Asylums

Options
the_journeyman
the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
Any good movies that are asylum related? Filmed in one, about someone in and out of one, thrillers related to asylums etc. I've seen Shutter Island and Session 9, but I know there has to be others.

Thanks!
JM

Replies

• BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    ugh, the only other one I know of (other than Session 9) is the Brood - there's got to be others - Hellraiser has scene's in an asylum - but I'm guessing you've already seen that.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    House On Haunted Hill (i like both the old and new one personally), Wrong Turn 4 is alright, tho cause it's a prequel it's pretty predicatble, Gothika is ok, Visiting Hours, Silence Of The Lambs has some parts, Dont Look In The Basement, The Ugly, Don't Say A Word (love this movie, very underrated though id lean more towards suspense than horror), Asylum, Vanishing on 7th Street, Autopsy, Death Tunnel, Fragile, Boogeyman 2, there are somemore im thinkin of but cant remember the names but ya im surprised theres not mroe than they are, if you've never been through one you should visit one time they can be scary as hell.
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I follow a Urban Exploration website that specializes in asylums. They're awesome. My dream is to explore an abandoned one someday!

JM
  • BrendarB
    Options
    I believe they have a place in Kentucky where you can pay to spend the night in one. - it's been a while - will have to look it up again
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    You could also look up a few episodes of "Ghost Adventures" that take place in an asylum. The Asylum they go to in _________________ (Will insert state when I get home. I have it bookmarked on my own computer. But its a red brick asylum they go to on Halloween after finding lots of paranormal activity) is a great episode. They find lots and lots of spooky things.
  • BrendarB
    Options
    here's the Kentucky one
    http://www.therealwaverlyhills.com/Tours/waverlyguide.shtml
    they also have places in New York and I think Indiana
  • TakeMyWifePlease
    Options
    There's a documentary called "Cropsey" that is about the facts and urban legends surrounding a series of child disappearances near Staten Island. It has some disturbing footage from an old sensationalized Geraldo Rivera expose on the asylum/mental hospital that the suspected killer worked at. The hospital grounds have subterranean tunnels that are now populated by homeless people many of whom were old patients with nowhere else to go. The filmmakers also go into the abandoned hospital in the middle of the night to add some creepy atmosphere to their movie.

The documentary itself was pretty good but that old footage of the patients living in utter squalor really stuck with me for awhile after seeing it. Heavy stuff, but worth checking out.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    There's a documentary called "Cropsey" that is about the facts and urban legends surrounding a series of child disappearances near Staten Island. It has some disturbing footage from an old sensationalized Geraldo Rivera expose on the asylum/mental hospital that the suspected killer worked at. The hospital grounds have subterranean tunnels that are now populated by homeless people many of whom were old patients with nowhere else to go. The filmmakers also go into the abandoned hospital in the middle of the night to add some creepy atmosphere to their movie.

The documentary itself was pretty good but that old footage of the patients living in utter squalor really stuck with me for awhile after seeing it. Heavy stuff, but worth checking out.

This sounds awesome, ill have to check it out for sure
  • BrendarB
    Options

It's a great docu - I agree, it's worth checking out
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    Sounds great TMWP!!!

JM