Happy with my current weight.

Options
AmyM713
AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
Do I need to change anything when I've decided I'm happy with my weight and just want to start building muscle?

Should I still be focusing on losing weight? I'm 5'1" 118lbs currently and 26 yrs old.

Replies

• Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on what your goals are. If you're wanting ripped abs, you're going to have to eat clean and remove some body fat from the ab region. As they say, abs are made in the kitchen! However, if you just want to build some muscle and don't really care to get "cut" then I'd concentrate on getting enough protein to help with the muscle building. If you're happy with how you look now, then I wouldn't worry about trying to lose weight. If it happens, it happens.
  • AmyM713
    Options
    Well I think I fail at "making abs in the kitchen 101". That is what I want but not sure I can focus on eating clean enough, I try really hard but set myself up for failure quite often with buying junk :embarassed:
  • kd80538
    kd80538 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think you would change your settings for maintenance, but otherwise, it's all about the workouts and the fuel for the workouts :)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oh Kiki can expound on this one...my mind hasn't wrapped totally around the bulking phase...but I am getting there because I want to build more muscle mass.

To do so I believe you need to eat at15% over TDEE to gain muscle mass. Of course some fat comes along with that, but you lift HEAVY and don't do cardio, so that you add lean muscle tissue, then after 12wks you go back into your cut phase cutting 10% to lose weight SLOWLY so you don't lose the muscle gained, but the fat layer sitting on top of it. You still lift and add cardio 2'xs a week.

If you want to stay in maintenance mode, then lift heavy for the toning and do cardio twice a week, the fat will burn off while you reshape the muscles. Either way keep your protein about a gr per pound of weight while lifting.
  • AmyM713
    Options
    Thank you your answer is very helpful, the thought of gaining fat makes me nervous but what you say makes sense, I guess I just need to sit back and figure out what I want to do.