Is it just water weight?

Options
missyyclaire
missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
A friend on Facebook has been video blogging her 90 plan, something called 'tuf'er'. She's been a big girl (as I am) as long as I've known her. She mentioned her type 2 diabetic status, how she blamed herself (as I have). She's about 2 weeks into her challenge, which is diet and exercise. She mentions gentle yoga and cardio, don't know if she's doing weight training, my guess is yes. She does talk about how sore she is, not surprising as she's just getting used to exercise.

Yesterday she talked about what her trainer told her about 'water weight'. How for one gram of glycogen that is burned off, 3-4g of water are burned off too as glycogen stores water. In her case, she lost 10 pounds pretty fast, but now has stalled. She's been told this is due to that initial water weight loss.

I, being ever curious began to look it up this morning and there are definitely sites out there that mention it, including the Mayo Clinic. Who coincidently has rather limited views on low carb diets and quotes calories in-calories out constantly.

My question is: is this first initial flush of weight loss just water being lost as glycogen stores are being depleted, or is it just part of an ongoing weight loss that will continue as we stay in ketosis? I guess time will tell.

After listening to my friend blame herself for so much, talk about how sore she is, how frustrated she is to be in a plateau (I totally understand, I plateaued for 2 months when my carbs were higher back in Oct-Nov), I have such empathy for her. I debate whether to private message her about what we're doing here. I don't want someone to doubt what they're doing, in fact I'd only want to encourage their good efforts. It's a hard decision as I know what I'm doing hasn't been that long in my life, so does my opinion really count? I think it best to stay on the sidelines for this and perhaps later on mention it. I do worry that I can be too "gungho" about things....

Replies

• laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    A friend on Facebook has been video blogging her 90 plan, something called 'tuf'er'. She's been a big girl (as I am) as long as I've known her. She mentioned her type 2 diabetic status, how she blamed herself (as I have). She's about 2 weeks into her challenge, which is diet and exercise. She mentions gentle yoga and cardio, don't know if she's doing weight training, my guess is yes. She does talk about how sore she is, not surprising as she's just getting used to exercise.

Yesterday she talked about what her trainer told her about 'water weight'. How for one gram of glycogen that is burned off, 3-4g of water are burned off too as glycogen stores water. In her case, she lost 10 pounds pretty fast, but now has stalled. She's been told this is due to that initial water weight loss.

I, being ever curious began to look it up this morning and there are definitely sites out there that mention it, including the Mayo Clinic. Who coincidently has rather limited views on low carb diets and quotes calories in-calories out constantly.

My question is: is this first initial flush of weight loss just water being lost as glycogen stores are being depleted, or is it just part of an ongoing weight loss that will continue as we stay in ketosis? I guess time will tell.

After listening to my friend blame herself for so much, talk about how sore she is, how frustrated she is to be in a plateau (I totally understand, I plateaued for 2 months when my carbs were higher back in Oct-Nov), I have such empathy for her. I debate whether to private message her about what we're doing here. I don't want someone to doubt what they're doing, in fact I'd only want to encourage their good efforts. It's a hard decision as I know what I'm doing hasn't been that long in my life, so does my opinion really count? I think it best to stay on the sidelines for this and perhaps later on mention it. I do worry that I can be too "gungho" about things....

I have been there- where I'm new to something, but I believe strongly in it (Primal Blueprint/Crossfit- being two things I feel this way about), but there is that fine line between offering solicited and unsolicited advice. If she comes to you- I say DEFINITELY tell her what you are doing and why you believe in it...

And as for water weight, I believe in it to an extent- but I think the weight loss that is seen in the beginning aside from "water weight" is a reduction of inflammation from the SAD diet. Since legumes, and grains can cause inflammation, it makes sense that diets that are composed of 90% of this that then revert to high protein and fat would see some immediate benefits, as the inflammation causing foods have been eliminated.
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree with Laurel. I think if she comes to you, it's one thing, but offering advice without that invitation might be off-putting. What has inspired me most on this journey is seeing what those who have had success are doing, both on MFP and on FB or other social sites.

And again, in the end, the person needs to be ready to embrace the change they need, be willing to find out what works for them and then stick to it. That last bit is the most difficult, I think. If you're anything like me and have yo-yoed over the years, it takes a lot of mental work (as well as emotional and physical) to break old habits and modes of thinking.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My friends/family are mostly overweight I think almost all them could be considered with unhealthy BMI. This is my first week in Ketosis and I want to spread the good word lol.. but I learned REAL fast that not everyone wants to hear what I have to say. Most my family thinks Im nuts...and on some "cultish" diet that will end up killing me. My friends are like are you sick?! you lost alot of weight in a short time you might have some cancer or something. The list goes on and on. The fact is the only one that really understands is my husband and thats only because hes seen a drastic difference in my mood swings and my overall attitude within the last week. You really cant argue with the results hes seen first hand!

My best advise is to just keep doing what you do and worry about you first. One of the things ive realized recently is that I put EVERYONES needs before my own and worry about others before myself. I think this "diet" has really open my eyes to the fact that I care more about other people then myself... maybe that is part of the reason I got so big :( didnt put myself first? - Just my observations on myself!
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all of you, for this great advice. I know I can get too effusive when I get excited about something...and I know how I respond to someone in the same frame of mind, I tend to either shut them down or act interested, but deep down I'm thinking they're crazy. I think you're all correct in just sticking with what I'm doing, and if anyone asks, give em the basic explanation. If they want more, I'll yap for sure, but I think you're right in just sticking with my own business.

Hugs!