Anybody have a bodymedia fit? I need help please...

Options
roro73
roro73 Posts: 153 Member
Hi there, I’m new to the group but I’ve been lurking for a while ;) I’ve seen many of your posts and after trying the low carb deal again for a week and feeling like crap & just wanting to sleep all the time I’ve decided to take the approach that I know I can live with forever…I LOVE FOOD!

I’ve read through the topics here and it looks like many of you were on really low cal diets before. I have never had the will power to stay low cal for very long at all. I have usually eaten anywhere from 1500-2500 calories a day and always thought that’s why I wasn’t losing any weight. I figured if I couldn’t be strict with myself and get down to 1200, or the lowest points on weight watchers or the lowest carb allowance, I was just destined to be a big girl. I’m 5’3” and 172 at the moment with a goal weight of 130 or size 4-6 (whichever comes first). Over the last few years I’ve lost & gained the same 5-10 pounds over & over. I'm thinking now that it's a really fine line for me to get my intake vs. my burn correct.

I bought a bodymedia fit armband which gives me pretty accurate numbers as far as my burn rate goes and figured if I burn 2600 a day and eat 1600 a day I should be good to go with 2lbs a week right? Not so much. I know there’s a formula for TDEE but my question is, since I know my normal average burn rate without exercise is 2033, do I use that as my TDEE and then add in exercise calories? The way I have MFP set up right now is a food goal of 1600 then I workout to try to get my burn rate on bodymedia to 2600 (some days I do, some days I don’t) then I add my bodymedia adjustment on mfp to see the “actual” defecit (my exercise is included in my bodymedia adjustment). Problem is there are a lot of days I don’t net my BMR when I do this but that’s because the bodymedia adjustment includes my TDEE AND exercise I think. Should I change my food goal to 1728 (2033-15%) and manually enter my exercise calories in? If that’s the case I guess I can sell this armband because it’s served it’s purpose…lol. Or is it better to keep it and get an "actual" number everyday?

I would appreciate any thoughts & advice any of you care to offer.

Thank you!
Stacy

Replies

• roro73
    Options
    Anybody?
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I just got a BodyMedia Fit too. I have no clue how to answer your question as I'm still trying to figure out how it works! But hopefully someone else will know!!
  • roro73
    Options
    Awesome! Thnks for replying :) I was feeling a little lonely...lol. Maybe I just need to give the Bodymedia a bit more time. I've been using it for about a month now off and on but not as consistent as I should be.
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Options
    I know there’s a formula for TDEE but my question is, since I know my normal average burn rate without exercise is 2033, do I use that as my TDEE and then add in exercise calories?

Thank you!
    Stacy

When TDEE is referred to in this group, it includes your exercise cals. So, since you already know what you burn daily without exercise, that's great! Now just figure out your daily exercise based on a week's worth of workouts - divide that number by 7 and add to your 2033. That's your TDEE. Then subtract 15% or 20% from that total and that is your target cals to eat.

I think the consensus here is to eat the same number everyday rather than change your number daily based on activity.

Does that help?
  • gypsybug
    gypsybug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well I guess as you said in my thread you get it now but I thought I'd put this out there....

Your total burned for the day, the first number on the BM screen (24 hours) IS your TDEE because it includes your exercise, your everyday activity and your BMR. Having a BM is great because you don't have to calculate it. Just run a 28 day report and use the average Burn as your TDEE. No more....no less. No adjustments.

Rerun it periodically to see if you are changing in your averages.
  • alesnie
    alesnie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE an answer to this! My assumption is yes, however I tried this (only for a week or so) and did not see the results that I had calculated I would get. This could have been a result of improperly counting calories?

However, this way should work. Let us know!
  • gypsybug
    Options
    It's working great for me doing it the way I stated. I just dropped another pound this morning. So BodyMedia users! Your BURN is your TDEE!!!! Run a report using 28 days to get a good average. (Some days you will burn more than others) Use that number as your TDEE then decide on a cut from that.

It really is that simple. :)
  • alesnie
    alesnie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Another question.... I have the bodybugg but I'm pretty sure the Body media fit has an armband too. How do you wear it every day without having this huge arm band showing?! I've tried to wear clothes with more baggy sleeves but I can't do that every day!
  • gypsybug
    Options
    BodyMedia Fit and BodyBugg are essentially the same thing so yeah, there is an armband. And honestly....lol....I just got over it. My band is grey so it's not as noticable as the black, but seriously I just forget it. Most people don't even notice and those that do just ask what it is. Sometimes I get snarky and tell them it's so the police can monitor my whereabouts....but as soon as they go all wide-eyed I throw out the JK!!! and explain what it is.

You can buy new armbands in a range of colors and get skins for the face of the unit too ... if you want to bling it up a bit. Personally I kind of like that I'm showing the world my committment to my own fitness.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    BodyMedia Fit and BodyBugg are essentially the same thing so yeah, there is an armband. And honestly....lol....I just got over it. My band is grey so it's not as noticable as the black, but seriously I just forget it. Most people don't even notice and those that do just ask what it is. Sometimes I get snarky and tell them it's so the police can monitor my whereabouts....but as soon as they go all wide-eyed I throw out the JK!!! and explain what it is.

You can buy new armbands in a range of colors and get skins for the face of the unit too ... if you want to bling it up a bit. Personally I kind of like that I'm showing the world my committment to my own fitness.

Hahahaha, I love your sense of humor! My daughter was asking me what I was going to tell people if they ask about it and I joked with her and said, "I'll just tell them that I'm on parole and being monitored." That should go over well when I pick them up from school...hahahaha!!
  • roro73
    Options
    Another question.... I have the bodybugg but I'm pretty sure the Body media fit has an armband too. How do you wear it every day without having this huge arm band showing?! I've tried to wear clothes with more baggy sleeves but I can't do that every day!

I don't like the questions either. Plus, as an Executive Assistant, I don't think it looks very professional if I'm wearing short sleeves. I wear long sleeves or 3/4's most of the time so I can wear it on my arm (and nobody asks even if they see the bump) but on days I wear short sleeves I put it inside my bra on the left side. I read that in a thread on here somewhere and tested it to see if the numbers were close on a rest day. They were within 100 calories so that's my solution :)
  • roro73
    Options
    It's working great for me doing it the way I stated. I just dropped another pound this morning. So BodyMedia users! Your BURN is your TDEE!!!! Run a report using 28 days to get a good average. (Some days you will burn more than others) Use that number as your TDEE then decide on a cut from that.

It really is that simple. :)

Thank you! I think the first step is me being VERY consistant in wearing the BMF (I used to wear it a day or two, then off for a few days, then repeated that routing). I logged an entire week wearing it last week so I'm basing my numbers off the 7 day report for now. In a few weeks I'll run a 28 day report to get a more consistent average. Thank you for your help!
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Excellent, I now know what to do when mine finally clears customs here in Australia! I can't wait to see what I am actually burning, thank you for the info! :)

Alli
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info!! Mine should be here today! I ordered it because I'm tired of guessing!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit for the same reason. Not as accurate as the BMF from what I understand but a similar idea.. Really had a hard time deciding which route to go but in the end figured size and not wanting to wear something on my arm won out.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i too am using my top number on the BM as my BURN. i hadn't thought to run a 28 day report though. i will definitely be doing that!!

i've only had ONE person make a comment on the armband. my mother. she's very snooty and snotty. she snarled her nose up and nastily said " what is that!?!" otherwise, most people don't seem to notice or care to comment if they do :-)

good luck!!