changing reps/sets

Options
Polly758
Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
Working my way through Stage 1, and I am considering ignoring the changes to reps and sets-- the reps are supposed to decrease every 2 weeks and then the sets increase from 2 to 3. Thing is, it's hard enough to judge when I'm ready to increase resistance, and then I've got to factor in fewer reps, so maybe I can add a bit more weight, oh, but I have to do another set, maybe I should keep the resistance the same...

Know what I mean? I'm thinking I could just keep it at 2 sets, 12 reps, maybe just stretch the stages out longer. Thoughts?

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    You're an adult, you can do anything you want. If you choose not to follow the book your results will be different. The authors are experts and there's reason behind the program. Basic lifting methodolgy is to increase the weight when the reps are fewer, regardless of the increase in sets. If you can't complete all the reps with good form, do as many reps as you can and decrease the weight during your next lifting session.
  • Polly758
    Options
    I am aware of my status as an adult...
    Basic lifting methodolgy is to increase the weight when the reps are fewer, regardless of the increase in sets.

Good to know. I've always had sets of 3 when I'm lifting, so I'll be glad to get there and stay there.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    The purpose of lowering the reps is that you can increase the weight and at the same time you up the sets so you get about the same amount of reps with the heavier weights and that is when your muscles grow and also your strength. If you keep at 12 reps. you can't increase the weight much. Stick with the program! Just my 2 cents!
  • Polly758
    Options
    Okay I think I get it... the end goal is lower reps higher weight. When I think about it that way it makes better sense. Thanks for the input.

Although i think I would have rather just started it at lower reps higher weight :)