New here, and happy I found this group!

Hi all, I am a 33 yr old mother to 6 rambunctious children. I just had Gastric Bypass on March 14th and am feeling great! With only 6 weeks out I have lost 48lbs!!! My decision for this was my doctor giving me 2 yrs to live because of my heart. I have always been overweight and it never slowed me down. I could do things that my skinny friends could do until my heart attacks. I never gave a thought about my weight until the cardiologist told me that my heart is that of an 80 yr old and about how my weight was really making my heart worse. When they told me without a drastic amount of weight loss fast I would most likely not make it till my sons high school graduation and reality I would be lucky to make it 2 yrs. With having 6 children and thinking of how much I would miss, I mean my younger ones are only 2 and 3 and hoping they would even remember me, I decided to get gastric bypass in hopes it would help save my life. So I did it and now im here! What kinds of exercising is everyone doing (or did) at 6 weeks out? I am walking and have currently just added water aerobics.

Replies

• tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Congratulations on your surgery! I had mine on March 13, 2012. I had an open R-N-Y. It's hard to believe that six weeks have gone by so fast. Life is so much better since surgery, I have lost almost 30 lbs since surgery and another 30 lbs before surgery.
    I know that it has helped with my lower back problems. I have been sidelined with a bad cold, but I am trying to get back into walking and eventually maybe some water aerobics. My goal is to eventually walk a 5 K.
    Welcome to the group there are many good people here who can give you all kinds of pointers.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    welcome. I'm having the RNY in roughly two weeks. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope my surgery results are as great as yours and tessanne's
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    I had my gastric bypass 3.75 years ago. Honestly, I did not do any sort of exercise until I was 7 months out. I'll admit I was a couch potato and it hurt to exercise when I was so obese. By the six month mark I had lost 100 pounds and was feeling a lot better. My surgeon tells us you can lose without exercising, but to keep it off you must exercise. For most of us that is definitely true.

I've gone from 340 to 135.