Reading NRL4W and a bit confused

Options
terraskye
terraskye Posts: 370 Member
I'm around page 72 of the book but I'm trying to figure out if I shoudl use their calculations for what my intake should everyday when i start Phase 1 or or I should continue going with what MFP says I should.

Also if I'm considered obese is this ok for me to start? I'm 5'8 and 256lbs.

Last question at that weight should I still invest in the protein powder that have have in some of the recipes.

I apologize in advance but I"m not just good with numbers unless someone smacks me and says hey this is a number.

Thank you in advance.

Fiona

Replies

• mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I've been following the book's guidelines as far as calories and eating back any cardio calories. If you're looking to lose weight, you'd just subtract some calories. I also have my macros set at 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat, but I don't follow the meal plan/recipes. I think you should choose whatever protein powder you like best. No need to go with the book's recommendation. Good luck!

PS I think you should start the program now. As you lose weight, you'll love having some muscles to show off!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'8, and I started the program at the end of March weighing around 236lbs (orignially down from 251, where I just ate at a deficit and did cardio)

I try to eat at the 40/30/30 macros, but I ignored the caloric suggestion and eat between 1500-2000 calories, sometimes a bit more as I also do intense (for my fitness level, heh) cardio as well. I have found protein powder extremely helpful, and usually have a protein shake once, sometimes twice a day. My advice with protein powder is to find any low-carb/cal one (I prefer my carbs come from the fruit I blend with it) that is naturally sweetened. As far as taste, in my experience you get what you pay for.

Since starting a new lifting program will be a bit of a shock to your body at first, I would stay eating what MFP set you at for a few weeks, and pay attention to your hunger and energy levels, and if you have lost any inches, and then consider adjusting calorie intake. Do not judge by the number on the scale at all for the first few weeks.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Also just noticed you are in Alberta (me too, I think I replied to you before about workout clothes?) I highly recommend a protein powder called North Coast Naturals 100% Iso Whey, you can get it in chocolate or vanilla and buy it at Superstore. It is a good price for the amount of protein per serving, and it's the best tasting protein powder I've tried so far.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Hi Fiona,

I'm 5'5" and weigh 190, so for me, the book's calculation (with a 300 cal. deficit) is awfully close to MFP's base for me to lose 1 lb./week. The book advises 1404 on non-lifting days (+ cardio calories), and MFP gives me 1430. The book gives me 284 more calories on lifting days (1688/day), so when I track my lifting, I count it as 284 calories, plus whatever I burn in my 10-20 min. cardio warmup b/c I go to the gym early mornings. I custom set the macros to 40% carbs, 30% protein & 30% fat, but at 1430 cals., that's 107 grams, and it only goes up when I add exercise calories.

Obesity is no reason not to start, unless you have a physical injury or medical reason.

Last, about the protein powder, I've just used the one my husband buys, and it's pretty good. I don't have anything to compare it to though. It's EAS brand Myelized (sp?) 100% whey. He gets it at BJ's, and they have it in at least chocolate & vanilla. I have one after I lift for a recovery shake with milk, and sometimes on cardio days I'll have one at night to squeeze in more protein.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies :) I'm about 1/2 way through the book and plan to start phase 1 on Monday. This weekend my hubby and i plan to go down to our fitness room and try to figure out what I'll need to do and how that scary Nautilus machine works lol

@Cloudbstr I'll head up to Superstore today also and check out your recommend. I was going to go to this supplement store but a friend warned me off saying they'd try and sell me everything in there.

Getting really excited now:)

Fi