Ready to Strength Train...from home...thoughts?

Options
bsinno
bsinno Posts: 358 Member
HI! at home work out vids work best for me and my random schedule. I'm about midway through Jillian Michaels 30DS, but even though it "kicks my butt" i feel like i could be working harder and feeling it more after my workouts so im ready to up the anty.

after reading EVERYTHING on this group board, i want to introduce strength training ito the mix. I'd like to do New Rules but I can't get all the equipment just yet...

Kiki was nice enough to get me on the right track. I' can borrow JM's No more trouble zones, Cathe Fredrich Muscle Max and her Slow & heavy. I have also done research on ChaLean Extreme and i really like that too, but i would have to get it.

Care to share your thoughts on a great at home vid that:
1) is less than an hour
2) doesn't require me to get tons of equipment just yet ( i have dumbells of varying sizes and a band)
3) focuses on strenth training

and is a little fun? LOL

thx

Replies

• techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this question. :) I will be watching for replies.
  • aotto87
    aotto87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love the kettlebells! Not sure if you have ever looked into them. Youtube has tons of videos to follow along.
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm bumpin' this one...

I've done phase 1 of Jillian's 30 day shred (because I found it free on youtube, and wanted to see if I liked it before I bought it), and just picked up Ripped in 30, but would like to get something that's aimed more strictly at weight training, and where I would use heavier weights with possibly less reps, etc.

I, too, don't have much equipment, but am open to picking up a few basics to get started, and then moving on from there...

Input, PLEASE!!!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Check out Supreme 90--it's a $19.99, P90X knock-off that just uses dumbbells and a stability ball. The set has 4 strength DVDs, a few cardio workouts, and some core stuff. The workouts are roughly 30-45 minutes.
  • gypsybug
    gypsybug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have ChaLEAN Extreme and I love it. You don't HAVE to go buy a bunch of equipment. In her video's, she shows herself and one other person using select-tec weights, which are adjustable dumbbells - two people using free weights of various sizes, generally three sets with 5 lb differences - and one person using the various resistance bands that come with the program. If you already have some dumbbells then those, along with the bands would at least get you started.

I actually went to Target and purchased some knock off selectable dumbells that go from 5 to 25 pounds in 5 lb increments. That way they only take up the space of two dumbbells but are the equivalent of 10.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    For me, I bought a TotalGym XL (Yes the chuck norris one) and it works like a friggin champ....also has routines...and folds up neatly.
  • AmyzNewGroove
    AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I love the kettlebells! Not sure if you have ever looked into them. Youtube has tons of videos to follow along.

I just started using a Kettlebell and so far am loving it! Kicks.my.booty in places cardio bas never used, in only 30 min. Best part, only one piece of equipment. (Huge deal for me b/c I have little to no space for storage.) I bought the Bob Harper starter set, but am in the market for a new DVD (the beginner DVD got borking quickly). I've heard good things about the kettleworx set, Lauren Brooks, & Bob Harper.