How Do you get Enough Exercise and Enough Sleep?

Options
2»

Replies

• LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im new to MFP and new to overnights, I work 11p-730a (a year as of November) Im a lot better about sleep. I usually go home, eat something small and stay up until 10am at the lastest and sleep until 4 or 6 (hopefully 6) I get up, do chores, try to squeeze in a small workout, cook dinner for myself and my boyfriend (who also works the same shift) and then off we go. I recently purchased a low calorie cookbook that is helping but I know I need to get up and moving. Need the motivation, any suggestions?
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am in the Air Force and work night shift for a couple months and flip back to day. I usually work alone for a 12 hour shift- I bring in my Insanity videos but I am so tired most tof the time it is hard to motivate myself into getting up and doing it. and then there is always the open snack bar ahhhhhh!

You're totally right. When working nights like that it's not just having the motivation to work out... it's also staying away from the snacking!

Can I just say that I love your profile pic? I don't swing that way, so it's not like that. I just LOVE the cute little 1940's vibe you got going on. Totally cute!
  • 1LRoy
    Options
    Hi, Im new to MFP and new to overnights, I work 11p-730a (a year as of November) Im a lot better about sleep. I usually go home, eat something small and stay up until 10am at the lastest and sleep until 4 or 6 (hopefully 6) I get up, do chores, try to squeeze in a small workout, cook dinner for myself and my boyfriend (who also works the same shift) and then off we go. I recently purchased a low calorie cookbook that is helping but I know I need to get up and moving. Need the motivation, any suggestions?

I've been struggling with this for the last six months (when my scheduled changed to include 2 back-to-back 12 hour graveyard shifts), and there are no easy answers. Here's what it boils down to for me:

1. I work out after I get up but before work because I've found that's when I'm the most likely to actually do it. I don't want to do anything when I get home.
    2. I definitely try to get a good workout in on the day of my first 12-hour shift. At that point I'm making the switch from swings to nights, and I'm usually up early enough to be able to get a decent one in. This is my opportunity, and I seize it!
    3. I try to squeeze in a small workout before my second night shift, even if it's only 15 minutes. It's better than nothing at all. If I simply can't then I don't sweat it.
    4. I try to work out as much as possible on my days off.
    5. I try to fit little mini-workouts in at work by taking walks or doing sit-ups/push-ups/stretches on my breaks.
    6. If you can't get the exercise in that you want, try to be more spot-on with your nutrition. Being sleep deprived makes you less likely to stick with your diet plan because you are more likely to crave fatty/salty/sugary foods.
    7. Getting enough sleep is important! You are not doing your body any real favors if you deprive yourself of sleep to workout. Your body needs both to successfully lose weight.
  • 1LRoy
    Options

I've been struggling with this for the last six months (when my scheduled changed to include 2 back-to-back 12 hour graveyard shifts), and there are no easy answers. Here's what it boils down to for me:

1. I work out after I get up but before work because I've found that's when I'm the most likely to actually do it. I don't want to do anything when I get home.
    2. I definitely try to get a good workout in on the day of my first 12-hour shift. At that point I'm making the switch from swings to nights, and I'm usually up early enough to be able to get a decent one in. This is my opportunity, and I seize it!
    3. I try to squeeze in a small workout before my second night shift, even if it's only 15 minutes. It's better than nothing at all. If I simply can't then I don't sweat it.
    4. I try to work out as much as possible on my days off.
    5. I try to fit little mini-workouts in at work by taking walks or doing sit-ups/push-ups/stretches on my breaks.
    6. If you can't get the exercise in that you want, try to be more spot-on with your nutrition. Being sleep deprived makes you less likely to stick with your diet plan because you are more likely to crave fatty/salty/sugary foods.
    7. Getting enough sleep is important! You are not doing your body any real favors if you deprive yourself of sleep to workout. Your body needs both to successfully lose weight.

Just saw this article on MSNBC today. This is exactly what I was talking about.

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/12/12188651-why-we-go-for-doughnuts-when-were-sleep-deprived?lite
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hello, I work 7p-8a 4 times a week and I workout about 5-6 days a week. I found that if I workout for at least 1 hour before work I feel better and actually able to have a nice burn. I wake up about 2;30-3:00 and leave gym by 4 shower and cook dinner and leave my house by 6p. It seems to work out great!!! On my days off I workout for about 2 hours and my two rest days are usually my 2nd or 3rd night of work straight, but even on those days I manage to do some situps or something.
  • ERRNjenn
    ERRNjenn Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi! I work a mix of 12s and 8s, evenings and overnights. for me, if I am doing 12s overnight (7p-7a) i generally try to go to bed pretty quickly after getting home and I wake up around 3:15-3:30 and do an hour workout then come home shower eat and get to work. It is tough at first, I never used to workout when I did 12s but now it has given me more energy at work! Totally worth it to make the time to get your workout in.
  • asystolern
    asystolern Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i work 12hr nights as an ER nurse. ive found that if i work out before my shift i actually am more alert and need less coffee to get thru the night! it also helps to go home in the morning and be able to go to sleep easier
  • nicpap617
    nicpap617 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings on the days that I work night shift. I work out when I wake up in the afternoon after the nights I work. Then if I'm working back to back shifts, I will wake up about 3pm and run just 2 miles... It's a quick 20-30 min sweat, but feels great and sets you up for a healthy night... and hopefully motivation to stay away from those late night potlucks! Hope this helps :)
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Lots of coffee! Usually workout then after I wake up at 3
  • athompson333
    Options
    I usually work out only on my days off, but starting tomorrow I'm going to try to go on a walk after I get off work. To help wind down and of course to get some sort of exercise.
  • tehpounce
    tehpounce Posts: 64
    Options
    I've been struggling with maintaining a schedule. I'm always tired. My eating is better and I work out but sometimes it's harder to get motivated to work out when I'm always tired.
  • PeaceLoveKarla
    Options
    I work 10 hr shifts at waffle house. It took me nearly 5 months to handle eating healthy on my schedule and now that I have that down I'm trying to fit in exercise but mostly I just do it on my days off. I am usually most concerned with sleep on work days but I'm trying to figure out how to fit some kind of exercise in those days.
  • mauilatina
    Options
    I have also noticed that I crave carbs and junk fast food when I don't get enough sleep. I average around 5 hours. I have not had any luck yet with finding a consistent routine.......:frown:
  • mauilatina
    Options
    what time do you slee???? Kudos by the way!
  • Msdjt75
    Msdjt75 Posts: 24
    Options
    I usually try to go to bed about half an hour or so after I get home, then get up around 3:30, start my work out around 3:45/4:00, eat something then get a shower and head to work. If I don't work a twelve that day I will sleep in a little bit more, but I always try to work out after I wake up instead of before going to bed.

I was always told to work out right before work, makes sense when you think of the increased surge of energy after a workout due to the endorphins, I was encouraged to do this when I went back to nights in April but because I didnt want to shower at the gym, I never did it. so gradually I fell off, and basically from april to this week I fell off completely. gained back 6 lbs in 6 months and at that point I was down 13 lbs with 10-11 lbs to go. so what did I do? ditch the gym, waited for my daughter to go away to college, put the treadmill in her room, and I bang out an hour before work while watching tv. I work ed3 12's in a row this week yet I did it and I felt AMAZING at work, I stayed alert, all night, full of energy, and no cravings. I have tonight off, by the way, it feels amazing to be sitting on my couch in front of the fireplace watching TV. I worked out at 8pm tonight, while watching an hour tv show, despite going to probably be up all night, but I would have been regardless after waking up at 6pm, tomorrow night I am back at it for 1 night, but will still wait to work out until right before work for all the reasons, I stated. if I work out in the morning, then I wont be able to get a nap in cause I will be wired, so I will stay up most of the night and get up at 4:30pm, work out for an hour, get ready for work and Sunday will be my only off day. Hope this helps. We can do this!
  • Msdjt75
    Msdjt75 Posts: 24
    Options
    Hello, I work 7p-8a 4 times a week and I workout about 5-6 days a week. I found that if I workout for at least 1 hour before work I feel better and actually able to have a nice burn. I wake up about 2;30-3:00 and leave gym by 4 shower and cook dinner and leave my house by 6p. It seems to work out great!!! On my days off I workout for about 2 hours and my two rest days are usually my 2nd or 3rd night of work straight, but even on those days I manage to do some situps or something.

love this! I would love to friend you too :)
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I have also noticed that I crave carbs and junk fast food when I don't get enough sleep. I average around 5 hours. I have not had any luck yet with finding a consistent routine.......:frown:

Being overly tired will do it to you everytime

when I am tired and sleepy I want to eat junk

I work sun-thurs nites 10pm to 6am

check out the official nightshift thread or if you are into facebook

check out the nightshift crew group and request an invite ...there are alot ot MFP people there also