do you log your binges?

Options
2»

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Most recently I have and it's a cold hard truth staring me back in the face. A couple of them I didn't because I literally just lost control of what I ate and didn't even know where to start with what I had put into my mouth and how to count it and log it. Some of it was shame though, I didn't want to see the damage I had done.

My most recent moments of weakness and binges have been with baked cooks (donuts, a coffee cake) and ice cream treats such as DQ Blizzards.

Prior to that, I had moments of weakness where I would mindlessly grab handful of nuts from containers (my DH buys cashews all the time) and while I know in many ways nuts are good for you, consuming big amounts is not in terms of fat (not talking good fat) and my gosh do the calories add up. I have literally consumed hundred and hundreds of calories by carelessly eating nuts. Sometimes I do the same with crackers. Some are healthier I suppose, fiber crackers, bran, etc. but eating too much defeats the purpose of them being a bit healthier for you. I had a moment of weakness a while back with a sugary cereal where I just dumped some into a bowl, not measuring it, not measuring the milk. Just a bowl of cereal piled high and I had it gone within minutes. I could not believe it. I don't know what prompted it either. Sometimes I don't know how much I consumed, so to be safe I sometimes just double the portion. I tripled the cashew portions.

Sometimes when I see the numbers add up I am shocked, appalled. But sometimes it still hasn't helped me from not doing it again. Sometimes it all manages to fall into my calories, sometimes I might have only gone over by a couple hundred. This weekend I was over by a lot, the most ever since being on here, correction -- the most ever that I took responsibility for and actually logged. I am almost certain now that I have probably blown my calories by a very large amount more than just the recent one.

Being honest with yourself sucks!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    5 not so good food days Wed-Sun - LOGGED
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I always try to log all my binges, even if I have to estimate on a few things because I'm usually too caught up in the moment to bother to track how much I'm eating...
    For instance, today I was faced by a edible art project consisting of boxes upon boxes of chocolates, twizzlers, fruit candies, and rice krispies.. I wasn't able to stop myself :/ and I planned on not eating dinner, but I ate a larger-than-normal one on top of that, full of desserts. Guesstimated what I ate and forced myself to write everything down. Every category in my log has a red number. *sigh*
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. :) I am new to MFP (joined a little over a week ago, I think).

Last night I binged on sugar stuff mostly (my binge food of choice, I guess), and I contemplated not logging that.

Then I realized that I'm logging food for _me_. There is a reason why I am so overweight; hiding my eating habits, even the ones I'm ashamed of, doesn't do me any good. Hiding keeps me in the old ways of coping and thinking instead of encouraging me to explore new, healthier ways of coping.

So, even though my log is public, I logged everything as best I could.

I'm glad I did because, wow, I can really see how that one binge affected my daily totals. That's something that I really want to be more aware of. Also, I can look at the whole day and see where I made better choices--so I am trying to avoid the "it's either all good or all bad"/black and white thinking.

I did my best to pinpoint my emotional triggers that led to the binge; I hope to learn to do this pre-binge rather than just post-binge so that I can avoid the binge altogether.

Baby steps, I guess.

In sum, I decided to be honest in my food log, no matter how much it hurts. :)
  • kristenlees122
    Options
    yes, i log them... makes me feel crap, but i need to be reminded thats what binging does to me.
  • curvysunshine
    curvysunshine Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When you're a binger and on a diet you have to think about food all. Freaking. Day. Can I have this? Can I have that? You finish breakfast and start worrying about lunch. It's like putting a drug addict in charge of a pharmacy and sometimes I just want to eat and not have to worry anymore. :(
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to, but I do now. I want to know exactly the damage they are now. Generally an entire day will log in somewhere at 4000 to 6000 calories!
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I no longer count my calories but when I did I would start to count but then eventually lose control of what I ate and not count. My accountability is my gut!!! I know when I eat that much my gut grows really big so why beat yourself up more by knowing how much you ate.
  • KassieCanDoThis
    Options
    Maybe not each and every item but i try to get a rough estimate of the calories and use the quick add tool to add them
  • KassieCanDoThis
    Options
    When you're a binger and on a diet you have to think about food all. Freaking. Day. Can I have this? Can I have that? You finish breakfast and start worrying about lunch. It's like putting a drug addict in charge of a pharmacy and sometimes I just want to eat and not have to worry anymore. :(

Thats why i joined this group i feel the same way! I think to myself at least once a day "Couldn't i just be fat and happy?" "Or why cant i be like my friends they eat unhealthy but their not huge." Than i remember they may eat unhealthy but they dont eat when they are not hungry and can stop when they are full
  • Runs4Food
    Runs4Food Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I thought your post made perfect sense-write out the emotions verses tring to log all the calories through a binge. I ususally don't journal or record binge calories but am learning that recording while I am binging my help me. Thanks--I am new to joining in on discussion groups.
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hi, Runs4Food. Welcome. :)