The Best Foods to Eat for an Apple Shaped Woman

Options
If you're an apple-shaped women -- storing fat around your midsection instead of on your hips, thighs and backside -- you may face increased risks of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. It's speculated that genes dictate body shape, and that body shape is linked with underlying processes, such as appetite, metabolism and insulin control, according to MedlinePlus. Eating the right foods may decrease your risk of disease.

Whole Grains
Apple-shaped women have a higher risk of type 2 diabetes, a lifestyle-related illness growing in epidemic proportions. The disease is preventable 90 percent of the time, according to the Harvard School of Public Health. It's related to obesity and to repeated dips and spikes in blood sugar caused by consuming refined, highly processed carbohydrates, such as donuts, bagels, most ready-to-eat cereals, white bread, white potatoes and white rice. Instead, choose whole grains -- such as rye, pumpernickel and whole wheat bread, barley, slow-cooking oatmeal and whole wheat pasta -- which are digested slowly, to avoid diabetes-causing blood sugar spikes.

Non-Sweet Drinks
Avoid sugary drinks. Soda, sweet tea, fruit drinks, fruit juices, lemonade and other sweet beverages enter the bloodstream rapidly, raising your blood sugar in the same way refined carbohydrates do. They are also high in calories, which cause the excess weight associated with type 2 diabetes. One can of cola typically has 9 tsp. of sugar and 140 calories. Much better choices include water, zero-calorie fruit-flavored water, unsweetened ice tea and skim milk.

Healthy Fats
The risk of developing heart disease is increased for apple-shaped women. Don't avoid fat, which is essential to good health, but do choose the right type of fats. Avoid saturated fat, the kind found in foods, such as red meat and full-fat dairy products, that causes heart disease. Instead, choose good fats -- which actually lower harmful cholesterol, raise good cholesterol and protect your heart and blood vessels from disease. Good sources of healthy fat, which should make up approximately 30 percent of your diet, include olive and canola oils; whole olives; avocados; almonds, walnuts and other nuts; pumpkin and sesame seeds; fatty fish, such as salmon and sardines, and fish oil supplements.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/327507-the-best-foods-to-eat-for-an-apple-shaped-woman/#ixzz1tgbG5yPI

Replies

• Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am going to go against all you've said (I am diabetic) and have found something that works for me. It may not work for anyone else, as we are all different even though we are all (very sweet) apples. :-)

I found that cutting carbs, upping natural fats, reasonable amounts of protein got my weight moving - fast. For a long time I lost everywhere except my tummy. I was like a football with stick arms and legs. :-) All of a sudden the tummy began to shrink. I do drink a lot of water, and eat mainly primal, so all clean (almost). That's just personal choice and I don't think it matters too much. I eat loads and loads of veg, and also berries. I get on average at least eight a day.

I found when my calories were too low, I didn't lose, I didn't gain, but that's not the point. I upped my calories to 1,500 a day, and lose at a steady pound a week. I have had some weeks where I was losing 4,5,6 pounds, but that's no healthy. I have now lost 98 pounds (it was 99 but I gained a pound last week and the week before, but have lost one of those pounds this week). Keep your calories to a sensible level, eat as much fresh or frozen fruit and veg as you can, and drink lots of water. I cut out all grains all gluten and all milk, but unless you have allergies there is no need to be so extreme. This is the plan that worked and is working for me.
  • lucyhross
    lucyhross Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    how many carbs are you eating a day?