Lightly Active vs. Moderate?

Options
Hi everyone,

Im hoping to get some help on the following:

I started working out today on an elliptical i just got and am planning on doing 30 minutes 5 or 6x a week. I dont work so i just basically stay at home all day and do some cleaning around the house and take our puppy out for short walks 2 or 3x a day (anywhere between 10 to 30 min).

Do I classify myself as lightly active or moderate? Not too sure where the cut offs are on each level.

When I calculate my cut with 1.55 i get 1875 calories i should be eating per day....am i supposed to round this number up to 1900 or leave as is?

My info in case its important:
height: 5 2"
Weight: 144
bmr: 1423

Thanks to all! =)

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I would go with moderate. Is there any way to add some strength training, that will help getting you toned if that is what you are looking for. I would say round to the 1850 and if you start to plateau there, then go to 1900.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi,

Can someone please check my numbers for me. I've been stuck in a plateau for a looong time now - getting fed up with it all!

5'3
    154lbs
    2 - 3 x Cardio/strength dvds + 40mins walk. ( Not sure if i should classify myself as lightly active or moderate).
    Part time desk job.
    BMR - Katch M 1352 or Harris B 1419.

I've been eating 1700 - 1850 cals gross, feel better, clothes fit better, BUT only 2lbs flunctuations since last July - No real loss.

I've been told to eat 1700 + exercise cals, but still no joy!
  • mari5283
    mari5283 Posts: 28
    Options
    I would go with moderate. Is there any way to add some strength training, that will help getting you toned if that is what you are looking for. I would say round to the 1850 and if you start to plateau there, then go to 1900.

Thanks! I will bump it up to 1850 then! I would love to add some strength training and am thinking of going to a park nearby where they just added some leg presses and chest workout machines....not the best i guess but at least i can get started with something. Do you have any suggestions as to what would be the best way to estimate calories on that? Also, can i do strength training and cardio on the same day or is it best to divide it up?

Thanks for all the great info on here!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Thanks! I will bump it up to 1850 then! I would love to add some strength training and am thinking of going to a park nearby where they just added some leg presses and chest workout machines....not the best i guess but at least i can get started with something. Do you have any suggestions as to what would be the best way to estimate calories on that? Also, can i do strength training and cardio on the same day or is it best to divide it up?

Thanks for all the great info on here!

Better to lift on one day and do cardio the next. Usually we suggest 3 days lifting and two days HIIT training for 30min. I tend to use the "strength training" in MFP's db. HRM don't accurately estimate lifting burns. If you used the right activity level (moderae) you shouldnt have to eat any extra cals.