel yesterday morning if I saw a 4 pound gain and not know why...
    BY now, most people who have increased their cals, got in more protein, watched everything, started to see the scale move again.. Mine has not.. So the childish, whiny me is screaming at the top of her lungs.. ENOUGH ALREADY!! When is it my turn??? You know?:)

I wouldnt care if I dropped like .2 pounds a week, as long as things were finally starting to go down.. If something was finally showing that doing all of this hard work was starting to pay off..
    For me, it looks like I have to wait another few days to see if the scale plays nicer when the bloat is hopefully gone..
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Keep the faith Rayann. You will see progress. Also, don't stress... cortisol is the enemy to weight loss as well. Stay consistent in what you're doing so that you know what works and doesn't work.
  • macnurseapril
    Options
    I'm up for adding more calories (maybe, I am still struggling to get to 2800 most days, but manage 2400 ok). I'm adding weights to tomorrows work out (I used body weight as resistance last week).

I need the cardio though. I have a pretty high stress job-charge nurse on a busy Birth Unit-so I use the cardio as my stress relief. It keeps me from engaging in other less positive activities.

Metabolism reset-that's where I eat my total TDEE correct? So for me close to 3400 calories.

I really appreciate everyone's support. I know this can work for me, because the energy is awesome, but I need to not be 268 lbs any more.
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Gah! I could write this exact thing! Still chugging along here, noticeable changes in clothes fitting, but the "pounds" lost really gets me. It's so hard to face :(
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

~Kiki

YES. Me too. Same type of experience. Not a lot of pounds .. but clothes falling off ... buying smaller clothes, yet the scale is flashing me the same #. Course, I'd love for it to flash me a LOWER #, but heck, will take the smaller size body any day !
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

Gah! I could write this exact thing! Still chugging along here, noticeable changes in clothes fitting, but the "pounds" lost really gets me. It's so hard to face :(

OK. I soooo GET THIS. I do. PLEASE go read my blog . I can very much relate that I want that scale to go down - I WANT WANT WANT a lower #. But ..... there are other realities.

AND ... Kiki (31Prvbs) has been such an awesome source of information and support and encouragement for me. She Rocks ! and .. I"m TRYING my darndest to spread the word ....

Please .. go read.

Jen

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/harlanJEN