The scale is hardly moving... and I'm finally OK with that!

Options
aggiesrar05
aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
So I've been really working MFP for about a month and a half, I was seeing progress on the scale and then nothing! I stumbled across this group when I was doing research about BRM, TDEE, etc. So one month ago (well more like 3 weeks) I started EMTWL around the same time started CrossFit (exactly 1 month ago).

I'm not going to lie, this has been one hell of a month. I ate more, lifted, trained for my triathlon, and that stupid number on the scale just aggravated me daily, it was ALL OVER THE PLACE! One day I had gained 4lbs the next day lost 6lbs and on and on and on. I know, I know you're not supposed to weigh yourself daily... I even moved the scale to a room that I don't normally go in so that I wouldn't weigh myself daily. Well that didn't work, lets just say that I have visited that specific room probably more in the last month than in the 3 years I've owned my house!

Anyways, one month has gone by. I've read some amazing posts from some inspirational people here on MFP and I took my own measurements.

Measurements - one month after EMTLW, CrossFit, and Tri training
Waist: -3 inches
Hips: -1 inch
Left Thigh: -0.5 inches
Left Bicep: number didn't change but it's less jiggly!!!
Neck - 0.5 inches
Body Fat % (as estimated based on military bf%calculator): -2.8%

I think I can finally say that the scale hardly moved... and I'm OK with that!!

Edited to say: As of today I honestly don't know where my scale went... my boyfriend hid it and won't tell me where it is. (He is doing CF with me and was having the same jumpy scale issue)

Replies

• bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i needed this today.

upped cals (not all the way - baby steps) last week after steadily loosing on a too-low calorie diet but sick of starving. I was 1 lbs away from first goal and i gained a stupid measly .6 of a pound and ive been beating myself up about it all morning!! This was really helpful to see :) great job on all your hard work!!!

ps - im thinking of having my husband hide the scale somewhere for the rest of the month....
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Morning ! I'm back from th gym and I"m little wiped out, so this may not make too much sense : )

Anyhooo ... I'm in the "Eat More" camp - it works, but you do have to find your "sweet spot" and it takes time for your body to settle in. I've been on this journey for a year, but started on the eat more path late last year - broke my plateau - and I started lifting more weights. My scale hasn't moved much since Februaryish (well ...2 pounds in April) , but I've lost 2 sizes since January.

I'm taking a rest next week from lifting - will be doing Core and Outdoor Walking only. The following week, will be taking a diet break - will be eating @ maintenance. Then .. back down to a deficit.

It is a very good idea to ignore the scale - hide it - but alas, I can't make myself do that. I weigh - but I'm keeping it in perspective. I'm finding that I actually like to see the trends - over time, they kinda start making sense. KINDA : )

Stay the course .... if you are eating/exercising at a deficit - the gain on the scale isn't FAT. So ... it's OK - say unkind things to the scale as you are feeling leaner and meaner : )

Jen