Hot yoga

Options
I'm a newbie yogini (just 3 classes under my belt but I love it!) and I've been trying out all the different classes my yoga studio has to offer, so far I've done Forrest, Hatha and Jivamukti. I enjoyed Jivamukti the most, it was the most challenging and quick paced.
I'm a bit scared of hot yoga as I'm not very confident yet and it seems like the practise of more advanced yogis, just wondering anybody else's experience with this style? love it/hate it I would love to know

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Usually the only difference is the room is heated. Should be similar to Forrest or Jivamukti - though if it is Bikram based, it will be the same 32 poses each time.

Hot yoga is for people who like to sweat. You will be able to stretch more in a heated room (though I heard a study that any hotter than 90 degrees doesn't help you any more and the risk of dehydration is high when you go hotter than that). Also, sad but true, you will not burn more calories.

Hope that helps.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I actually have yet to try hot yoga. But I hear from friends, you either love it or hate it---the heat feels good to some and some find it too uncomfortable. I personally generate enough heat in my power class so I don't think I could handle any more sweat..lol I think yoginimary said it well above:)

It's great that you get to try out difference classes at your studio:) just like in any class, I'm sure there are different levels and you can always adjust and do what works for you until you get more experienced. good luck!
  • catherine_rose
    Options
    I only just checked this thread, thanks ladies :)
    I think I would enjoy the heat as I love saunas and they are much hotter
    I'll put it on my list of things to do when I'm more in shape (as I understand minimal clothing is advised), I think I'll stick to Jivamukti for now :)
  • coconutflower
    Options
    I LOVE hot yoga :) I love it because it's a challenge and it provides more cardio benefits than your average yoga class. Make sure to stay hydrated throughout the day if you plan to go and wear less clothing because you sweat a lot. But the sweat is very detoxifying and makes for a very satisfying workout. Definitely give it a try - and you will get used to the heat after the first 1-2 classes! It's my favourite yoga style by far!
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Usually the only difference is the room is heated. Should be similar to Forrest or Jivamukti - though if it is Bikram based, it will be the same 32 poses each time.

Hot yoga is for people who like to sweat. You will be able to stretch more in a heated room (though I heard a study that any hotter than 90 degrees doesn't help you any more and the risk of dehydration is high when you go hotter than that). Also, sad but true, you will not burn more calories.

Hope that helps.

Beg to differ... I will be wearing a HRM tonight just to test this out, but I GUARANTEE you I burn more calories in a hot class than regular. Just the simple fact that your body has to work harder to cool itself means you will burn more. My HR is at least in the 160s during hot class, I am certain. Faster HR = more cals burned.
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    I wore my HRM in a hot class tonight and burned 593 calories in 60 minutes. Just FYI! :blushing:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors do not read accurately when used in a heated room:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/577617-heart-rate-monitor-for-yoga

or

http://health.msn.com/healthy-living/is-yoga-a-fat-burner

Think of it this way - do you burn more calories sitting outside on a really hot day than you do sitting inside in the AC? What about a cold day - do you burn more because you are shivering? If heat worked, we could just walk outside on hot day.
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    Heart rate monitors do not read accurately when used in a heated room:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/577617-heart-rate-monitor-for-yoga

or

http://health.msn.com/healthy-living/is-yoga-a-fat-burner

Think of it this way - do you burn more calories sitting outside on a really hot day than you do sitting inside in the AC? What about a cold day - do you burn more because you are shivering? If heat worked, we could just walk outside on hot day.

I understand what you're saying here, but if heart rate didn't really matter, then why bother measuring it during any exercise? If my HR gets up to 160 in a hot class, my body is working harder than if it's at 115 in a regular class; same would be true if it was 160 while I ran vs 115 while I walked.

I'm not stating this based on sweat. And yes, according to this article, your BMR changes in both hot and cold temperatures, based on what you're doing. No, I don't think you are going to drop 20lbs simply by sitting outside, but if your rate of caloric burn is affected by how high your heart rate is, then yes, you will burn more calories because it is hot. If I can physically feel my heart thumping out of my chest sitting outside on a hot day, I know I'm burning at least slightly more calories than when I'm sitting in my air-conditioned living room. My heart rate is elevated and my body is working harder. This is the same effect phentermine has on the body (I'm not advocating using phentermine) -- it raises the heart rate to increase metabolism (and also stifles appetite).

http://www.livestrong.com/article/526014-does-your-body-burn-more-calories-if-you-are-hot-or-if-you-are-cold/
  • coconutflower
    Options
    Science aside, I know from personal experience hot yoga burns more calories than regular. I've been using hot yoga to lose weight for 30 days now, and my weight loss speed is significantly higher than when I just did regular yoga. And I always re hydrate so I know its not just purely due to water loss. Just my two cents :)
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    Science aside, I know from personal experience hot yoga burns more calories than regular. I've been using hot yoga to lose weight for 30 days now, and my weight loss speed is significantly higher than when I just did regular yoga. And I always re hydrate so I know its not just purely due to water loss. Just my two cents :)

Great job! :flowerforyou:
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I got a great deal for 10 hot yoga classes for $20 on Groupon. My first class was rough, I had to step out of the class for a minute. I've never done Yogay before, but I heard about hot yoga from a friend. I really wanted to try it to help stretch out my muscles. I sit all day and I thought it would feel good to get a good stretch and learn about yoga and maybe burn a few hundred calories! I've now completed my 5th class last night and I was able to do some of the stretches better than when I began! It's hard, but I feel so much better after and boy do I get a good night sleep! I try to go once a week as I'm doing weight lifting and cardio at my gym. The hot yoga helps with my sore muscles too. Regardless of exactly how many calories you burn with Hot Yoga, it's great for the body for much more than burning calories and if you like sauna's or can stand being hot, I would give hot yoga a try. :flowerforyou:
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've been in hot yoga and I love it (as long as the air is dry and circulating!!!)
    You burn more calories, and are less prone to injury.

Bikram is boring sport yoga, but if that's your thing it's easy enough to memorize the level one routine after one or two lessons. The more advanced postures of it are fun, just like sport acrobatics. Not allot of flow in Bikram, just exercises to strengthen the participant in order to get to more advanced sport yoga postures quickly. The instructors talk non stop and put down other styles of yoga, or are undeducated in other types of training that does the same thing. There are the rare Bikram yoga instructors who don't tout a vegan lifestyle of pure bikram yoga and tofu, but I have yet to come across any. oh well. to each his own. Bikram hot yoga classes are the same exact routine anywhere you go.

I love how hot yoga opens up the circulatory system. I'm actually thinking of leading an outdoor yoga class in my city for the summer where the heat index is about 110 in the evening.