Winter

Options
marsoe
marsoe Posts: 18 Member
So the weather has just got a whole lot colder, and I've been a whole lot hungrier.

I can't keep meeting my calorie targets (I've been over every day this week, the longest stretch this year).

Are other people feeling the same?
Should my target be going up - or could I count it somehow?

Replies

• KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to up your exercise to compensate for the extra calories?
  • NaiaNZ
    NaiaNZ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    DEFINATELY feeling the same!!
    Homemade veggie soup is nice and filling and extremely low in calories - It's my go to on cold days when I'm feelig extra hungry and want something to warm me up!
    Make a huge batch and freeze it - Then you just need to defrost when you get a little peckish - Or take to work for lunches! X
  • JuliaWallaceGal
    Options
    Hi There
    I agree about the soup, I made a large pot of pumkin soup - also added carrots, kumera, onion and just boiled with veg and chicken stock - 1 serving is only 67 cals!!
    Oh yes it was icy on my car this morning in the Manawatu!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    There was a documentary on BBC called 10 Things You Need to Know About Losing Weight - you used to be able to see it on Utube but BBC has blocked it on copyright grounds.
    In the documentary they had two groups of army folk - one group had a solid meal followed by a glass of water and the other group had the same meal but it had been blended into a soup along with the water.
    Then the groups went hard out on exercises. They found out that the ones who had the solid meal became hungry before the ones who had the soup.
    The reason was that the blended meal stays in the stomach for longer and in turn the stomach tells the brain that you are still full.
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Soup is awesome, as long as you're not worried about your sodium intake. Winter is always a challenge for me.
  • Lukasmum1
    Lukasmum1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree about the 'winter woes', but I'm going to meet them head on as a challenge!

That is why I have taken my exercise options indoors as well - and at home. Its getting dark by the time I get home from morning shifts - so eat a good tea, digest for a bit, then jump on the Wii for exercise.
    No excuses related to weather or time, or not wanting to go out again.
    And for me it also fills in some of the evening time - I am not a good TV watcher.

If I'm on afternoons, then eat well before work, and take a light tea to work - that is where a hot soup can be ideal, along with crackers and an apple.
    Exercise in the mornings - if its cold and frosty, or wet - out comes the indoor option again, on the Wii.
  • paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    yuck I hate winters in Christchurch. But we have 2 dogs, so walking after work each night is a must. I feel pretty guilty on the odd occasion we don't walk them.
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've been making a quinoa pilaf lately that is just awesome. It turns out like a solid vege soup, is super filling and really low calorie. Basically it's just veges of your choice - I use approx 70g brocolli, 100g cauliflower, 100g cabbage, 180g pumpkin, 100g carrots, large onion and 65g mushroom - either grated or put through the food processor but a little chunky i.e. not pureed. I just cut the mushroom by hand if I am putting mushroom in because I like small pieces of mushroom through it. Cook in 1-2 tbsp oil - I use 1 Tbsp garlic avocado oil to give a nice flavour - until veg is tender. Add in 1/2 cup quinoa and 3 cups of stock of your choice (I use 2 x chicken and 1 x vege) some black pepper and a little paprika and or chilli (or herbs etc of your choice) if you want to and let cook until the quinoa is done. This makes a huge pot full and even if you have it as only 2 servings it's less than 250 cals. I usually can't eat half so 3 servings would actually be quite reasonable and less than 180 cals.

P.S. I use the Ceres organics Super grains not just plain quinoa :)
  • Kimberleycommonname
    Kimberleycommonname Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    oh my god winter can go suck a ****, I just went for a run and it was so cold and windy, it's not even officially winter yet! Ugh!

also: winter makes me consume more hot drinks more than anything so I'm going to keep my coffees to soy and try drink tea as much as possible
  • marsoe
    marsoe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to up your exercise to compensate for the extra calories?
    Nope, I think it's just a baseline thing - your body needs to maintain a constant temperature. Easy when the air is about 16-24 degrees, but when it's below that, your body needs to burn more energy.

I think that it was more of a transition-shock, we went from a couple of weeks of 18-24* days down to 10-12* days, with some really cold nights, and my body suddenly realised it needed to burn more to keep me warm.
  • jamface11
    jamface11 Posts: 87
    Options
    I think this has been my problem the last few days...craving the comfort food :P Especially with the rain tonight in Auckland
  • angenz
    angenz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There was a documentary on BBC called 10 Things You Need to Know About Losing Weight - you used to be able to see it on Utube but BBC has blocked it on copyright grounds.
    In the documentary they had two groups of army folk - one group had a solid meal followed by a glass of water and the other group had the same meal but it had been blended into a soup along with the water.
    Then the groups went hard out on exercises. They found out that the ones who had the solid meal became hungry before the ones who had the soup.
    The reason was that the blended meal stays in the stomach for longer and in turn the stomach tells the brain that you are still full.

I watched this show whilst I was in the UK. It was a great program, I think about that advise often and often makes me have soup. I would also recommend having a decent amount of protein in the soup, though beans and chicken to maintain those hunger levels.

Yumm... chicken soup, which is exactly what I'm having tonight, apart from Vietnamese style :smile: yummmm.......
  • flightlessbirdie
    flightlessbirdie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    yum that looks delicious - will definitely try it....thanks for posting :)